Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im moving from florida to south san francisco this thursday. I will be transporting my multi and triumph daytona 955i in an enclosed uhaul 6x12. My friend asked me tonight if I was going to drain my gas tanks and honestly I had never thought about it. I will be traveling thru texas, new mexico, arizona, nevada, death valley and thru yosemite. Should I drain my tanks with the extreme temps of the south west. This is my first time transporting motorcycles and I thought I thought of everything until this. :confused::confused::confused:

·
Smut peddler
817 Posts
I have transported mine all over the country, and never did such a thing, with zero problems. Maybe your friend was just telling you to remove every last trace of Florida to avoid any PTSD type symptoms of remembering that horrid, no turns or elevation changes , humid hotbox shithole filled with lake dinosaurs, place.:grin2:

Or maybe he thinks you ride a cb 350, and there's no fuel petcock.

But to be cereal, you should only be concerned that they are secured mucho bueno, preferably with wheel chocks. Safe travels, your bikes are going to love you for where you're moving. It's motorcycle nirvana.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
17,915 Posts
I always trailer my bike with empty tanks. But not because it’s hot. I do it simply because the lighter weight makes it easier to load and less mass up high making them more stable when tied gown. But then I also have two 5 gallon fuel bottles full that I also carry in the trailer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I don’t empty mine. I’ve hauled bikes all over the country for years and never have emptied tanks. What a hassle. If I have a breakdown they are ready to go. It’s safer than hauling fuel separately.

·
Señor Member
8,029 Posts
I’ve traveled to NC and back from California with two bikes in the back of my truck, both with full fuel tanks. The only fuel they’ve spit out is what came out the filler drain. Don’t top them off and they’ll be fine.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I’ve traveled to NC and back from California with two bikes in the back of my truck, both with full fuel tanks. The only fuel they’ve spit out is what came out the filler drain. Don’t top them off and they’ll be fine.
As long as you do not crash and burn.
So, drive safe. :wink2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have transported mine all over the country, and never did such a thing, with zero problems. Maybe your friend was just telling you to remove every last trace of Florida to avoid any PTSD type symptoms of remembering that horrid, no turns or elevation changes , humid hotbox shithole filled with lake dinosaurs, place.:grin2:

Or maybe he thinks you ride a cb 350, and there's no fuel petcock.

But to be cereal, you should only be concerned that they are secured mucho bueno, preferably with wheel chocks. Safe travels, your bikes are going to love you for where you're moving. It's motorcycle nirvana.
I really have no clue how I have lived here for 38 years, this summer working outside was the last straw. I absolutely cannot wait to get out there, but the crossing is going to be at relaxed pace stopping here and there with not much of a rush. I have 2 front wheel chocks for the bikes nice american made ratchet straps rated for well over the bikes weight. Half inch hardware and eyebolts. Im hoping that is plenty. Pulling with a yukon xl should also be fine for Tioga pass im hoping. Appreciate everyone easing my mind. My bikes are truly my only source of stress going into this week.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I’ve always used extra straps on mine, just for piece of mind. I also pack stuff like clothes etc . In garbage bags and put them around the bikes too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I’ve always used extra straps on mine, just for piece of mind. I also pack stuff like clothes etc . In garbage bags and put them around the bikes too.
You read my mind, I stuffed all of my clothes in trash bags and planned on putting them in between, I have 4 ratchets for each bike which should be rock solid. I will check the straps at each fueling as well.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just don't ratchet the heck out of them, only enough to keep them in place.

And do a courtesy check shortly after leaving, don't wait until the first fuel stop.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I predict you will be looking in the mirror a lot for the first hour or 3.
Then you will convince yourself they are not going anywhere without the trailer.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also trailer-ed all across north american never drained a tank, I am usually more concerned with damaging the bikes before gas tanks expanding and exploding. If this could happen would these hot areas not have more issues with stationary vehicles and bikes? Is this any different than leaving your bike parked in a garage for a few days?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just to follow up everything went really well and had a great time with the cross country trip. Bolted down 2 MaxxHaul 70075 Motorcycle Wheel Chocks, spent a little extra getting good american made powertye ratchet straps 2 front and 2 rear on each bike. Ancra soft ties around the front forks and used the passenger pegs on the rear. Bikes did not loosen a bit. The roads in louisiana were god awful and really had me worried. I did get a little damage on my tail bags but thats completely my fault for not packing them better as you will see in the pic. Having a blast in san francisco have put 2200 miles on the bike in a month, its just amazing to look at google maps and say wow that road looks fun and go there and yep its fun, havent rode the same route twice yet. Just did a group ride around yosemite with the bay area desmo club and met some really great people. Thanks for everyone's help!! Really looking forward to next years west coast meet.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts