Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All, I'm new to this site, and new to Ducati's. I just picked up a 2002 748 w/ only 3K miles. It has a full Termi exhaust system, and is chipped). I'm thinking about going to the track, and this weekend, I took it up to the twisties and have some feedback. Wanted to get the forum's opinion on observations/tips.

* It seems these bikes love to be in the higher RPM's. In lower RPM's, the bike hiccups a lot w/ throttle. Seems to be smoother in the higher RPM range. Does this mean that 1) I need to be in lower gear in corners, or 2) I need to be going faster? =) I also don't know if this is a factor of the Termi's and chip, and if the chip is flashed appropriately.

* These bikes love to lean in. Compared to the other bikes I've had, once you lean, it feels like it is going to fall over on you. It leans very quickly. Is this also expected? I guess the trellis frame and top-heavy design does this?

* My neck and shoulders hurt the day after. Not sure if I was just too tense since it was my first day back in the mountains in 7 years, or maybe the ride stance just too aggressive. This or I am just out of shape!

Thoughts/advice?

thanks.

·
grand poobah
714 Posts
Welcome to the fold. Yes your 748 likes revs. The sweet spot for horsepower is about 7K to 10K. There are some good stock hp/rpm charts out there. As for tip in, check your tires for wear. A flat center from high mileage street riding can lead to this feeling. Otherwise what you said about center of gravity etc. Enjoy your 748 she is a great bike. Brad.

·
Registered
304 Posts
+1 on the tires. As for the sore neck sounds normal for not riding regularly in 7 years. Depending on the track you frequent you may consider going 1 down on the front sprocket or a couple up in rear with a quick change.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Me too

I bought a 2001 748 with 15000 miles on it last week.
It sounds like the devil.
I took it to the track on the weekend and nearly crashed 3 times runing wide out of corners. On the last session I was starting to get the hang of it and it was getting to be good fun. The power is definetly there K7-10 rpm. I hit the rev limiter and missed gears, had major brake shudder and could not slide the back wheel into corners (no rear brakes)
A racer is going to help with the set up and the bike will develop into a decent, inexpensive track bike.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Wir7,

check a few things:

throttle position sensor and co adjustment. That should explain the rough throttle response.

Secondly please show us a picture of your steering head. You can adjust it to flat and steep angles. The steep angle will make the bike flickable but nervous.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts