Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, although I don't possess the 'cojones' that desmofetish does on this site... to pick up, leave career and comfy living and travel his whole life, I do have a nasty bug for travel that I indulge whenever possible. December 2008 was New Zealand on a bike, and thanks to monstaman and toddy on this site... I had an amazing time and met incredible people.

I have this thing for green island nations, and july 4th weekend I'll be heading to iceland for a few days (limited time off work.) I'm going for the nature, to indulge my anthropological curiosity and see how people are coping with the financial disaster the country is going through, and to meet some ducatisti and see how they live their motorcycling passion in such a northern country. As a final objective, I'd like to try out some icelandic pu$sy.. sorry for being crass, it's the truth... before I get married I have to get me some of that.

So, if anyone is from iceland and has suggestions for what to do there (i'll probably be in reykjavik) drop me a PM or post to this thread. If someone has visited there, lend some advice to a novice. If there is a ducati club (looked, didn't find) let me know.

grazie, and Ciao.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, a bunch of views to this thread, but no one posting, no one has biked through iceland, visited, knows about ducatis there? whisky tango foxtrot people... need the info! :D

did find an amazing write up of a couple of compadres (italian ones) who did an awesome trip from italy to iceland on bmw gs1200's... just the pictures are worth the clickthrough... truly breathtaking.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282019

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aha!

AHA, i found their local ducati club chapter... now if I could only write them in that cool language of symbols that my computer doesn't understand I'd be set!

http://www.dociceland.is/... going to contact them to see what's up.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
ok, ok, I get it... "this thread is useless without pics" which is why I'm still flying solo. Here's a pic of flaura and fauna as demanded (i'm sure) by you lousy lot, and an update:

Halli from ducati iceland contacted me, group ride setup... and hotel suggestions made... I love the internet, I love exotic locals, I love the ducati community. More solo posts to come...

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,557 Posts
Ahhh, now your getting the debaucherous nature of your fellow Ducatista ;)

·
Registered
824 Posts
I think I remember someone posting on ducati.ms from Iceland awhile back. Can't remember thier screen name though. Good luck & have fun. Wish I could go.
Gregg

·
Registered
824 Posts
Alexio.............

I just did a search & found that the ducati.ms member from Icelands screen name is krilli. The last time he posted was only 6 days ago. Send him a PM.
Gregg

·
Registered
100 Posts
Alexio, I lived in Keflavik for some time. Now is the perfect time to visit, the weather is great, the days are long...very long, and there are beautiful women behind every tree. Pay no attention to the fact that there are none down south:D I do recall a small group of Ducatisti out of Reykjavik, but at the time I was not with Ducati so I never had the opportunity to ride with them.

The roads are great, where they are paved. The number of paved roads is much less the further inland. This time of year, I would head up north to Akureyri. It is absolutely beautiful up there, and they have trees;)

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
really, so you're telling me there is a difference in the quality of the "ahem" trees between the north and the south? you sound like a knowledgeable arborist... maybe I'll leave the clubs of reykjavik to go look for some more natural entertainment.

also, gregg, thanks for looking that guy up... I'll find him and PM him. See, I knew this thread would go somewhere eventually :p

·
Premium Member
2004 998S FE, 2000 748B, 1986 750 F1
2,408 Posts
Alexio I am so sorry I didn't see this post when you first made it. No, I don't have any experience of visiting Iceland, but I do know Halli and his wife. If you hook up with Halli, he will certainly look after you. He is a great guy and we still send messages to each other. His wife is lovely too.

Have fun, although I have not been to Iceland, another friend has and says it was great!

PS Icelandic people love doing crazy things like 4 wheel driving on glaciers and driving down the sides of volcanic craters (extinct ones) in hotted up type dune buggies - or so Jeremy Clarkson said.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just bought ticket... will be sure to do all the volcano hopping dune buggy whatever activities I can fit in or afford. Mostly hoping to ride a bike though... found rentals but at 150 euros /day @!!!!!!!!!! I may only rent one for 1 day. :eek:

oh yea... and to make this thread worthwhile here is a random picture again (i'll have some proprietary ones when I come back... but for now a pic of Asdis Ran will do)

Attachments

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So... after getting bounced off of 2 flights to Boston (I was flying standby)... I get on and there is horrible weather at Logan. Their ILS is broken! Pilot misses runway twice in thick fog... not fun. We make a final attempt, wing almost touches runway, plan crabbed sideways, huge jolt and we are safe and sound on the ground. All flights to europe are delayed, so I think I'm ok...Run to terminal and of course the only one that left is mine for Reykjavik.

Icelandair tried to get me to buy a whole new ticket for tonight's flight... we argue in Icelandic and Italian... Italian wins (I gave them the Italian version of Whisky Tango Foxtrot) and so I'm stuck in boston for the day.. .but hopefully boarding tonight's flight.

phew... this thread is still worthless without pics... but if someone wants pics of Boston I'll be happy to provide. This is the awesome hotel I'm staying at... the Lenox... highly recommend it.

Attachments

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi,

Icelander here :)

Technically I don't know if I am even a ducatisti, I don't even have a bike ... but I can certainly try to make the trip here bearable. My girlfriend runs a breakfast cafe, the bacon/eggs/pancakes/syrup type, Grái Kötturinn. (It's actually in the Lonely Planet books I believe.) Mention Ducatis and you'll get some kind of deal ...

PM'ing you my phone number.

And also, yes, try to contact Halli. I haven't met him but he's an avid Ducatisti, plus his hospitality and friendliness are legendary.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Have fun! I was in Reykjavik for a couple of nights last month. It is an absolutely beautiful city. I would love to return there sometime.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I did not have to use me heated-vest.
LOL!!! That is awesome! The weather in the "summer" is fantastic! Please understand that Iceland only has winter followed by a mild spring, rinse and repeat...man, I miss that place;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts