Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so a few mos ago I purchased 2 diagnostic cables...1 K&N High flow air filter and a DP ECUuuuuuuu...

Ok let me stop with the Christmas crap and get serious here.

In order to get this ECU installed I was trying to find a Ducati dealer to do their thang but no dealer would touch my bike.

Ultimately I decided to do this myself and purchased the cables needed to adjust the trim as instructed in a "how to" thread.

Once I obtained, tested and connected it all together (cables and ECU) I proceeded to reset my TPS and moved on to do the trim. If I remember correctly JPDiag program said that factory setting was somewhere between 18-22. I practice reading my ECU with my OEM one and it read a setting of 13.

I proceed to swap the ECU to the DP one, initially it struggled to stay on, I could smell the gas like whoa! So I lowered the setting to like 8 and eventually ended at 3. Took it out for a test ride, I felt it a lil sluggish them I got back to my garage, put it on N and died. I hooked her back up and lowered the setting a bit more...yes I was skeptical in doing so but I think I got to like -3 and it ran fine even after I got back from a test ride.

Now the bike isn't modified that much. I do have a cat delete, air filter and that's pretty much it oh and I run premium on gas too. Next in line is to open up the air box and core the exhaust.

Temp that day was pretty cool in the high 30's @ 1,142 amsl

I also happen to accidentally find out (after the fact) that I should be using a wideband o2 & A/F meter to see the mixture of each cylinder all which was not mentioned on the initial "how to" thread.

The question is, should the setting be that low for minimal mods to my bike? Has anyone done this and come close to this setting with similar mods?

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
Without knowing what your AFR/TPS is for each cylinder, everything is just guessing. If you want to use a wideband O2 sensor and ScanST, GuzziDiag, contact Punch and see what he can do for you.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Updated guide to logging and mapping here. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/241-tec...gging-mapping-info-questions.html#post5506913

Updates include Jerry's experience of losing data if the bike is switched off before clicking F3 in ScanST.
Also a final bullet point sequence for logging, which is all that is required after doing all the initial set up steps in the guide.

What ECU is in your bike 5AM or 59M? With the Guzzi Writer program, you cannot write to the 59M as yet.

The DP map will be very rich in your current configuration, but will improve when you do the mods listed.

What model/year?

I do not have experience with the 59M or 5AM, but I doubt adjusting trim will sort the overall fuelling with the DP ECU.
I have read this is mostly for around idle conditions, but does have some (lesser??) effect on the whole map.
For the moment, I suggest you stick with the stock ECU, until you do the airbox and cans.

AFR logging is the way to go to correct the map, but you must know what FR targets you want for each TP and RPM breakpoint.
With Jerry's Monster, we initially concentrated on the horizontal map as it was scary way off. Once we started getting closer to targets, we started logging and analysing the vertical AFR data to start modding the offset map.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Similar symptoms to my 2004 ST3. I got it to run so rich it used 20ltrs in 200km. It ran very poorly and strong fuel smell.

It the end, I learnt the TPS setting MUST be correct so that the ECU knows which spark and injector opening time to apply. Yes, if it's a bit out changing the trim will help at low RPM (<5000rpm), and I had mine in negative to get the bike to run ok.

Also, it took me a while to figure out how to read 150mv at the TPS. In the end, I made a cable to provide the same 3 pin connection as the plug and gave me access to the pins ( centre and one side I think) to accurately measure the base TPS (i.e. Butterfly closed) with a cheap multimeter. LT explains the importance of TPS setting, it's just that I thought I'd set it correctly then started all the other adjustments.

The DP ECU has a slightly different map, but if the TPS is out, the effect of trim adjustment may not be enough.

I use TuneECU to remap the ECU and SCANM5X for trim and general logging. Both run on a cheap Lenovo 7" android tablet via Bluetooth.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
I made a cable to provide the same 3 pin connection as the plug and gave me access to the pins ( centre and one side I think) to accurately measure the base TPS (i.e. Butterfly closed) with a cheap multimeter. LT explains the importance of TPS setting, it's just that I thought I'd set it correctly then started all the other adjustments.
Paul, would you post more info on this? Maybe a short write-up with parts used? Pictures would be great too.
Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
9 Posts
No worries. Will take some photos and details on my TPS cable once back home after festive season.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts