Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1321 - 1325 of 1325 Posts

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Weeeeeeeeeeellll... about that 748cc...

Remember when I said it had some "really nice tweaks?"

One of those was an 853 cc kit... :D :D :D
Hmmm, I was wondering if that was the case..
Regardless, I'm thinking that must be a very entertaining motor!
In fact, I've heard it whispered that the 853 capacity is the Desmoquattro "sweet spot", even in relatively pedestrian form, never mind in RS form.
Any thoughts to share on that idea Sherpa? You have a Desmoquattro in practically every version possible

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Hmmm, I was wondering if that was the case..
Regardless, I'm thinking that must be a very entertaining motor!
In fact, I've heard it whispered that the 853 capacity is the Desmoquattro "sweet spot", even in relatively pedestrian form, never mind in RS form.
Any thoughts to share on that idea Sherpa? You have a Desmoquattro in practically every version possible
It's definitely a very entertaining motor and has a variety of differences over stock. I won't bore you with all of it but a stock 748RS (just like the other DQ RS motors) has a very specific run range. From about 7500 to 13.5k rpm it is pure magic and below that, it doesn't really run right. It doesn't like to idle and the power delivery even at 5k-6k is pretty off. But you get it above 8k and it's pure magic.

With the 853 change and a few other mods in the engine build process, not only do you get more power but it's spread out through more of the rev range. It's still the same kind of RS magic but you get a lot more of it. It's also smoother in my experience than my old 998RS (which is the only other RS that I've spent any real time riding on the track).

The RS bikes are substantially different from all of the other bikes and ride very differently. You have to ride them like an RS and not like any of the street bikes, even the 996R or 998R. If not, the bike just doesn't work the way it's intended.

Lastly, they are RS motors and as such, they're pretty high strung and do have intense maintenance and rebuild schedules. I try to shift at 11.5k rpm to extend the engine life between rebuilds and, fortunately, I have enough track bikes that there is a nice rotation of them to keep them all pretty fresh.

Reactions: vanduc996

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
It's definitely a very entertaining motor and has a variety of differences over stock. I won't bore you with all of it but a stock 748RS (just like the other DQ RS motors) has a very specific run range. From about 7500 to 13.5k rpm it is pure magic and below that, it doesn't really run right. It doesn't like to idle and the power delivery even at 5k-6k is pretty off. But you get it above 8k and it's pure magic.

With the 853 change and a few other mods in the engine build process, not only do you get more power but it's spread out through more of the rev range. It's still the same kind of RS magic but you get a lot more of it. It's also smoother in my experience than my old 998RS (which is the only other RS that I've spent any real time riding on the track).

The RS bikes are substantially different from all of the other bikes and ride very differently. You have to ride them like an RS and not like any of the street bikes, even the 996R or 998R. If not, the bike just doesn't work the way it's intended.

Lastly, they are RS motors and as such, they're pretty high strung and do have intense maintenance and rebuild schedules. I try to shift at 11.5k rpm to extend the engine life between rebuilds and, fortunately, I have enough track bikes that there is a nice rotation of them to keep them all pretty fresh.
Very interesting info Sherpa, thank you for your input

1321 - 1325 of 1325 Posts