Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in Michigan. Well not now, but when the weather breaks, like 6mo from now.

I NEVER have done a track day. Is there any DE events or classes or track/racing prep type classes? I'd like to learn about better riding and the limits of my skills and the bike. I thought I could sign up for some classes in the spring.

·
Registered
114 Posts
wcc said:
I'm in Michigan. Well not now, but when the weather breaks, like 6mo from now.

I NEVER have done a track day. Is there any DE events or classes or track/racing prep type classes? I'd like to learn about better riding and the limits of my skills and the bike. I thought I could sign up for some classes in the spring.
Bill-
IMO, you don't need a track day prep event. Just go to a STT track day, join the novice group and put yourself in the bottom group. After each track session (5 or 6 a day) there is a classroom session, and they go over all the basics, and give you exercises to work on for the next session (i.e. stay in 3rd gear the whole time and don't use the brake, lead a lap with the instructor behind you, etc...) When I went to Gingerman this past summer, it was my first track day, and I had less than 2000 road miles under my belt, and I felt completely comfortable and had a great time, and learned a ton!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
I'd say there's no point in testing your limits or the bike's. I mean don't go out there thinking that your goal is to go as fast as possible, get you knee down and beat everyone around the track. Most likely isn't going to happen unless you are a natural or something. Be smooth. This is number 1 priority. The organization should tell you this. Be consistent and predictable. The control riders help you with your lines and things like that. All this stuff is more important and comes way before I think testing the limits of the bike or you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great posts guys! I really appreciate the input. I'd like to be more comfortable leaning the bike over more. I haven't quite got the knee down thing. Basically, I'd like to do better cornering.

Yeah grendels_arm that's kinda getting at. Good line of attack, yet safe and in a controlled environment.

seven158, good tip, I'll have to look into one of those STT events. That would be a great place to start.

ducatimike - downloaded the checklist and I'll be looking for a copy of that book for my winter time reading.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
wcc said:
Yeah grendels_arm that's kinda getting at. Good line of attack, yet safe and in a controlled environment.
Track is much safer than the street. No cops, cars, etc. You'll learn body position at the track as control riders will give you tips on what you need to correct.

Really just go have fun, get used to the environment, don't worry about going fast, and learn basic stuff. I don't have very good learning habits myself.

·
Registered
37 Posts
You will be pretty nervous at your first one, but remember there won't be any passing in the novice group. You can just go at a comfortable pace on clean pavement and get a real feel for the bike. There are no trophies or money at a track day so just keep it at your pace. It often feels like we are the lone rangers and no one else is in the same boat as us. You will not be the only guy there that has never been on a track, you won't be alone.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Phil and Sam - Those posts are great confidence builders! It's too bad the next track day is like 5-6months away....... Oh well, it gives me something to look forward to over these long winter months.

Oh and Phil - I'm already nervous and it's months away! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts