Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
I could give a rats ass if they say the Triunph is better. They can pry my Corse from my cold dead hands. Im sure a new Corvette will smoke my car as well..but i wouldnt trade that either.

Besides, the two bikes are so close, a crappy rider like me would never be able to exploit the differences, on street or track.

I ride what moves me. Not what some magazine jockey says. Period.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I wish I had their job. Get paid to test bikes and write about it. Where do I sign up?

Their complaints on the handling of the 848 seem to be pretty standard, well known and have readily available cures. Ducati setup the 848 so that short squaty people can sit on it without having a step ladder. That screws things up for the handling, fine for riding to starbucks but suckville for riding twisty roads at a brisk pace.

I'd love to see a similar comparison of the 848 like mine against a similarly setup 675 (or anything else). The combination of the DucShop triples, rear shock perch and the ride height adjuster my 848 feels planted and as flickable as my ZX6. Only problem is that those pieces along with full Ohlins turns a $14K bike in to closer to a $20K bike. But it's still a sweet ass ride.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
This is so typical of reviews of Ducatis: harder to turn in; suspension too stiff or not balanced; etc.

It's true enough to be a cliche that Ducati struggles with getting the out-of-box setup right, but the flip side is that attention paid to the suspension pays huge dividends. Ducatis are also harder to ride than some other bikes, but that makes them interesting to own, and they challenge you to improve.

Tweak the suspension and master the art of riding that 848 and I'll bet you'll be a better (and happier) rider than a 675 jockey.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,409 Posts
Same here
It's so sad dude... somewhere along the line, and it probably coincided with the ascension of media and automotive press (Cycle World, Motorcyclist, etc. etc.) it became more important to riders to have what would be publicly identified as a "hot bike", instead of basing their decision on what viscerally appealed to them the most.

My parents told me one of Aesop's fables when I was young called "The Dog and it's Reflection" about a dog and his steak bone. He loved his steak bone and carried it everywhere with him. One day as he walked alongside a stream he noticed another dog with another bone pacing him step by step (his reflection in the stream). Upon closer inspection, staring directly into the water, he found that the "other dogs" steak bone looked just as good as his. Unable to bear the thought of another dog having a steak bone as good as his, he dropped his into the water to take the bone from the "other dog", but at the moment when his hits the water, both disappear.

Moral of the story, or at least what I took from it... if you are happy with what you have, then be content.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would have to agree 100% that the 675R is by far an easier machine to go faster on than the 848 Corse.

I raced a 675 and an 848 and was by no means the fastest guy on the track but absolutely agree that the 848 takes a ton more effort than the 675.

I also agree with you guys on what I would rather have as a track/street bike, hands down the 848.

The 675 is one sweet race/track bike, especially with the killer race Arrow titanium full system. Damn I miss that bike. For me it was effortless, try one sometime you will not be dissapointed.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
I find it hard to believe that the 848 has less low rev thrust than the675 as the review claims. Other than that who cares but I did enjoy reading the youtube comments. Whenever I think things have become inane on here, I know I can head on over to YouTube for a whole new level of ignorance.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just rode a 1199 Panagale S w/termi system on track yesterday at Jennings GP race track. Let me tell you, this has been addressed and then some. It handles lighting quick with no effort. I'm sure a middleweight Panagale will be along before to long as well. In fact the Panagale handled so quick and had a top end weighted powerband it seemed more like an Asian 600 then any Duc I ever rode..

·
Registered
152 Posts
LOL I tried out the 1199 at Jennings on Monday also. I Knew the bike wasn't for me by the time I did the second lap . Handling was good but the power delivery was not the way I like and the engine felt industrial. So I got back on my 675 and that was that . if the Panagale had the 999r from my Xerox I think it would be a bike for me. I need a smooth broad power band and a bike that is forgiving and turns with a thought . perhaps the 799 wil lbe more to my liking . but motorcycles are in the eye of the beholder :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts