Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 748 finally pissed me off to the point of no return, so I picked up a nice 08 1098 from a private party. My 748 wasnt perfect, but very nice and still a Ducati. So everytime I went to the local dealers, they turned up their noses at me and acted like I wasnt there. Now I pull into the same dealers and they come running to help. I haven't changed. Are these dealers that pretentious? It sickens me that just cause I have taste in bikes that I'm looked at different.

·
Registered
681 Posts
its not just you... I am a young guy (23) and a jeans and t-shirt kind of guy... most Ducati dealers wont even give me the time of day unless they see me roll up on my 1098. I used to ride a 748 as well and i know that dealers always though i was just some dumb kid...until they started talking to me about new bikes and realized that i know more about the bikes than most of them

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
It all has to do with the perception of you having money and whether or not you will spend it....The average 748 is only worth about $5000, whereas the 1098 is $15k+. Also, the average 748 owner has already done everything they want to do to their bikes, but the 1098 owners are still looking for little trick items to buy to bling their ride out.....just look at is as most dealerships figure if you have a 748, you simply aren't looking to spend any money.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know it's all about money. It's still annoying. I'm married and not looking to impress anyone anymore.

I can't post a classified ad for some reason, so if anyone is interested in a 1998 748 Bi yellow with some add-ons lmk. Not looking to get a ton, just a good deal for everyone. It has had all services done in the last month, now I just need to put a new chain on it, and its good to go

17k miles, full stainless exhaust with carbon cans, Rear dymag forged wheel, new Michelins (less than 800 miles), new clutch, bunch of carbon

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Smart dealers treat everyone well. The 16 year old kid eventually gets job and will likely buy from the dealer that treated him decently.

Just like the 748 owner may want a new bike some day. :)

(You can't post an ad as you need to be around for a month and have a total of 25 posts. See the "why can't I post" thread under classifieds.)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ya.. I've fortunately never had an experience like that at any Duc dealers but have at other establishments. I'm 21 and have been treated pretty well at the dealerships I have visited. I'm sure they get a lot of tire-kickers though and don't want to waste their time on some of them.

My father had a not-so-great experience with a local BMW dealer because he was wearing t-shirt and shorts.. nobody even approached him when he walked inside to speak with someone. He could have bought any car in the place several times over. Walked out and he will never go back.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
748 owners are losers (joking!!). Seriously I have no idea why you are treated differently. I find almost all dealers equally apalling in terms of customer service, sales approach and knowledge go the brands that they are supposed to be championing. They were like that when I was a poor student and they are like that now that I'm wealthy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If a "salesman" at a dealership is to dumb to say hello to everyone he makes eye contact with and does not ask everyone he sees in the dealership, "can I answer any questions for you?" he deserves to work at a gas station.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Maybe on the 1098 you presented yourself in a way that commanded more respect and didn realize it. Just a thought. Not the clothes that make the man....but attitude is a big part.

·
9,757 Posts
My 748 finally pissed me off to the point of no return, so I picked up a nice 08 1098 from a private party. My 748 wasnt perfect, but very nice and still a Ducati. So everytime I went to the local dealers, they turned up their noses at me and acted like I wasnt there. Now I pull into the same dealers and they come running to help. I haven't changed. Are these dealers that pretentious? It sickens me that just cause I have taste in bikes that I'm looked at different.
The dealership kisses my ass now that I have a 1098s. Back when I only had a 748s nobody paid any special attention to me as a customer.

Pretty freaking pathetic really, since labor and parts on a 748s will make them just as much money as on a 1098s. I never took my bike there (did all the work myself). The 1098s on the other hand has a warranty so I figure why not.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
37 Posts
My worst experience with a rude salesman was at a Ford dealership in Colorado many years ago when I was in the military. I walked into the dealership in sneakers, blue jeans and a white t-shirt. Left the helmet on the bike and strolled in and went straight to a Mustang convertible. The salesman had the audacity to tell me I couldn't afford it. I asked him why he felt I couldn't afford it, he replied that I was a private and a private in the Army couldn't afford a Mustang GT convertible. I started walking out then he followed me out telling me to buy a car I could afford. I got to my bike and was putting on my helmet when he replied how can a Soldier ride a Ducati. I smiled and told him I was a Captain. His reaction was priceless, started sucking up to me. I will never buy a Ford now because of that salesman.

·
Banned
344 Posts
Not naming names :D but I went to a Ducati dealership here in Austin with the full intent to put down a deposit on a 1098R last year and the little sales guy wouldn't even let me sit on the bike on the showroom floor. It wasn't a customer's bike. I drove up in my Dodge diesel work truck with jeans and work boots on and the little dweeb asked me if I was serious or just looking. I just gave him THE look, said nevermind and left. Then a few days later I drove up in my Mercedes and the dork felt like a dumbass. He tried to make small talk and I told him straight to his face that he really pissed me off the previous week with his pretentious bullshit and that I was there to just look at the bike one more time before I drove all the way out to San Antonio to put down a deposit on a 1098R. When I recently took my 998R in for belts the guy wasn't there so I guess the problem is fixed.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Haha dude you live in AZ just like me and what do you expect our dealers are well......lacking something do be desired.............Im not suprised you feal that way at all.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I went to buy a 1098r at Badtimes Ducati in Sacramento CA. and the sales manager was a jerk off. A friend of mine refered me to him as they were friends. The manager told him that he would beat any price I had. I brought a quote with me from another dealer. When I got there he looked at it and said he couln't beat it. Then he took my quote and made a copy of it with out my permission. I told him to give it back and he refused. I ended up getting it back. Waste of time. I almost knowked him the F out. So I left and bought else where.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I wanted so desperately to buy a bike from my local dealer because its always a good idea. The guys who previously sold me a motorcycle made me a pretty good out the door offer on an 848. The catch was, they were in Orange County and its too far away for me to ride for service, so they'd be selling the bike and probably never seeing me again... With that being said, I told this to my local dealer who just laughed at me and told me to pretty much add $1000 to what I was offered, or get lost! Mind you, this is a dealer I had spent thousands of dollars in service and parts at, yet they weren't able to give me a "decent" price on a new 848. I even talked to the manager, who said the same thing. The two of them even lied on the stock quantities of bikes, first telling me they had plenty and the day I went in to negotiate, they said they had none and it would take up to two weeks to get any in.

Mind you, Spectrum Motorsports in Orange county has the best sales team I've ever met. Not only is Shawn, (the sales manager) a great guy, but the owner is an ex-racer and is also very nice. I don't spend much time there because its so far away, but the few times I've visited, they've been willing to work great deals and have been ALWAYS very friendly people. Same deal with Ducati Santa Barbara, who also has a very understanding staff.

Anyway, if people looked down on you for riding a 748... you can tell them to go screw. Anybody who wants to sell you a new bike wouldn't down anything you rode... its just a dumb-ass thing to do!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
69 Posts
+1 When I was 16/17 the local honda dealer treated me like crap, its cool. bought my first bike from the dealer 30 feet away and then bought my first honda from a dealer 200 miles away then my 2nd Honda from a dealer 500 miles away. I won't even purchase my motor oil from them. I'll take a drive somewhere else for exact product :)

Local Duc Dealer was skeptical about me at first before purchase, but when I bought her and not from them, they changed there attitude and now welcome me in the store. But I'm too much a cheapskate to buy from them at about 15% above prices from other great dealers that I've met here.

Smart dealers treat everyone well. The 16 year old kid eventually gets job and will likely buy from the dealer that treated him decently.

Just like the 748 owner may want a new bike some day. :)

(You can't post an ad as you need to be around for a month and have a total of 25 posts. See the "why can't I post" thread under classifieds.)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Some dealers are just plain jerks. Or, at least, the people they hire to represent the dealership are jerks. It does no good to argue with them, just walk away. Some people will think they are the best dealer they have worked with, others will think they are the worst. A lot has to do with your expectations. If you want to look at a bike, are considering buying one, tell them that. Make eye contact with the salesperson, be sure of yourself, and state the exact position you are in; looking, buying, considering.

Bad salespeople make assumptions, good salespeople ask questions and make recommendations. Get a good salesperson, if possible.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It all has to do with the perception of you having money and whether or not you will spend it....The average 748 is only worth about $5000, whereas the 1098 is $15k+. Also, the average 748 owner has already done everything they want to do to their bikes, but the 1098 owners are still looking for little trick items to buy to bling their ride out.....just look at is as most dealerships figure if you have a 748, you simply aren't looking to spend any money.
+1, well said!!! How do you think I feel.... I used to ride up on my 97' zx7.... and now i role up on my heavily modified 1098 and am treated like a king! ***not that i'm complaining!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts