Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search, which helped a little, but I thought I might post this question here. What track day only (no street use) tires can you recommend, with the following requirements? No tire warmers will be used, and they are for a light bike with not much power (1997 SS/SP 330 lbs, 80 or so hp). The rear wheel is 5.5", so the rear needs to be available in a 180 size (no 190s please). I've been using Michelin Pilot Powers (not 2tc) and I had the front slide out recently (no I didn't save it :(). I'm looking for something with better grip and feedback. However, I'm concerned about cold tearing and loss of tire life due to heat cycling without tire warmers, but I really don't want to use them. Thanks for any suggestions.
Joe

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
There really isn't a DOT race that won't cold-tear on your first hot lap w/o warmers. This is the reason why people use warmers, to prevent tearing and of course heat cycles.

Your bike is light, so I suggest a tire with an over-all softer sidewall like the Pirelli Supercorsa Pro or the new Michelin Power one, which is highly rated.

Bridgestone makes a great tire, slightly stiffer sidewall and totally different profile to the more standard pirelli and michelin. Dunlop makes the best tire in my opinion, but I wouldn't use a 211GP w/o warmers... they take a long time to warm up, unlike the Pirelli's which will warm up very quickly.

In the end, if you want any of these tires to have good feedback and for you to feel confident in them, you really need a set of tire warmers. You'd be shocked how quickly tires go bad from heat cycles...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
+1 on the SC pro. Love that tire.
I use them without tire warmer and I have little trouble getting them upto temp wihout tearing. Ofc you still have those heat cycles... I'm too lazy to use them in between sessions anyway :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts