Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone interested in trading me their GT top clamp (with the bar clamp holes) for a smooth SC top clamp?

·
Registered
966 Posts
There was a post here years ago with a dimensioned blueprint on how and where to drill your current clamp for bar mounts. Pretty simple machining job. The guy who posted it even had a link to his machinist who would do yours for you if you don't have access to a Bridgeport. I was considering doing mine just using my drill press with a two axis vice but I got lucky and found a GT top triple at a very reasonable price. I will admit the bike really looks considerably better with clip ons but I can't deny the comfort upgrade to my aging wrists and back.
Good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There was a post here years ago with a dimensioned blueprint on how and where to drill your current clamp for bar mounts. Pretty simple machining job. The guy who posted it even had a link to his machinist who would do yours for you if you don't have access to a Bridgeport. I was considering doing mine just using my drill press with a two axis vice but I got lucky and found a GT top triple at a very reasonable price. I will admit the bike really looks considerably better with clip ons but I can't deny the comfort upgrade to my aging wrists and back.
Good luck.
Yea I saw the post and the dimensional drawing. I was hoping to just swap a set with someone who wants them instead of milling them. I'll go the mill route if I don't find anyone.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,290 Posts
Anyone interested in trading me their GT top clamp (with the bar clamp holes) for a smooth SC top clamp?
I sold the top triple clamp from my GT a few months ago.
IMHO the Sport 1000 clamp looks a lot better.

Have you considered using ST clip-ons instead?
They provide a very comfortable position (similar to a Sport Tourer) maintaining the clean look.

This is how they look on mine:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking for something a little higher. I'm planning on going with a set of Moose Competition CR-Hi aluminum bars with the cross brace. I'm making a new seat and high rise fenders too.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,290 Posts
I'm looking for something a little higher. I'm planning on going with a set of Moose Competition CR-Hi aluminum bars with the cross brace. I'm making a new seat and high rise fenders too.
Wow!
That is quite a transformation.

Are you making a Scrambler out of a SC?
Why not swapping bikes for a Desert Sled instead of swapping top triples?

Just Joking! :grin2:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow!
That is quite a transformation.

Are you making a Scrambler out of a SC?
Why not swapping bikes for a Desert Sled instead of swapping top triples?

Just Joking! :grin2:
More like Scrambler sprinklings. Suspension and wheels will stay the same. Just a few mods to change the look a bit and make it more comfortable. This is the end goal:

Attachments

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,290 Posts
More like Scrambler sprinklings. Suspension and wheels will stay the same. Just a few mods to change the look a bit and make it more comfortable. This is the end goal:
That looks interesting.

With the handlebar so high you might meed to modify the footpegs position also.

Stock SC rearsets are located high and back. They match the forward position of the stock SC clip-ons.

The tall handlebar will not be so comfortable if you don't move the footpegs to the front in a lower position.
Something closer to what the GT1000 has.

·
Registered
270 Posts
That looks interesting.

With the handlebar so high you might meed to modify the footpegs position also.

Stock SC rearsets are located high and back. They match the forward position of the stock SC clip-ons.

The tall handlebar will not be so comfortable if you don't move the footpegs to the front in a lower position.
Something closer to what the GT1000 has.
I'm not sure about those particular bars but I have the GT top clamp with taller risers and a superbike bend bars on my SC sand with the stock pegs it's quite comfortable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just had them machined and some aluminum spacers made for the Mika Metals clamps I bought. $150 for the machining & spacers. I'll post some photos once it's together.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,290 Posts
I'm not sure about those particular bars but I have the GT top clamp with taller risers and a superbike bend bars on my SC sand with the stock pegs it's quite comfortable.
Nice!

Your stock pegs are comfortable with the tall bar because you have the "biposto" rearsets. They are very similar to the GT1000's.

The pegs that would need to be replaced or moved down and forward IMHO are the stock "monoposto" rearsets in PNWSC1000's photo:

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,290 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Attachments

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,290 Posts
Woof! That IS expensive.

I had them machined and spacers made to raise the clamps above the curved top surface of the clamp for $150. Mika aluminum clamps with Moose Racing CR-HI aluminum bars.
I don't recall any SC with that kind of handlebar.

To be honest. It looks better than what I thought it would.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I don't recall any SC with that kind of handlebar.

To be honest. It looks better than what I thought it would.
I agree, it does look pretty cool and not really out of place.

I can see the attraction to morphing it into a pseudo Scrambler style.

I'm still trying to decide if I want a Desert Sled or not......., won't swap just add to.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,464 Posts
Still willing to trade? I have a GT top clamp currently installed on my sport 1000 (bought used). Let me know.
This topic is 3 years old. (And actually belongs in the Classifieds. Oops.) Be sure to check your dates! BTW, the OP hasn't been here in 5 months.

·
Registered
917 Posts
This topic is 3 years old. (And actually belongs in the Classifieds. Oops.) Be sure to check your dates! BTW, the OP hasn't been here in 5 months.
LOL, not only that but the OP shows in the thread that he has already machined his top clamp for risers and bars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts