Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I considered doing a ride report on this forum, but decided against it for two reasons.

First, I had already completed a RR on ADV and had no interest in repeating the same story.

Second, I wanted to post something in the HYPerMOtard forum because I felt that I owed to yous bunch of tards. It is my take that there are a lot of you on here who really believe in the product, as I do. It may be just my misunderstanding, but I don't believe that "regular" Ducati people "get" tard people. I admit, I could be wrong about that.

Not your momma's Hyper.

This little trip has three basic phases.

The first phase involves comparatively less bike time and more hike time. There were places that I simply had to see that could only be seen on foot. This phase takes place at the beginning of my trip because those destinations are the most distant from my home.

The second phase is Moab area. Gemini, Mineral Point, WRT, Poison Spider...

The third phase is southwestern Colorado. Black Bear, Ophir, Silver Creek, Tin Cup, Toll Road...

THE PREPARATION....................H

*G2 throttle tamer (I told the G2 peeps that it could use more taming)
*Swapped to the larger oil cooler and oil cooler rock guard
*Swapped out the anemic fuel tank (110 mile range) for the 6.9 gallon model
*Pod air filter covers
*Relocated voltage regulator to get more air
*Relocate horn
*Installed Cogent Dynamics fork cartridge
*Installed Ohlins shock sock
*Broke off both front and rear carbon fiber fenders (not by choice)
*TKC80's
*Termi full system with DP ecu
*14 and 45 gearing
*Bought a used sub-frame and welded on hoops to mount my Wolfman sm. rollies
*Put folding tips on shifter and rear brake lever
*Installed long frame sliders and fork sliders
*Custom sliders for bar ends which double as mounts for folding mirrors
*Lane splitter folding mirrors
*Welded spacers to widen the foot pegs
*Custom right side delrin case cover
*Custom stainless steel horizontal valve cover guard
*DP comfort seat
*Hope for the best for the horizontal exhaust pipe

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PHASE ONE

Grand Staircase Escalante
Here, there was short stints of riding between long stints of hiking and camping. I wanted to hike to these places early in the trip because I didn't really know how long that I would last on this trip.

One from northern Arizona first.

The first sand roads in Grand Staircase. I nearly decided to go through this.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Long Canyon (FS 750)
A sandy road that would lead to a hike into Buck Skin Gulch (slot canyon) and Cobra Arch.
This wash twernt no fun.

The trail head near where I would later camp. Mid nineties temp.

Hiking to the Cobra Arch. Not easy to find.

The Cobra.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought that the hike to the Cobra would take about 1/2 a day. Boy was I wrong. It was all that I could do to get there and back in a whole day. So I camped here and would assault the slot canyon the next day. (Sorry that there's not more Hypermotard at this point. It just worked out that way)

What an ordeal, getting inside this slot. It is 23 miles long, has an entrance on either end, AND the one that I am trying to find. This is on the way in.

Down there is where I want to be.

How to get in the slot (not my pic).

My pic going in.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I finally leave the Long Canyon, it is raining. The soil is not soaked and the sandy parts give pretty good traction. But, there is a section where the road goes down a ridge, with exposure on both sides. I didn't slip, but i was sure scared.

On to Hole In The Rock.

This area was easy most of the time. But, the road falls down into and area where it crosses 4 times, and then follows a wash for a hundred yards or so. The crossings are murder, because they have a 3 foot drop where the road has been cut off. I have to build a lot of ramps with rocks and soil, so that I can get up them. There is a lot of sand. Bummer.

I REALLY want to get down to Harris Wash trail head.

Camping that night.....getting ready for my big day. The sign says, "No dogs in Coyote Gulch". We'll they ought to do something about the coyotes. In this place, they are doing that "laughing" thing all night long.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Awesome build & pics. I'm not quite sure which is more awesome, the bike or the pics. I'll go with the pics as Mother Nature is hard to compete against. You really have an eye (for both bike & pics). Congrats!

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you, everyone, for the nice words! Much appreciated.

Reading back over what I posted yesterday, it sounds exactly like a ride report. :grin2:

I did not intend for this thread to be that way. I basically, just wanted to show what a versatile bike this Hypermotard can be. Well, I'll just go with the flow here. I hope that you all enjoy.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^ No sir. That's just mud. One of the great things about Utah is that there are few flying insects, so I imagine that this keeps the bats batted back.

As for animals, there are lots of big beetles, regular bunnies, jackrabbits, and lizards. I don't remember a single mosquito.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It wasn't easy getting down to the Harris, but I was hoping that it would pay off. The Cobra and Buck Skin hikes had put blisters on my feet, but I really wanted what was in the Harris.

The first target was the Big West Red Breaks slots. The second was Cosmic Mountain. I had a topo map and some coaching from what I had read on line prior to leaving home. But, I really didn't know where anything was. I knew that the Cosmic was out there, but I didn't know which mountain that it was on my topo.

The Red Breaks produce some awesome color, but they are tricky to get into them and they are even more difficult to traverse. When I tried, the coaching that I had read didn't match up with what I had found... The climbing was more sketchy than I had expected. But, more importantly, this slot had a lot of water pools in it. Some folk like swimming in stagnant water in very confined spaces. Not me.

You don't want to fall here.

Not using the slot would cost me several miles of cross desert wandering, looking for a mountain that I wouldn't recognize from any of the others.

There it is, with the notch.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And...the reason for all the trouble. (self portrait using remote)

From the top of the mountain.

6 miles back to camp and I am out of water. Camp is just behind that dark spot in the center, below that lowest notch in the distant mountain range. Sure wish I could have ridden up here. Today was 15 miles walking in sand.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I decide to camp at Wide Hollow Reservoir because they have a shower. But more importantly they have awesome swimming. This will be the first time that I have seen or talked to any people in 4 days. I chat with a fellow who is pulling a camper and traveling with this wife. He said that he liked my Duc a lot, and that he had both a street and dual sport back home. I could tell that he was now sort of bummed about his trip. Sorry bro.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts