Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a track 916 that i want to trailer. I dont want to buy a truck or an SUV for this. I have a 2.4L Honda Accord and was wondering, if i can trailer my bike in it. The Owners manual says 1000LB trailering capacity. Does anyone trailer with their car..if so any trailer suggestions.

Thanks,
The Ducktor

·
Registered
406 Posts
Not so bad with a stick. Automatic may be trouble on the transmission...
Get the lightest method you can. And if you have an auto, consider a trans cooler.

You may have trouble finding a hitch set-up.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I didn't want to get an SUV either. And I'm glad I didn't with today's gas prices. I paid for U-Haul to add a hitch to my car. There are a few hitch sites that will tell you if a hitch is available for your car and how hard it is to install. Go look for Drawtite hitches. Apparently alot of the hitch makers are now owned by the same company.

I own a 1997 Eagle Talon (Eclipse look alike) and have been to 6 track days (4 trips) so far. Two of those trips have been 4 1/2 hours long and the others an hour and a half. My car is slow already so I can't tell much difference. :) I use it to tow my track 916 and the owners manual doesn't specify any towing capacity at all. Took awhile to find a drawbar with enough rise though since my car is so low to the ground.

I use the trailer from Harbor Freight I got for like $220 or so. It's a foldable utility trailer with 12 inch wheels. Don't get the 8 inch wheel version. I only had to assemble the trailer (if I can do it anyone can) and then mount a 3/4 inch plywood sheet on it. Then I bought a Condor wheel chock and a few tie down points. My only complaint if I have to use ramps to load the bike and need help doing it. If I get the guts to ride it up or power walk it up that may change. Normal trailers have the loading ramp built into them that folds up. Only reason I got the foldable version is so in the winter time, when I won't be going to the track, I can fold it up in my garage and be able to use the garage to park my car. If I had a two car garage I may have gotten a trailer that has the folding loading ramp.

And by the way there's someone who uses the same trailer and uses a Dodge Neon to tow her bike. She has been to alot more track days than I have and I haven't heard of any problems.

So in summary I would think you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
My wife's 2004 VW Jetta 1.6T has a hitch and we have hauled her '94 GSX-750R with it. The trailer we use is a 5'x10' steel utility trailer with mesh for a floor, drop-ramp tail, and 15" wheels. You can hardly tell the bike and trailer are back there. Eventually, we have plans of hauling two bikes with this set-up (GSXR and either my 748 or the ST2).

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'm just doing the same. Im ordered a hitch for my Volvo wagon from Hidden Hitch. I'm going with the baxley chock on the same Harbor Freight trailer as grendel. Need to be able to load by myself. Also will buy a wide ramp. I found pushing the bike up a rail by myself a little precarious.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
You're well within limits even with a fairly sturdy trailer. How many miles will you trailer per year, under what conditions and how long will you keep the car? Problems may not show up until long after it's gone. If you're towing through the Eisenhower every weekend, I'd get a vehicle that's meant for towing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be trailering it once a month for around 200 miles. I live in denver and the only decent track is in pueblo. I am also planning of installing a transmission cooler.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
You should be fine. Keep an eye on the trans fluid and change it if it's got some miles on it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Buy an Italian car as well, they're like Italian bikes plenty strong and can race BMW's whilst towing :crazy:

Attachments

·
Registered
401 Posts
This company makes some great motorcycle trailers.
(and trailers for hauling behind a motorcycle)
http://motorcycletrailer.com/mag1/
They have various options and ship UPS and are easy to put together.
They will easily tow behind any car that a hitch can be "legally" hooked to.

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
You should have no problems towing a bike behind your Honda..

Tow-hitches are availble from several companies. In Sweden, the Honda is availble with a factory installed tow-hitch, so if you need specifics and can´t get them in the US, let me know. I´ll check with Honda Sweden on a tow weight. Realistically, you should have no problems with 2 bikes on a "normal" trailer.

I´ve seen 2 bikes on a trailer behind a -02 Toyota Corolla 1.4i, so your engine isn´t a problem.

The auto transmission shouldn´t be a problem either, but if you start feeling like the tranny is slipping, an extra transmission oilcooler is an option.

//amullo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts