Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I have a problem that i cant figure out. I have an 01 748. The problem is when i am ride the bike it will start to stall likes it starving for gas. To fix the problem i shut off the bike and wait about 30 seconds and restart it and its fine and i can drive for hours and no problems. it can happen 3 times in a day or not happen at all, its very weird i have replaced the fuel filter, plugs and i replaced the cracked fuel hose inside the gas tank, which i taught was the problem, but it wasn't. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
+1 on checking the vent..

When the bike shuts down, open the gascap. If you here a pressure/vacuum release, then the venting is your problem. Check the little rubber gromet at the back of your gascap to start with.

//amullo

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the hose and the gromet by hand and they both seem fine i will have to wait til tomorrow to ride the bike to check to see if there is any pressure release when it dies.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Try blowing through the grommet to see if you can feel any resistance. Also you should note that if you have overfilled the gas tank, some fuel may have gotten into the charcoal canister. A lot of strange things such as hard starting or engine cutting out may happen if you have fuel in the canister. If that is the case, try removing the canister and emptying out the fuel.

-Fariborz

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
74eight said:
I checked the hose and the gromet by hand and they both seem fine i will have to wait til tomorrow to ride the bike to check to see if there is any pressure release when it dies.
In my case on my '02 998, the grommet did not line up correctly with the little pinhole in the cap. A little readjusting and my problems went away. Took a few tries to get it right.

bruce19

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fariborz said:
Try blowing through the grommet to see if you can feel any resistance. Also you should note that if you have overfilled the gas tank, some fuel may have gotten into the charcoal canister. A lot of strange things such as hard starting or engine cutting out may happen if you have fuel in the canister. If that is the case, try removing the canister and emptying out the fuel.

-Fariborz
I am having the same problem in ST2. I thoght the canister was for California legal bikes? Can we remove the canister?

·
Registered
319 Posts
theductor said:
I am having the same problem in ST2. I thoght the canister was for California legal bikes? Can we remove the canister?
In the US, all Ducatis are California emission compliant! You can remove the canister and some of its plumbing, but then we will all breath the fume! It is also illegal! ;O)

-Fariborz

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've doubled checked everything today, all hoses seem fine i blew through the canister and i can hear air coming up through the gas cap, so that should be fine, i also checked to see if there were any corroded wires by the regulator, nothing. Any other ideas. I hope i can figure this out in the next two weeks because i will attending the penguin racing school and would hate to have the bike act up on the track.

·
comrade moderator
26,842 Posts
Sounds like it could be time to get a pro involved, espically if you want to be on the track in two weeks. Better hop!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only problem with taking it to someone would be that it would be running fine and i can it drive for days and it doesn't happen, its just weird, what i did notice was right after it happen the last time my blinkers didn't work and now they are working fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts