Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to decide the pros and cons of tracking the Hyper or buying a dedicated track bike.
  • Pro-track experience translates to road
  • Pro- less $$$ to get Hyper on the track than buying another bike
  • Pro- Hyper gets benefit of upgrades, slipper clutch etc
  • Con- if I break the bike I don't have anything to ride
  • Con- not really a track machine, I keep getting passed on the straights
  • Pro- I keep passing sport bikes in the tight corners:D

Anyway weigh-in and let me know if you have gone through this dilemma.

I'm not looking to move to racing, just aggressive track sessions.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I'm trying to decide the pros and cons of tracking the Hyper or buying a dedicated track bike.
  • Pro-track experience translates to road
  • Pro- less $$$ to get Hyper on the track than buying another bike
  • Pro- Hyper gets benefit of upgrades, slipper clutch etc
  • Con- if I break the bike I don't have anything to ride
  • Con- not really a track machine, I keep getting passed on the straights
  • Pro- I keep passing sport bikes in the tight corners:D
Anyway weigh-in and let me know if you have gone through this dilemma.

I'm not looking to move to racing, just aggressive track sessions.
Go track the Hyper, its a good track bike, just not a great track bike, but it sure is a LOT of FUN!! (if you like being different)
Get the suspension dialed, buy a slipper clutch & some sticky tires, and go kick some sport bike ass!
Just don't crash, it'll be expensive! LOL Aloha Alex

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Go track the Hyper, its a good track bike, just not a great track bike, but it sure is a LOT of FUN!! (if you like being different)
Get the suspension dialed, buy a slipper clutch & some sticky tires, and go kick some sport bike ass!
Just don't crash, it'll be expensive! LOL Aloha Alex
and mod your hyper like alex's ... make the primary inspection cover leak oil all over the left foot peg ... so you have a slipper foot peg to compliment the slipper clutch :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and mod your hyper like alex's ... make the primary inspection cover leak oil all over the left foot peg ... so you have a slipper foot peg to compliment the slipper clutch :rolleyes:
I knew there would be some great tech help from you guys.:D

I did track the Hyper and I have been to a few California Superbike schools. That's why I'm conflicted. I like both.

·
Registered
331 Posts
In all seriousness, I vote for a dedicated track bike because fixing a gsxr/r1/r6 after a bin is MUCH cheaper than fixing a Ducati. Plus, you can likely find a VERY well sorted race ready track bike for around $5-6k.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In all seriousness, I vote for a dedicated track bike because fixing a gsxr/r1/r6 after a bin is MUCH cheaper than fixing a Ducati. Plus, you can likely find a VERY well sorted race ready track bike for around $5-6k.
That's a great point, I've found several very nice zx6r's and r6's, I almost bought a new zx6r. Only one problem, if I go for a dedicated track bike it will be a 749r or 848. I loved the Kawi at CSS but I really like the torque of the Ducati. Not to mention I really like Ducatis.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
I always recommend having a dedicated track bike, no matter what it is, and no matter what you ride on the street. It's just way more convenient in so many ways.

As much as I love my Hyper, there's no way I would make it my full-time track bike. It's certainly a fun bike to ride - on a short track, at least - but the upright seating position, twitchy handling, and lack of top speed gets old after a while.

If you can swing a 749 or 848 as a dedicated track bike, then absolutely do that.

There's my two... :cool:

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
I always recommend having a dedicated track bike, no matter what it is, and no matter what you ride on the street. It's just way more convenient in so many ways.

As much as I love my Hyper, there's no way I would make it my full-time track bike. It's certainly a fun bike to ride - on a short track, at least - but the upright seating position, twitchy handling, and lack of top speed gets old after a while.

If you can swing a 749 or 848 as a dedicated track bike, then absolutely do that.

There's my two... :cool:
+1 Though I've had my Hyper on the track a few times... due to lack of dedicated track bike. Ha.

·
Registered
399 Posts
You could always get a Kawasaki er6f...check out Ryan Farquars track version in this months Bike magazine UK

1 - 11 of 11 Posts