Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to look so I'll ask here on the forum.

I recently picked up a used set of Ohlins front forks (In Japan) and will be traveling back to the US in May. Since I am in Japan I figured I would pack them in one of my checked bags to save on shipping back to the US. Does anyone know if I will have trouble with the airline? or if this is allowed?

Best,

Jonathan

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
I traveled back and forth with valve and clutch springs in my carry bag. Also golf clubs checked in. They asked me about them and let me through. I wouldn’t imagine it would be a problem as long as they understand what they are. Maybe you should tag them. If you arrive early enough you might be able to help smooth things over ahead of time.

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
Are they gas charged?
if yes you better check with them, if not I would just be sure they are sealed well so no oil that leaks out can get anywhere. Yes they may not leak but the airline does not know so show them you are prepared if they do.

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
My, how times have changed.

When a friend of mine was leaving Germany in '76, he had a lot of firearms. We had been in Germany as part of the US Army. He had bought 4 or 5 pistols and 3 or 4 long guns at our US Rod and Gun club. They were very cheap there.

Since we lived in the barracks, they were kept in our Arms Room. He had mailed his stereo and a few other things home and I asked him how he would get his firearms home. He said they would let him walk his locked travel cases onto the plane, then the stewardess would tale them and lock them in a closet up front. He had taken a couple of long guns home to California already while on leave.

Now, I can't get on with fingernail clippers.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I recently flew with my D/air leathers packed. I got a document from Dianese that certified the gas cartridge system was safe for airlines and put that in the bag with the suite. When I arrived it was obvious that the bag been opened and inspected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
It might be best to drain them. At least that would be one possible objection taken care of.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
It might be best to drain them. At least that would be one possible objection taken care of.
That was my thought too. Airlines don't like ANYTHING even remotely flammable - and if you can state that the oil has been drained - that's one less thing for them to pick on. Plus it'll save a bit of weight.

·
Administrator
13,030 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I drained the oil to help and labeled the items just in case, but now I am not sure. Would like a definitive answer yes or no. NO gas, oil, fuel, etc.

·
19,081 Posts
Did you check with the airline?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Did you check with the airline?

I just got off the phone with an AA representative and she said that it should not be a problem as long as it didn't contain battery, fuel, oil, etc.

She also suggested to inform the check in counter that the items are fragile and to place a sticker on the bag.

Now since I am traveling from Japan to Chicago, I am just afraid of the language barrier... otherwise fingers crossed.

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Attach a picture of a motorcycle to them , a front view that shows usd forks. Draw an arrow to them. Attach a picture showing oil can with the barred circle so it’s obvious they’ve been drained.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Also, when you are dealing with them, always refer to it as fork fluid instead of fork oil.

Reactions: scott

·
19,081 Posts
Also be sure and pack them with a cell phone connected by a bundle of wires. When they see that on the x-ray they'll know it ok and won't even open the suit case. :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
"Security Theater"
Really? I completely object to this comment, it's just plain wrong.

I'll have you know that it's "Security Theatre".

/s

1 - 20 of 20 Posts