Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 ST3
Turn the corner on to my street coming home from work and the transmission refuses to shift gears. It is stuck in second I believe and the shifter will not move.
Anyone ever have this happen?

·
7,733 Posts
2006 ST3
Turn the corner on to my street coming home from work and the transmission refuses to shift gears. It is stuck in second I believe and the shifter will not move.

This has happened to at least two ST3's and even other models that share the same bottom end like the Hypermotard. Apparently there's something about the shift mechanism not being set right and the fix seems to be to "center" it, ie shift pawl/cam etc. for lack of a better description. Call you dealer and ask if there's a TSB re the "stuck" shift linkage. If not, the "fix" does not seem too complicated/costly.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Try a creative search of Ducati.MS. This has happened before to others including the 02-ST4s of a member.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Here you go. It was in third for me
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=21214

And the eventual diagnosis...
"The diagnosis was a mushroomed shift cam. The previous adjustment might or might not have made it worse but it looked like a cheap metal tap. So... 2 weeks to get parts and install. Starting to threaten my planned trip to NC. Took a 150 mile ride on my buddies CBR XX yesterday and really missed having my own bike back. The CBX is without charging system. Sort of feeling like Joe Btfsplk."

·
Registered
155 Posts
shifter stuck round 2

2006 ST3
arr;690858] This is the second time for me, the first was on my 08 s4rs with 10k on it .Thankfully it was only 1 hour from home!Fix under warranty , miss aligned shift mec.I wasn't so lucky this time 5hrs from home on my 07 st3s,with 18k on it.Same bullshit different bike,needless to say I'am not very happy!I've ridden well 750,000 miles my honda ,yamaha,& suzuki all have over 100k on them and I'am still riding them with no problems !!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 98 ST2 that has the same problem, only it's not the shift mech. instead it's a seized shift drum, from the transmission side. shop wants more than 1000 to crack the cases.

look for a parting out thread for a 98 st2 coming soon! =(

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Try a creative search of Ducati.MS. This has happened before to others including the 02-ST4s of a member.
That would be me. I found out it was a misaligned shift drum. Where this occurred was the problem. We were hell and gone out in the wilderness at the Madness gathering in Joesph OR.

I also had a 'stuck in second gear' problem on a previous ST-4 I owned. In this instance the cases had to be split as the problem was a bent shift fork.

Ciao!
Bill

1 - 7 of 7 Posts