Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time for new track plastics (low-sided again). The last two set of plastics I had, didn't clear the full exhaust, so I had to cut holes in the belly pan to clear the pipes. Is there a brand of track plastics that will clear the exhaust pipes (bigger and taller belly pan)?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dude, what happened? Are they not repairable again? I bought a 57mm full exhaust and it should be here this week so I will let you know how the Catalyst Composites bodywork fits with the big exhaust. I dont forsee any issues though. I know Sharkskins fit but as you know are expensive.

Sucks to hear you went down again, lets hear about what happened. Got any pics of the bike?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sorry to hear about your get off. I've got a full 54mm Termi exhaust on my 749 and I've got Sharkskinz race bodywork on it. The belly pan clears the pipes just fine but it needed some trimming to fit properly. I crashed up in Loudon with the Sharkskinz earlier in the season. The crash repair consisted of some fiberglass patches and a paint job by my local painter and they were good as new again. I can't recommend them enough. Yes, they are expensive compared to some of the other brands but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorry to hear about your get off. I've got a full 54mm Termi exhaust on my 749 and I've got Sharkskinz race bodywork on it. The belly pan clears the pipes just fine but it needed some trimming to fit properly. I crashed up in Loudon with the Sharkskinz earlier in the season. The crash repair consisted of some fiberglass patches and a paint job by my local painter and they were good as new again. I can't recommend them enough. Yes, they are expensive compared to some of the other brands but you get what you pay for.
I agree good bodywork is worth the investment, but I do not think SS is the end all be all. My new CRC palstics are as nice as any SS I have seen and for a couple hundred $ less. Either way, a little more spent on good bodywork should save you $ in the future.

That being said, I run cheap ebay plastics(pit-eck I believe) on my SV650 and it has survived 3 wrecks and is still very useable. Actually I am selling them to a buddy of mine who will repair them and use them next season. So cheapo isnt always bad. My sv is such a budget bike that I did not want to drop a bunch of $ on bodywork and the cheap stuff has served me very well this season.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses guys. Do you all have serpent style full exhaust like this one. The loop part is the one that doesn't clear the fairing:

About the crash: I was at Grattan for the weekend. Saturday was Clockwise, Sunday was CCW. This happened on Saturday, the session just before lunch. It started raining, the riders in front of me took the pit lane, I had a lot of gap to the next rider (bad thinking), came out of turn three, flicked it to the right for turn four, hit the apex, got on the throttle, the rear started slipping out on the patch aka "one of the features" ;) The crash wasn't as bad as the last one. I just slid along with it, nice and easy. Luckily it was just before lunch. So I had time to ghetto fix it, with out missing a session. I just ran w/o belly-pan for the rest of the weekend. Grattan is one fun track, both CW and CCW.

You can see in this pic, how I had to cut holes in the belly pan to clear the pipes (the horizontal hole is not for side-stand, it's there to clear the horizontal pipe).

Crash pics:

Broken belly pan:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yup, mine does. My Sharkskinz belly pan looks wider than yours. I didn't have to do any cutting like you did.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, mine does. My Sharkskinz belly pan looks wider than yours. I didn't have to do any cutting like you did.
Thanks greytuono. You said you had to trim a little bit. What was that about? Just curious, because the last two sets of plastics I used, I had to use my dremel quite a bit.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks greytuono. You said you had to trim a little bit. What was that about? Just curious, because the last two sets of plastics I used, I had to use my dremel quite a bit.
The race belly pan is designed to contain any leaking fluids. As such, there is a lip at the back of the pan near the rear tire that encloses the pan and it was a bit too high to clear the pipes as they transition from horizontal to vertical. Because of this, I had to take half an inch off there and trim off some near the swingarm under the chain (I have an '06 with the braced swingarm) and cut out a hole for the AxlJak water pump cover.

I think those carbon fiber bits look nice in the photo. I don't know how they would stand up to crashing however and I can only assume that replacing them if totaled would be really pricey. Have you seen the cost of carbon fiber body panels from Motowheels or OPP Racing? The nice thing about fiberglass bodywork is that to repair a hole, it will cost you $15 for the Bondo brand fiberglass repair kit, cost for various grades of sandpaper and some rattle can paint. Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here are some pics of my bike with Sharkskinz upper and lower fairings and an Armour Bodies tail. If you look under the left footpeg, you can see where the bellypan had to be trimmed to fit the swingarm. It originally had the upswept fin like on the right side near the midpipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks greytuono. I was looking at the CF fairings because I thought they were supposed to be stronger than fiberglass in theory. I think I will start looking for sharkskinz.

·
wishes it was summer
697 Posts
I had Catalyst Composite fairings on my 749R when I had a full 57mm Termi and I had no clearance issues. With the LV 57mm Ti exhaust I now have kevlar Sebimoto fairings and there also isn't any clearance issues.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i had on 03 749 with termi 54mm full exhaust and sharkskinz. had to trim the back of the bellypan to clear the exhaust. used a spacer to keep the bodywork off the horizontal pipe. no trimming needed for the water pump cover.

·
Registered
230 Posts
agreed on Catalyst Composite... no triming, i was told they were molded for up to 70mm exhaust.. fits right the first time. and less expensive than sharkskins. order them with the hardware and your good to go out of the box for about 750.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well I can now confirm that CRC does fit perfectly with the 57mm Termi exhaust. I got my exhaust in UPS tonight and slapped it on and no trimming needed.

BTW I took the bike down the road and the upper rpm range is way transformed with the new exhaust. Wow this thing pulls really hard now, actually wanted to power wheelie in 2nd which wasn't normal for this bike. I am pleased!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I can now confirm that CRC does fit perfectly with the 57mm Termi exhaust. I got my exhaust in UPS tonight and slapped it on and no trimming needed.

BTW I took the bike down the road and the upper rpm range is way transformed with the new exhaust. Wow this thing pulls really hard now, actually wanted to power wheelie in 2nd which wasn't normal for this bike. I am pleased!
cool. I want to see that on the track. are you doing any non-race track days soon?

·
Registered
103 Posts
cool. I want to see that on the track. are you doing any non-race track days soon?
Well we are planning to do a Putnam day towards the end of the season, I think it is the fall Kenny Baker(Cycle Options) event in Sep or Oct. We are also doing all 3 days at Jennings at x-mas like last year! I can't wait for that...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts