Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a new issue pop up on my 848 towards the end of the summer where when switching between 3rd-4th, or 4th-5th gear, on very rare occasion, the bike would go into a false neutral. I could fix this by selecting the gear again, it would click in pretty hard but everything would be fine after that. This probably happened 5 times over 2000 miles or hard riding. I don't feel any slipage or any other red flags. The only thing that has changed is that I installed an Oberon Slave, and CRG levers, so I wonder if that combination is not compressing the fluid enough.

Does anyone know that this problem would indicate? Thanks!

·
Registered
893 Posts
One thing to consider is that a larger-than-stock diameter aftermarket slave cylinder (like the Oberon) will require a deeper lever pull to fully disengage the clutch. If you make a conscious effort to increase your lever pull distance during an upshift, I'm confident that your fale neutral problem will disappear.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
The SF transmission is known to sometimes have false neutrals if you don't shift it with authority and get the timing right. "Pulling up on the shift lever" Mostly 4th 5th and 6th. You shouldn't have to yank on the shifter but a good positive shift is always best. The Oberon most likely has nothing to do with your false neutrals. From a mechanical standpoint you don't need the clutch if you time everything well during an upshift. I don't use the clutchless method but some people do especially old school racers before electronics where commonly used or where available.
As already mentioned if your new clutch lever isn't adjusted well get that sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
469 Posts
Very rare occasion: Operator error
Frequently: Mechanical

• Give the clutch circuit a good proper bleed. Master, then slave, then master again.

• As mentioned, ensure you have full throw at the lever, especially with an aftermarket slave.

• Check your shift linkage. 90° connection points at the shift arm and the rearset pedal work best (the helm joint connection points).

• Ducati Performance Quick Shifter works great and is a lot of fun on the SF848. Think about installing one.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
new boots? feel like the shifter needs to be moved down? i generally find this sort of issue is rider induced somehow. play with how it's set up.

you should be able to upshift without pulling the clutch in - backing off is enough. so i doubt it'd be a clutch issue, but certainly worth checking. ruling out the easy to rule out is the first step.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts