Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 916 that I love. It has no issues aside from the fact that I'm getting older and it's getting less and less comfortable to ride. The bike is one of the first ones to come into the country, put together at the Varese plant and it still has the original gold rivets holding the windscreen and fairings together. With only 4200 miles on it, it sits more than it should. A dealer local to me has a 1993 Superlight, also in mint original condition that I am considering trading for. The bike had 6100 miles on it, stock aside from some carbon upgrades--no flatslides or high comp piston kit.......I'm fairly certain that the more comfortable riding posion on the SL will allow me to put quite a few more miles on the bike. The dealership is asking close to 9K for the Superlight and I just sent an email inquiring about the trade. What numbers would you guys consider fair to make this work? or would you even consider it at all? Thanks in advance........

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
I'd consider keeping the 916 as the piece of art that it is and for actual riding picking up a '95-'98 900ss/sp. The SL is a really nice bike (but not 100% stock; I see a Corbin saddle, carbon fiber pipes and non-original rearsets) but some would say it is worth more as a collectible than as a rider.

You can find a really nice 900ss/sp with good upgrades (FCRs, DynaCoils, pipes, etc.) in the $5k range, maybe less depending on geography. 900ss/cr models are even lower; I've recently seen a couple of really nice examples in the $3k range.

Both your 916 and the SL have great collectibility, is that your main reason for owning (which, to me, is a perfectly valid reason to own a motorcycle) or is it to have something you'll feel o.k. about piling some miles on?

This is an interesting connundrum.

·
comrade moderator
26,771 Posts
Do you have another bike you actually ride? These are just collector/garage queen bikes, right? Personally I'd rather stare at that Superlight, but it's all what make you grin. Don't worry about the value, now or in the future cause it sucks on both bikes. Straight trade, I'd do it. Money from your end? Nope.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
keep the 916. to begin with, it is an unequal trade......

·
Senior Italophile
865 Posts
Keep the 916, and make room for the Superlight. They will like being stable mates.

·
Registered
537 Posts
hallo,

keep the 916 for a sunday ride now and then and buy a SS to put some miles on it if you sell the 916 you will regret it.
i did it that's why i bought '94 916 again last month.
off course you can also buy one back latter but to find one with that low miles on it will be getting harder.

henk!!!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used to have a older Kawi that I rode often. Bought my 916 then started a 5 year house remodeling project that sucked all of the energy out of me and probably took about 10 years off of my life. I sold the Kawi in the middle of all of this--can't really afford 2 bikes right now. Now that I have some more time I've started riding the 916 more--I'm fine for about 40 minutes, but any more than that and it's not fun. Maybe I just need to give it more time......Value/collectability isn't a factor--I know I'm not going to make any money on either while I own them--I just want the bike to look good and I want to enjoy riding it. I'll see what kind of numbers they work up, but I think you guys are right, if it's a significant difference, I'll stick with the 916.......Thanks........

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Forty minutes is not bad if you have not been riding much and are over 30. You can't ride like a coach potato on these bikes. :)

Have you tried softening the suspension? The nice tight suspension is a bit much on our midwestern roads.

(My vote would be to keep the 916.)

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
do as you wish, but i would not purchase a SL to put "miles on it" unless you didn't care so much about its value, tomorrow.

last SL i looked at (stock except for rear sets and some very fine cracks in the lower part of one of the side fairings) could have been had for $8k-$8.5k. it had less than 2k miles on it if my memory serves me.

i too would not rid myself of your 916 but somehow try to purchase the 900ss sl along with.

nice motorcycle you have there.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I think $9,000 is a lot for the Superlight. I'd trade even up, no cash exchange. Actually your 916 is one that collectors would love.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's a tough one 916WI...:think:

In the past, I have owned a '92 900SL and a '97 916BP, and owned each for over two years, but not at the same time. They are both great bikes. The SL is probably more comfortable and has full floating brakes, but the 916 has a better chasis set up and more punch. In my case, I have always regretted selling the SL, but know I can pick up another 916 if I want to (more like: when I can afford to!). Looking at the pics provided, I would find it very hard to part with such a beautiful, low milage, 916 as that and would definitely not put any money with it on a trade.

My suggestion: keep the 916, look in to getting handlebar risers to take the pressure off your wrists, and adjustable rear sets to take the pressure off your knees, as that will make a big difference to your posture. As others have said, also consider dialling in your suspension to make the bike more comfortable to ride, and of course, if keeping both is an option, then go for it! All the best. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the advice guys. I talked with the dealer and emailed them some pics of my bike. A part of me hopes they come back with a sizable cost spread, that way the decision will be a no brainer. Regardless, the more I think about it, I should try to work with my bike a little to see if I can meet it 1/2 way--maybe some risers are the way to go. I'll keep you guys posted as to what they say--Thanks to all of you again!

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
I just saw the SL last week when I was up there. I'm going up again next weekend for the Concours show. If you decide later on that you really want that SL, my friend might be interested in your 916. He bought the first one that was available in WI back in '95 he says. He deeply regrets selling it and would love to have that bike back.

·
Registered
651 Posts
If its worth having one indulgence, its worth having seven.
Keep the 916 and buy the SL900.
Scream the tits off both of them.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I'd consider keeping the 916 as the piece of art that it is and for actual riding picking up a '95-'98 900ss/sp. The SL is a really nice bike (but not 100% stock; I see a Corbin saddle, carbon fiber pipes and non-original rearsets) but some would say it is worth more as a collectible than as a rider.

You can find a really nice 900ss/sp with good upgrades (FCRs, DynaCoils, pipes, etc.) in the $5k range, maybe less depending on geography. 900ss/cr models are even lower; I've recently seen a couple of really nice examples in the $3k range.

Both your 916 and the SL have great collectibility, is that your main reason for owning (which, to me, is a perfectly valid reason to own a motorcycle) or is it to have something you'll feel o.k. about piling some miles on?

This is an interesting connundrum.
+1. If you follow ebay sales you have probably seen that original 916's are starting to firm up (at least) in price. If you do get the SL be sure you check the rim/spoke bolts. The nuts can and sometimes do work loose, leading to elongation in the bolt holes.

Better yet get a used set of wheels someplace to keep the originals, well, original, as by themselves they are worth quite alot. The footpeg brackets are easy to replace with stock ones if you are so inclined, stock pipes would be harder, so would a seat.

I'm lucky enough to own a relatively rare variant of the 916 and an SS, and wouldn't part with either one.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I went from a Superlight to my 95 916 which I still have. It has been the bike I used for sport and touring and in spite of repadding the seat and risers it is now too uncomfortable for long rides. The longest being 850K in a day. I bought a 999s last year and the difference is significant because of the suspension. I would look at the later models to replace the 916.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
If you're looking for collector value the superlight is very rare and there were few made. It's the one I'd grab and hang on to. For riding, later model bikes are the way to go, a 999 or later model SS. Best of both worlds is get the superlight to go along side your 916 then later get a newer bike as your daily. I personally want a superlight because it's the model that made me fall in love with Ducatis.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
I'm not sure I'd swap the 916 for an SL. A nice compromise might be to find a good 900 Final Edition and keep the 916. The FE is basically the same bike as the SL, just the final evolution with a lot of minor improvements, and still limited production. It's going to be a decade or more before SL's or FE's truly start getting valuable IMO, so at this point it's more a function of knowing that you owns something rare that gets attention from enthusiasts who know the bikes, which is fun. I always enjoy it when I'm on a Ducati club ride on the FE and someone who's never seen one wants to talk about the bike.

You should be able to find a very nice FE for $5-6k, and a museum-quality bike for a little more. $4-5k will buy you a late SS/SP if collector value doesn't matter to you.

I've had a 916, and heli-bars and different pegs will help a little, but it's still a much more cramped position than a carbed SS. The 916 is also much hotter to ride if you're in a warm climate.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts