Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience and/or opinion on a Hypermotard as a dedicated trackbike? Would be almost exclusively on shorter, slower tracks like Barber and Talladega GP. I amin the A group and have a CBR1000RR Superstock racebike now and, even with much shortened gearing, I never get out of 3rd gear at those tracks. Also, want something a with a bit bit less racey riding position.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
How fast is your 3rd gear?
1100 hypers run out of steam @ 120mph stock geared....yes they will eventually go faster but stop pulling @ 110 I've never attempted gearing one higher.

On tighter tracks even with lower gears I really had a problem catching 701 huskys coming out (and going into) corners & don't even think about catching a YZF450 anywhere but longer straights between corners.

KTM 690's & 890's will obliterate you damn near everywhere........except LONG straights come corner time they'll gain on you in a hurry.

The hypers are really a unicorn I can kill any "bullit bike" in canyons especally going uphill the tighter the better but throw in a couple long straights I'm playing catch up, get one on a tight track the 450's will eat your lunch.

There basically a supermoto that needs a 200lb diet my next step is a $25,000.00 titanium frame or submit to buying a KTM 890R (or 990R when released) for less money, weight & comes with a quick shifter that actually works without detonating a very expensive transmission if not shifted HARD.

One more thing 1100 hypers require alot of knowledge from your maintinace personnel whether you or someone else.......that's an entirely different chapter.

I don't know squat about any other hypers other than owners of them really get pissed when getting beat by a 15 year old aircooled "turd" with a 62yo rider administrating said ass whoopin.

· Registered
530 Posts
KTM 690's & 890's will obliterate you damn near everywhere........except LONG straights come corner time they'll gain on you in a hurry.
That doesn't really matter on a track-day bike, does it? I have a good time on my old RZ-350, which tops out at 110 or so with my 200 pounds on it. But it sure is a hoot in the corners.

· Registered
198 Posts
That was a bit pessimistic. I'm prepping my 1100 for track duty this year. Beeing fastest isn't important, but having fun is. I think it's a killer bike for short tracks.

· Registered
607 Posts
That doesn't really matter on a track-day bike, does it? I have a good time on my old RZ-350, which tops out at 110 or so with my 200 pounds on it. But it sure is a hoot in the corners.
+1000. And the rider is waaaay more important to lap times than the bike is.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
I must be different than most riders on track days

I'm in it to win it.

· Smut peddler
1,635 Posts

I'm in it to win it.
Oh, you're that guy out to win the fastest guy at the track day award, huh?:rolleyes:

😁Just kidding, it's all good. I'm at the opposite end, hanging out in the C group, sometimes going to B, but not often. I'd bet I only ride 30 minutes of my 4-30 minute sessions in real anger. I prefer to get with one or two other riders, and get in a rhythm, or just concentrate on being smooth. At any rate OP, I think you'd love a hyper on a short track. I like it better than my monster. Being that you run a pretty serious price of machinery, it would probably be fun for you to be on a machine that you can outride. Wise man said its more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than a fast bike slow. A super duke would probably be more focused to your liking though. They are pretty badass.

· Premium Member
6,682 Posts
As the Op knows some bikes fit some tracks better than others I would bet a Hyper would be great fun at Barber (don't know Talledega) , the seating position would give all day fun and the torque would get you out of those corners. I do agree with Jeffrpm in that there are lighter and easier to ride bikes than a hyper 1100 but if it is the bike you like no reason not to. One of our trackday instructors has a 1100 that is about the longest owned bike I think he has, nothing sticks around for long yet here it still is.

Rearsets would be among the first additions followed by probably a steering Damper, reducing weight anywhere you can would be a good idea as well. Find some forged aluminum wheels and start crash proofing the bike. Slipper clutch, quick change rear sprocket and a lightened flywheel. Keep your eyes peeled for a set of cams to add some top end power a big bore kit with streetable compression should net you about 15-20% gains. Without traction control be aware the torque will break traction so though it is not close to the Hp level of the CBR1000 it is not too far behind in torque but in a much smaller power band.

· Registered
2,611 Posts
I don't like being behind anybody for many reasons 1 of witch is for some stupid reason I pickup on riders bad decisions & there line after a bit & ALL of them are doing stupid shit & for some reason I pick it up?

That's bad

The other is plowing into a yard sale (crashes) when EVERYONE shits there pants from getting "object fixation" & piles on.

No thanks

· Registered
880 Posts

I'm in it to win it.
There's nothing to win though. I think the biggest wins from a TD for me that translate directly to street riding are working out suspension changes around tire selection, improving body position, and developing the courage to brake deeper/avoiding engine braking completely going into a turn.

· Registered
147 Posts
I enjoyed my time on racetracks with my air cooled hyper, lucky to have a really nicely set up bike too with Ohlins suspension, resets (a must have) , etc... But it's kind of like a nimble tractor though right? Not as sharp as a proper supermoto, couldn't keep up on long straights, the pull of twin cylinder liter bike torque was pretty damn fun though.

In the end my aging body ended up getting annoyed with the upright and wide riding position, seemed like so much work getting my body off the bike in order to keep good corner speed and drive out the way I wanted to, was "easier" on a sportbike. But, I nearly killed myself on a S1000RR so there's that... If you could bring both to a track day that would be perfect IMO.

And count me as another one that's always looking to WIN... 😁🤷

· Registered
530 Posts
I can't ride laying down on crotch rockets for longer than 5 minutes or my lower back says "your done"
I used to race a TZ-250. A few years ago I had a chance to take a few laps on one and I could barely move my neck afterward. Pure torture!

Reactions: Chuckracer
1 - 20 of 29 Posts