Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
read on here a while back that some one made some sleeves to fit smaller diameter forks in a triple clamp with larger tube diameters. any one know any thing about that?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The differences are too small usually for a machined sleeve. It's more likely to be just shim stock. Even a sleeve would need a split in it for compression. You might find some material that is at size. A 3mm difference is 1.5mm shim.

Not saying it can't be done. If MBP can make those amazing valve retainers they do anything is possible.

·
grand poobah
669 Posts
Had a set a few years back. Used em when I put a 749r triple on my 748 with showa forks. Now have I Ohlins in the triples on the 748RS. My sleeves were made by a buddy who works in a local machine shop. I sold the sleeves here for about $80, I tried to give the money back to him, but he insisted I give it to he animal humane society instead. Should have sent a check as I almost came home with a puppy! I already have a Treeing Walker Coon Hound from the humane society, a second would have been bad. It must have been about 5 years ago. Best wishes Brad.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I got a local friendly engineer to turn me some for my Monster - 0.5mm thick to fit 53mm forks into a 54mm clamp;

I put a cut in them before fitting.
Did pretty much the same as DD. Made a set out of alloy ones for my showa forks. Fitted in the bottom yokes for ohlins forks.:wink2:

·
Registered
6,113 Posts
Shim stock would work just as well for a couple of bucks, but that wouldn’t be the way Ducatisti do it. Maybe Titanium ?

·
Registered
542 Posts
I recommend against individual shims to bridge the gap as it may sacrifice the strength of the connection, which is based on surface friction. the forks and triples should act as a unit in resisting considerable stresses where the components come together.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
I recommend against individual shims to bridge the gap as it may sacrifice the strength of the connection, which is based on surface friction. the forks and triples should act as a unit in resisting considerable stresses where the components come together.
It’s not a problem.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,841 Posts
Where are you? I can do it but I'm in Australia, freight may kill it.
What forks are you trying to fit to what bike? There may be an easier solution. For example, if this is a 916 series and you have an Ohlins lower triple but want to put Showa forks, then Showa lower triples are pretty easy to find for less than $100. If you want something nice, I've got a set of black anodized billet 53/53 triples. I'd even be interested in trading for a 56mm lower triple.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I would be interested to know which types of bikes and applications.
You mention individual shims, are you talking about inserting small pieces at various points between the fork and triple clamp? If so, no one is suggesting that, the shim stock is used a sleeve with a small gap to allow compression so there isn’t any sacrifice of strength of connectio.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts