Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
thanks for digging up a 3 year old thread.

In another thread on this board it has been discussed that all modern Ducs with and without traction control have a "rate of change" ignition cut system that will kill any clutch type wheelies.

The 848s used in the Transformers movie had to use an aftermarket ECU to perform their stunts in the movie.

The guy who built the bikes and did the stunt coordination confirmed with Ducati that this "rate of change" system does indeed exist and there is no way to disable it.
Thanks for the info. It is really sad since I honestly like doing wheelies and really dont get the purpose of this system. Bike for me is something that doesnt necesserily need abs and traction control like cars.. I want to be the one who controls everything without limits. :(

Only one quetion remains. Can I buy ECU that does not have this limit?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for the info. It is really sad since I honestly like doing wheelies and really dont get the purpose of this system. Bike for me is something that doesnt necesserily need abs and traction control like cars.. I want to be the one who controls everything without limits. :(

My experience with the sf848:
At a test ride and new delivery the tc is set to 8, i found that the engine is cut off way too often, even at dry road straight ahead... Wheely is impossible
I tried to reduce it step by step.
At 4 or lower a wheely is possible.
I think the system should prevent a low- or high- sider in slippery corners or at to much throttle, otherwide it is a waste of money.
That money should be in better suspension. Would be more useful....:cool:
A sf doesn,t have abs, because there is no space to put.
It would kill the design....:p
But, who needs all this :confused:

·
Bon Vivant
10,738 Posts

I agree with you.

Yes you can buy a microtec or a nemesis ECU, neither has any form of wheelie control.
Most likely you will have to have the map sorted for your bike by a professional tuner on a dyno, neither ECU has a good map for the SF.
The whole thing will probably run you around $1500 to $2000.

That would be a good time to do your exhaust system and any air intake mods so you don't have to do the tune over when you decide to add those things later.

Attackthatcorner, unfortunately the TC is a separate system from the wheelie control and although the TC does have an effect on wheelies turning it off doesn't turn off the rate of change system that will stop clutch type wheelies.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with you.

Yes you can buy a microtec or a nemesis ECU, neither has any form of wheelie control.
Most likely you will have to have the map sorted for your bike by a professional tuner on a dyno, neither ECU has a good map for the SF.
The whole thing will probably run you around $1500 to $2000.

That would be a good time to do your exhaust system and any air intake mods so you don't have to do the tune over when you decide to add those things later.

Attackthatcorner, unfortunately the TC is a separate system from the wheelie control and although the TC does have an effect on wheelies turning it off doesn't turn off the rate of change system that will stop clutch type wheelies.
Is there a difference between sf848 and 1098?
I plan to try a rexxer remap, maybe this has a wc setting......:confused:

·
Registered
96 Posts
This topic confuses me, I must admit. Unless the DP termi ecu is completely different. My best friends does clutch wheelies all day long. And I mean all day long. He runs a DP ECU. He also does power wheelies as well just not as often. But he pulls both off flawlessly.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Bon Vivant
10,738 Posts
Is there a difference between sf848 and 1098?
I plan to try a rexxer remap, maybe this has a wc setting......:confused:
As far as I know all Ducatis after 2009 with Magneti-Marelli ECU's have this "rate of change" ignition cut system.
I don't believe my 2008 1098R has it, but I haven't experimented with that bike much yet as I've only ridden it a few times.

I don't believe that any of the tuners have a marker for this system and I believe that officially Ducati will deny it's existence.
But they admitted to it with the movie stunt guys...

The easiest way to find out if your bike has it is to try it.
If you know how to clutch-up a wheelie give it a go. You'll know right away because it will be impossible to do.
If you've never done it before I don't think you should do this at all - be careful and do not try this and blame me if you wreck.
This is your responsibility.

I don't think most Ducati riders are wheelie guys, I've never heard many complaints so I have to think most owners don't try it.
The thing is, most people can wheelie a Duc without the clutch and they wheelie fine with just the throttle. (no ignition cut)
But here at altitude I found this problem with my bike the first few weeks of ownership, we need a little clutch help here because of our lower HP and Torque
Where I see it the most is shifting between first and second gear - most bikes will wheelie pretty good with a fast 1-2 shift under WOT. The SF will start to and cut the ignition for a split second keeping the front end down.

Another interesting find is that my Multi with it's Seamans ECU doesn't seem to have this problem. I doubt the newest non-MM ECUs are equipped with this "feature"

·
Bon Vivant
10,738 Posts
This topic confuses me, I must admit. Unless the DP termi ecu is completely different. My best friends does clutch wheelies all day long. And I mean all day long. He runs a DP ECU. He also does power wheelies as well just not as often. But he pulls both off flawlessly.

power wheelies aren't effected by this thing, are you sure he's not just doing that? What bike does he have?

Doesn't Florida have some insane wheelie law? like they impound your bike and fine you a million dollars?

found it: Starting Oct. 1, 2008 the anti-wheelie law takes effect. A third-timer faces a felony charge and can be fined as much as $5,000 – along with a 10-year license revocation.
good luck to your friend.

·
Registered
96 Posts
power wheelies aren't effected by this thing, are you sure he's not just doing that? What bike does he have?

Doesn't Florida have some insane wheelie law? like they impound your bike and fine you a million dollars?

found it: Starting Oct. 1, 2008 the anti-wheelie law takes effect. A third-timer faces a felony charge and can be fined as much as $5,000 – along with a 10-year license revocation.
good luck to your friend.
Nope. I'm 100% he's doing clutch wheelies. That's what he mostly does. Confusing. I know. It's a 2010 Streetfighter S. Traction control set to 4 if that makes a difference, which its not supposed.

·
Bon Vivant
10,738 Posts
Nope. I'm 100% he's doing clutch wheelies. That's what he mostly does. Confusing. I know. It's a 2010 Streetfighter S. Traction control set to 4 if that makes a difference, which its not supposed.

you got me - I'd love to have him give it a try on my bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I first read this thread a few days ago and thought I would wait for a dry day to go out and try. Flyn, I have to tell you that I have the same experience as you. I have a 2010 SFS and I tried very hard to clutch the beast up and I could get the wheel up but not enough to sustain any distance. I could power it up no problem. I even turned the traction control to 1 knowing that it would not help anything but thought Id give it a try. I will admit I did not try clutching it up at road speeds like I would do on my F4 if I wanted to do a stand up so I will try that this weekend if it is nice and see if I get a different result. But for now, (and I am not stunter) it is very difficult to do clutched wheelies.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Can someone sum this up a little please! DTC controls wheelies??? Turning it off doesn't help wheelies??? Or at least point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts

The only time I have an issue is if I try clutchin up! I have a 2015 Ducati Monster 821 and I have no problem power wheeling in 2nd gear! Right around 52mph 7-8k rpms crack the throttle open and pull up a little and it should come right up! I have a video on my Instagram! (Kiall_Kyle).

·
Bon Vivant
10,738 Posts
The only time I have an issue is if I try clutchin up! I have a 2015 Ducati Monster 821 and I have no problem power wheeling in 2nd gear! Right around 52mph 7-8k rpms crack the throttle open and pull up a little and it should come right up! I have a video on my Instagram! (Kiall_Kyle).
Do you realize this thread is 8 years old?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts