Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
What forks are you trying to fit to what bike? There may be an easier solution. For example, if this is a 916 series and you have an Ohlins lower triple but want to put Showa forks, then Showa lower triples are pretty easy to find for less than $100. If you want something nice, I've got a set of black anodized billet 53/53 triples. I'd even be interested in trading for a 56mm lower triple.
I have 53/53 Öhlins FGRT819 forks on my 999 and bought some IMA billet 53/56 triples. I'm currently using a 1098 53mm lower triple.

·
Registered
542 Posts
You mention individual shims, are you talking about inserting small pieces at various points between the fork and triple clamp? If so, no one is suggesting that, the shim stock is used a sleeve with a small gap to allow compression so there isn’t any sacrifice of strength of connectio.
Yes, individual shims. That's what "shim stock" [ versus sleeves ] means in some businesses, such as construction. Thus, my cautionary post. So, for us non-pro/am racing dudes, perhaps post up pix of what you guys are talking about when you talk about shimming vs sleeving forks within the triple clamp?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yes, individual shims. That's what "shim stock" [ versus sleeves ] means in some businesses, such as construction. Thus, my cautionary post. So, for us non-pro/am racing dudes, perhaps post up pix of what you guys are talking about when you talk about shimming vs sleeving forks within the triple clamp?

·
Registered
542 Posts
OK, I had no idea this stuff even existed. So you buy it in rolls and cut to fit, eh? [sorry, couldn't resist]. Also couldn't help noticing the box sez steel, while the material to right appears brass-ish. If you used steel, it'd start a galvanic reaction against the aluminum triples & fork tubes. For a street bike this would become an issue.

·
Registered
65 Posts
just took 2 sets of shims out of my 748.

it had monster forks in it so the upper triple and handlebars were shimmed.

im putting super bike forks back in and awaiting a new lower triple (someone machined it out to accept the monster forks.

Shims will be available once my fork job is done

21 - 26 of 26 Posts