Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I just picked up a new (to me) 2011 1198SP today and it has a powerlet outlet on it. I am wondering if I can use that outlet with appropriate connector on a trickle charger to keep the battery topped off when not in use. Is this a viable method to charge the battery? In the past, I always wired up a pigtail to the top of the battery to use the charger, but using the powerlet outlet would be a lot easier. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thank you in advance,

Mike

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey All,

I just picked up a new (to me) 2011 1198SP today and it has a powerlet outlet on it. I am wondering if I can use that outlet with appropriate connector on a trickle charger to keep the battery topped off when not in use. Is this a viable method to charge the battery? In the past, I always wired up a pigtail to the top of the battery to use the charger, but using the powerlet outlet would be a lot easier. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thank you in advance,

Mike
I would just get the appropriate pigtail and wire it directly to the battery so you know that it is done correctly. The thing with your power outlet is you don’t know for sure that it is fused, or do you? Also, is the power outlet hooked to a switched circuit or is it “hot” all the time? A charger wouldn’t work if it hooked thru a switched circuit on the bike.

-John

·
Registered
355 Posts
Yeah don't know on that model but the power outlet on my ST4 is only 3 amp rating.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would just get the appropriate pigtail and wire it directly to the battery so you know that it is done correctly. The thing with your power outlet is you don’t know for sure that it is fused, or do you? Also, is the power outlet hooked to a switched circuit or is it “hot” all the time? A charger wouldn’t work if it hooked thru a switched circuit on the bike.

-John
That's good advice, thanks. I don't know if it is switched (easy to figure out though) or fused. I can't find the powerlet on the wiring diagram in the owner's manual. For sure it won't be a bad thing to just wire it to the battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts