Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Trailer advice....

9K views 45 replies 18 participants last post by  grendels_arm 
#1 ·
OK need more advice again on a trailer purchase. I have the opportunity to buy a Kendon foldable single bike trailer for $1200. Which is expensive but they are apparently good trailers. Or I could buy for $220 from HArbor Freight a foldable trailer. I would need to put plywood or something on the floor of it and then some easy way for me to load the bike. Either one of those Condor things that you roll your bike into or the thing that Motowheels sells that mounts the bike via the rear wheel and requires no tie downs. Condor is like $160 for the trailer only one and teh strapless thing is $275 or so. So if I get those that's $400-$500 total. I hear the Kendons are great but it's tough to swallow that much for a trailer. Advice.

Need a foldable trailer. Need something to fit in garage against a wall.

Option 1: Kendon

http://www.kendonusa.com/single_trailer.htm

Option 2:

HArbor Freight trailer

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90154

Condor thing. (either this or strapless below)

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/mySearchResult.cfm?parentcategoryid=&productID=3570&showDetail=1&categoryID=627|Trailer%20Accessories&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=trailer&collection=

Strapless transport

http://www.motowheels.com/italian/mySearchResult.cfm?parentcategoryid=&productID=4083&showDetail=1&categoryID=627|Trailer%20Accessories&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=trailer&collection=

See less See more
#2 ·
Grendal-
I would go with the Harbour Freight trailer. Throw some 3/4" plywood with some sealer then maybe some garage floor paint with some sand in it. You will have a good solid trailer and weatherproof...about the front wheel stand. I can weld you one up for maybe 50 bucks (granted I haven't check metal, measurements, etc) powdercoat it and then just bolt that down with some other eye's for tie downs and your bike will be solid.

BTW the kendor is for a solo bike

You could build the Harbor to carry 2-3 bikes

#3 ·
I bought a used Kendon a year or so ago. It's an excellent trailer. It's light and easy to move around - but very solid when unfolded. I like the fact that it takes up very little garage space. With a little planning it can be used as a utility trailer to carry lumber and other "stuff". Most important to me - it rides on larger wheels/tires than some of your other utility/motorcycle trailers. Is it worth that much more than the other trailer? I don't know. "You pays your money and takes your choice."

#4 · (Edited)
How do I roll the bike up in the trailer? Just wondered that. Do I need to carry around a ramp?

The Kendon does seem mroe heavy duty. It should be for that much money (the single trailer version sells for $2K new). I only need a single bike trailer. The Harbor Freight has 12" wheels so that's close I believe to the Kendon's I think 13". Also the Harbor Freight weighs 287 pounds compared to the Harbor Freight. Not sure how much the flooring and mounting system will add to that but it should be close to the Kendon.

Synergy,

Would the mount you'd make be a system like the Condor where you role it right in and it keeps the bike upright by itself?

#5 ·
You've hit on the two main items, trailer weight capacity and tire diameter. How much weight do you want to carry (more than the bike) and how far do you want to go? The smaller tires will spin faster at highway speeds and add more heat to the bearings with heavier loads. There isn't much that sucks more than fixing a sheared trailer axil in the middle of no where. Larger diameter tires will help, but that raises the trailer height as well. Some boat trailers have the extra grease capacity, spring loaded bearing caps. Just my 2¢.

#6 ·
I bought a foldable harbor freight model with 15 inch wheels (I think) and have had really good luck with it. Trailered my 900ss back to dallas at 80 mph from lubbock without a problem, and when I dont want to use it, it folds right up. The only thing that I have changed was I got a couple of clevis (is that right) pins to put in instead of the bolts to unfold the bottom half of the trailer. or to fold it up when its up. You could spend more, but there is really no need to. I just threw down a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood and then bought two big shop rugs which I stapled down after waterproofing the wood. It gives you really really firm footing when you are loading the bike, doesnt move around, and didnt cost to much. And they are made to get wet as they are rubber backed. As for loading, its probably ghetto but I just bought a 2x12 and made a little ramp that I throw in the back of the tahoe whenever I need to. I think I could fit two or MAYBE three bikes on there if I tried, but never have. Also I made my own wheel chock out of 2x6 scrap I had, I just built a channel and then screwed it all together with a bunch of screws and then screwed it down. Probably not as nifty as a proper stand but I think I have less than 400 bucks in the trailer total.

Ryan

#8 ·
Uhaul said those trailers are very tough to get ahold of by the way. High demand for them.

Shibby,

But with your chok you made a one made loading process isn't easy. At least for a short guy like me maybe. The Condor one is nice because it holds the bike while you tie it down.

#9 ·
grendels_arm said:
How do I roll the bike up in the trailer? Just wondered that. Do I need to carry around a ramp?

The Kendon does seem mroe heavy duty. It should be for that much money (the single trailer version sells for $2K new). I only need a single bike trailer. The Harbor Freight has 12" wheels so that's close I believe to the Kendon's I think 13". Also the Harbor Freight weighs 287 pounds compared to the Harbor Freight. Not sure how much the flooring and mounting system will add to that but it should be close to the Kendon.

Synergy,

Would the mount you'd make be a system like the Condor where you role it right in and it keeps the bike upright by itself?
The Kendon comes with a ramp for loading. The wheels are 13" (not sure about tire size). Kendon also makes a trailer that will haul two motorcycles but is - at the same time - balanced to haul just one if that's all you want to haul. I have a one-bike trailer. One other thing that I like about the Kendon is the suspension system.

#10 ·
Shibbydevil said:
I bought a foldable harbor freight model with 15 inch wheels (I think) and have had really good luck with it. Trailered my 900ss back to dallas at 80 mph from lubbock without a problem, and when I dont want to use it, it folds right up. The only thing that I have changed was I got a couple of clevis (is that right) pins to put in instead of the bolts to unfold the bottom half of the trailer. or to fold it up when its up. You could spend more, but there is really no need to. I just threw down a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood and then bought two big shop rugs which I stapled down after waterproofing the wood. It gives you really really firm footing when you are loading the bike, doesnt move around, and didnt cost to much. And they are made to get wet as they are rubber backed. As for loading, its probably ghetto but I just bought a 2x12 and made a little ramp that I throw in the back of the tahoe whenever I need to. I think I could fit two or MAYBE three bikes on there if I tried, but never have. Also I made my own wheel chock out of 2x6 scrap I had, I just built a channel and then screwed it all together with a bunch of screws and then screwed it down. Probably not as nifty as a proper stand but I think I have less than 400 bucks in the trailer total.

Ryan
If that's the trailer - those aren't 15" wheels. (nice set-up though)

#13 · (Edited)
I can see the Kendon would be nicer to have, but is it worth 10 times the price? Why doesn't somebody just sell a small flatbed foldable trailer with tiedown attachment points for under $500? I'd like to also be able to use it to haul bags of topsoil back from the gardening store.

#14 ·
It looks like the foldup size of both trailers would be the same.

I wouldn't spend $2K on a Kendon. However there is one available used for $1200.

Now if you figure $220 for the Harbor Freight model, plus plywood, a ramp (something that doesn't take up space in my small car on track days, a device for allowing you to roll the bike up and lock the front wheel while you tie it down, etc it can add up. Not to $1200 but might be in the $500 range.

The ideal situation is to find a Harbor Freight one fully set up locally. Saves me the effort of settin it up.

#15 ·
Bodhi said:
I can see the Kendon would be nicer to have, but is it worth 10 times the price?
It is to me.

You are not comparing apples to apples here.

The Kendon has a front wheel holder, solid tie down points, a secure ramp, casters to move it, a locking storage box, aluminum diamond plate floor. It is a good design and is well made. It will outlast several bikes. It is much more secure than a cheap utility trailer.

I don't know if I would want to haul two $20,000 bikes on a $300 trailer. I'd worry about it too much.

That Kendon is very easy to load/unload, tow and put away. I use this trailer more than our enclosed TPD because it is so easy to use.

Replacement parts are easy to get. We are actually thinking of becoming a dealer for them because the product and support is very good.

#16 ·
moto said:
It is to me.

The Kendon has a front wheel holder, solid tie down points, a secure ramp, casters to move it, a locking storage box, aluminum diamond plate floor. It is a good design and is well made. It will outlast several bikes. It is much more secure than a cheap utility trailer.

I don't know if I would want to haul two $20,000 bikes on a $300 trailer. I'd worry about it too much.

That Kendon is very easy to load/unload, tow and put away. I use this trailer more than our enclosed TPD because it is so easy to use.

Replacement parts are easy to get. We are actually thinking of becoming a dealer for them because the product and support is very good.
What moto said! :yeah:

#17 · (Edited)
The Kendon seems like it would take more garage space than the Harbor Freight. That is the most important thing for my situation....space I need to store in my garage. Already have 2 bikes and car in my garage so every bit helps. yes I know a solution it to buy a bigger place or buy a truck but those are not options right now.

Seems like the Harbor Freight will do the job. The Kendon is just easier because the features like the chok and tie down points are already included.

#18 ·
moto said:
It is to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Kendon in the photo in post#1 looks like it only hauls one bike - not two? Also, with limited garage space I need to be able to use whatever trailer I get to haul more than just a bike once in a while. I need to be able to haul bags of topsoil, garden tractor, mountain bikes, bricks/lumber, etc. I don't have space for both a motorcycle-only trailer and a small flatbed. Can the Kendon do it all?

#19 ·
My 2 cents. The Harbor Freight trailer hauled two four wheel drive four wheelers from Phoenix Az to Hardinburg Ky when my uncle moved from there. It performed great, we modified it to accommodate the longer bikes but held up nicely.
T2

#21 ·
grendels_arm said:
The Kendon seems like it would take more garage space than the Harbor Freight. That is the most important thing for my situation....space
Have you looked at Trailer in a Bag? It's about $1100 and assembles/disassembles with no tools and can fit in a car trunk. They can be converted to a 2 bike version too.

I was really suspect of it until several riders used them for weekend racing and trackdays. It's been great for the past 1.5 years. No ramp or loading issues, secure tiedown points, and fairly light.

See
www.trailerinabag.com

#24 ·
grendels_arm said:
...Condor is like $160 for the trailer only one and teh strapless thing is $275 or so.
So which is it, I can't decide myself? I'm looking at the regular Condor so I can also use it in the garage.

My concern with the strapless is getting the bike in position. Do you need to bring the bike around the stand to get by the uprights, I've got an Aprlia RSV with dual mufflers? That would be tuff in a trailer.

Back to trailers, my advice is big tires or good maintainance on the little ones (12-13")

#25 ·
We use the Strapless stand in our enclosed trailer. It is even easier to use than the Condor stands (which is installed in the trailer as well for bikes that do not have a hollow rear axle).

The Strapless Stand is removable. You roll your bike into the trailer, put it on a kickstand and then clip the stand in behind the bike. Install the rod in the hollow axle. Push the bike back onto the stand until the rod contacts the stand. This will hold the bike until you can get behind it and pull the bike onto the stand by holding the tire. Once it is on the stand, you lock it into place with two little blocks.

You should get a spotter until you get used to it. But once you do, it takes about the same amount of time as it takes to put a rear stand on a bike.

Taking it off the stand is even easier. Just take the locks off and roll the bike off the stand.

#26 ·
I have a Versa Haul and carries my 748 fine. I have logged over 1500 miles up and down the state carring my bike on the back of my Tahoe. There is a little sway while driving down the road, but the bike is always solid with 4 point tie downs. I am 100% happy with it. Just hard to load my bike since my Tahoe is lifted 6" with 36" tires.

grendal - I could weld up a frame for the front tire that would support it till you can get the tie downs on the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.