Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was mentioned by "Flynbulldog" in another post that he couldn't do wheelies with the Traction Control on. I thought it might be interesting to see if anyone else knew this or what other effects the Traction Control might have that we didn't realize.

As I understand it, the bike is not designed to NOT wheelie but the system measures the difference in wheel speed between the front and rear to detect "wheel spin." In effect, when the front wheel lifts its speed slows compared to the back which is accelerating and the traction control thinks the back is "slipping" and retards the timing. This is an interesting finding and something I hadn't thought of. It is also kind of a bummer, depending on what kind of riding your doing. I can't think of a work around for this.

Now I know why my buddy on his 1198s was always pulling just small wheel lifts under hard acceleration, I thought he was just really consistent. Ha Ha now I know its just the bike pulling the wheel back down! It does, however, make for some very strong acceleration without worrying about wheelies when you don't want them.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It was mentioned by "Flynbulldog" in another post that he couldn't do wheelies with the Traction Control on. I thought it might be interesting to see if anyone else knew this or what other effects the Traction Control might have that we didn't realize.

As I understand it, the bike is not designed to NOT wheelie but the system measures the difference in wheel speed between the front and rear to detect "wheel spin." In effect, when the front wheel lifts its speed slows compared to the back which is accelerating and the traction control thinks the back is "slipping" and retards the timing. This is an interesting finding and something I hadn't thought of. It is also kind of a bummer, depending on what kind of riding your doing. I can't think of a work around for this.

Now I know why my buddy on his 1198s was always pulling just small wheel lifts under hard acceleration, I thought he was just really consistent. Ha Ha now I know its just the bike pulling the wheel back down! It does, however, make for some very strong acceleration without worrying about wheelies when you don't want them.
I was wondering about this myself a while back but there is also another part to the equation, The traction control also measures lean angle, so it should not matter if you are straight up. The traction control should not do anything to just regular wheelies. I don't know if this is clear.

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
it's a good question

option one.. turn traction control off.
option two.. turn traction control way down.

I read the same review you mentioned about not being able to do wheelies with traction control on.. He mentions the bike slamming the wheel back down no matter what level the DTC is at. On the professional reviews I have read you supposedly can get bigger wheelies from the bike. It makes me wonder if Flynbulldog was touching the front brake without realizing? who knows. I hope to find out soon :)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can assure you I was not touching the front brake...
I'm only reporting how the bike reacted for me, you let me know when you get a chance to try it out, until then...
I think he meant the back brake as the front would have no effect. And as for the journalists, many of them did make note of turning off the DTC while testing.

An interesting test would be to see if the bike will let you do a burn-out. If the wheelie theory is correct, it would also be logical that it would not let you do a burn-out either.

·
Registered
169 Posts
With DTC off I can tell you that ,especially with Renthals on,even running in below 6k rpm, the front positively craves airtime....:eek:

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
several things to consider

I have heard that the DTC doesn't even kick in until 20 mph so you can still do burn outs and probably slow speed wheelies.

I have also read that if you were to move the computer for the DTC (it's in the tail) that you will have to place it at the same angle and in a similar location to it's current location ... my guess is because the DTC supposedly can measure your lean angle to adjust the DTC appropriately, this leads me to believe that it has accelerometers in the design that can tell then you are doing a wheely and ALSO from what I have read the DTC should not affect a wheelies.
I have also read another review that said the bike would lift the front tire for a little bit and then slam back down when set to level 6 on the DTC.. which would give evidence that Flynbulldog was correct in their assessment.
I have tried the bike but I haven't received mine yet. and I am not a wheely puller, I just like going really fast and taking curves fast and you know the normal stuff. my wheelies are limited to taking off from stop signs. and when I did try the bike, I couldn't get the front to lift, but I wasn't specifically trying.
anyway,, Flynbulldong. I can't control my dealer but if I had my bike I would turn off the traction control and go have fun that way.. and then use the traction control for what it was designed.

·
Registered
132 Posts
These are floating around the Internet, but apparently it is part of a service presentation that Ducati put together for dealers. Hopefully it clears up a few things...

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I think he meant the back brake as the front would have no effect. And as for the journalists, many of them did make note of turning off the DTC while testing.

An interesting test would be to see if the bike will let you do a burn-out. If the wheelie theory is correct, it would also be logical that it would not let you do a burn-out either.
I know in a car w/ TC =no burnouts. Mydad used to have a big boat that seemd to have tons of get up and go but could not spin the wheels,,,, then I noticed a turn off TC button, wa-la,, smoke city!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have been wondering this for a long time now. I used to have KTM 530 EXC Supermoto as my bike before and changed it to hypermotard 796. With the KTM I could easily "clutch it up" to do a wheelie without worrying about the engine cutting its ignition. With the hyper the "clutching" doesnt work since it cuts the engine every freaking time u try to pop a wheelie with clutch. And I it doesnt have ANY kind of traction control.

If I have understood this right, I cant turn this feature off?? I can do wheelies easily with only using the throttle but in higher speeds the clutch is needed (when doing wheelie from over 100-120 kmh).

If anyone knows how to get this annoying feature off please answer! This really is important to me since I like to do wheelies.

·
Bon Vivant
10,747 Posts
thanks for digging up a 3 year old thread.

In another thread on this board it has been discussed that all modern Ducs with and without traction control have a "rate of change" ignition cut system that will kill any clutch type wheelies.

The 848s used in the Transformers movie had to use an aftermarket ECU to perform their stunts in the movie.

The guy who built the bikes and did the stunt coordination confirmed with Ducati that this "rate of change" system does indeed exist and there is no way to disable it.

·
Temporary greeter
23,070 Posts
thanks for digging up a 3 year old thread.

In another thread on this board it has been discussed that all modern Ducs with and without traction control have a "rate of change" ignition cut system that will kill any clutch type wheelies.

The 848s used in the Transformers movie had to use an aftermarket ECU to perform their stunts in the movie.

The guy who built the bikes and did the stunt coordination confirmed with Ducati that this "rate of change" system does indeed exist and there is no way to disable it.
Actually, I believe the fix was a "magic ECU" that was sent as a replacement. I don't believe it can be done for the normal customer though.

On both of my KTM's, you just untick a box on the the tune ecu software and it is gone. ;)

·
Bon Vivant
10,747 Posts
Actually, I believe the fix was a "magic ECU" that was sent as a replacement. I don't believe it can be done for the normal customer though.

On both of my KTM's, you just untick a box on the the tune ecu software and it is gone. ;)
No, I asked and they installed nemesis ECU's in the 848's.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts