Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on setting up an enclosed trailer for a motorcycle ? I think I am going to go for a 6x12 v nose. I was wondering if you guys have pictures of your interior to give me some ideas.

Also is there a quick release type system for a wheel chuck, so I can take it out when not I use ?
Was thinking using etrack as well.

I was planning to go half way across country and haul the bike.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
940 Posts
I use E-track mounting track with an E-track mounting plate for a Condor chock. I also have E-track running across the back of the trailer. There are clip in rings available for the track, which make it easy to place tie down points wherever you need them. E-track is the way to go.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Have you consider the hitch carriers? I think the bike is light enough for 500 pond carrier and within the tongue load. I haven't found a good reason to get one but if needed to transport my bike I would get one.

Sent from my iPad using Motorcycle

·
Registered
635 Posts
I use E-track mounting track with an E-track mounting plate for a Condor chock. I also have E-track running across the back of the trailer. There are clip in rings available for the track, which make it easy to place tie down points wherever you need them. E-track is the way to go.
This is my setup as well, except for the brand of the wheel chock.

Versatile, secure, and inexpensive.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks in advance guys. I appreciate the input. This trailer will also serve to transport the bikes to the track as well, thus going enclosed along with trips to the hardware store, costco, etc. More like a man cave bike hauler, until I need it for other chores.

Would you guys be kind enough to post pics of the etrack and how you laid it out ?

I saw some people routed the track into the floor, while others screwed it down on top of the floor.

Any recommendations other than amazon ? I also saw there were knock off versions. Any brands or sources I should stay away from ?

·
Registered
635 Posts
thanks in advance guys. I appreciate the input. This trailer will also serve to transport the bikes to the track as well, thus going enclosed along with trips to the hardware store, costco, etc. More like a man cave bike hauler, until I need it for other chores.

Would you guys be kind enough to post pics of the etrack and how you laid it out ?

I saw some people routed the track into the floor, while others screwed it down on top of the floor.

Any recommendations other than amazon ? I also saw there were knock off versions. Any brands or sources I should stay away from ?
I've got one run recessed flush into the center of the floor, and two runs surface-mounted on each wall @ 12" and 48" off the floor.

I strap perpendicular to the bike down low in front and back, then diagonally from each corner up high to the upper run (8 straps total)........unless the trailer is crushed or I drive into the lake the bikes will be untouched (which reminds me, make compartments/cabinets or otherwise secure the containers that hold your gear/tools/supplies/etc so if the unthinkable happens you're not bouncing Pitbulls off the tank!:mad::mad:)

I don't remember where I got my track or rings, maybe Northern Tool or Grainger?

·
Registered
940 Posts
Trailer is full of wood right now, so no pics.

I bolted the track through the floor of the trailer. The track is laid out for a row of 3 chocks across the front of my trailer which has a perforated square tube about a foot in front of the track to tie down to. I also put track down so bikes could be staggered, so if I needed to carry wide bikes I could stagger them.

What I learned after the fact was that I should have put track forward of the rear tie down points on the bikes so when I cinched rear tie downs it would pull bikes into the chock.

The Pitbull trailer restraint is the cat's meow, but requires more bike specific hardware to work. Since I use my trailer for trips with friends and have multiple bikes this wasn't the solution for me, but if I was always going to trailer the same bike, I would probably have gotten the Pitbull set up.

I bought almost all my E-track, E-track rings, and chocks from Mackie Enterprises wheel chock, chock, Bike Pro, BikePro, Condor, ramp, aluminum ramp, tie down, tiedown, ebay store, wheelchair ramp, wheelchair access, handicap access, handicap ramp, motorcycle transport, motorcycle loading, d-ring either off Ebay or off their website. Excellent selection and prices.

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I like to use a check strap run through the rear wheel and hooked to a ring behind the bike. Doesn't need to be real tight, but it's insurance when the other straps only pull forward.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I pulled the trigger on an Aluma 6x10 aluminum enclosed v nose trailer. Compared to the other trailers I looked at, it was built way better and lighter, even has Al floors. Interior finished in white and ramp even Al. Cost me a lot more, but I'm hoping to use it a long time, so figured buy once cry once right.

Thanks again for all the advice. I need to finish wiring the SUV for the 7 pin connector since I only have a 4.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Get the pitbull trailer restraint system, all that stays in place when not in use is a flat plate, then no worries about wheel chocks, tie down points etc. Best thing I've encountered to transport a bike.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Get the pitbull trailer restraint system, all that stays in place when not in use is a flat plate, then no worries about wheel chocks, tie down points etc. Best thing I've encountered to transport a bike.
This is the best money that you will ever spend on your bike if you even trailer it only once in a while. Makes loading/unloading a snap and you don't have to worry about jacking up your forks if you ratchet it down too tight. The bike rides on it's suspension just a if you were riding it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Inside of my trailer. I use a adjustable locking wheel chock and tie downs. Worked perfectly for all my bikes.

-Eddie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts