Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 1198s (slipper clutch and full termi) and I'm thinking of making it a dedicated track bike - which means that I'll be riding ONLY on the track.

Does anyone here ride the track ONLY?? And if anyone has a dedicated 1198 track bike, please post pictures and recommended "must do" modifications for the track.

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Depends on your pace. Start off by getting your suspension tuned by someone that knows what they're doing. Tires that are more oriented for the track are nice. As you get faster you will want to get the triples swapped out and a linear link for the rear.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what is X2?
Depends on your pace. Start off by getting your suspension tuned by someone that knows what they're doing. Tires that are more oriented for the track are nice. As you get faster you will want to get the triples swapped out and a linear link for the rear.
Thanks chris; that's what I was thinking.

has anyone changed sprokets at all? +1 in the front maybe to get more low rpm power?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi,
I have a 1098s that's a dedicated track bike. In my opinion the first thing to do is strip the bike of all unnecessary road gear I.e headlights, indicators etc. and fit race glass. Then, before anything else get your suspension setup by a professional, this is a must I believe. Track specific tyres are the next on my list. As you already have a slipper your pretty much ready to have fun.
The 1198s is a great bike and has more than enough go for most, excellent brakes and satisfactory suspension to start with. there are many any varied upgrades, but there is also no need to rush into them. My advise is to try and grow with the bike, and most of all have fun!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have a 1098S trackbike only. Here is what its got. Don't need this all,but its what I consider the ultimate 1098 trackbike
-Ducshop Blueprinted motor with "R" bearings and Pistal pistons(153hp)
-Termi W/Nemisis
-Slipper
-TTX rear shock with link and superbike Ohlin fork internals
-30mm front end offset triple tree
-Sharkskin bodywork
-Woodcraft rearsets
-ALL street stuff removed including fans.

·
Registered
279 Posts
+1 in the front maybe to get more low rpm power?
Gearing really depends on what tracks you intend to run and how fast you are going. With stock gearing,and the tracks I run I spend 80% a lap in 3rd and 4th. NEVER in 1st or 2nd(unless getting out on track).5th and 6th really just for the one staightaway. At one track, not even 6th.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
I do have a 1198S/1098 track bike both has similar set up. Having the proper set up will make it handle better. I don't mess around with the gearing or engine work but I do have 520 set up. The bike has more than enough power for any track. Suspension set up is very important, proper spring rate and correct ride height. You have to make the wheels stick to the ground this bike make a lot of power stock.

Slipper clutch is a must if you're not good at blipping the throttle.

Here is what I have.

Ohlins race internal for the forks
TTX shock with DK linkage
Nichols 30MM triple
Slipper clutch
Attack rearsets
Woodcraft clip ons
Carbon Lorraine race pads
Akrapovic slip on, servo motor removed flashed ecu

Suspension is # 1 on my list, 2nd tires

·
Registered
794 Posts
I only ride my bike at the track. Personally, I found that riding on the street was too dangerous and boring ( unless you are breaking the law ) after riding on the track. All my bikes were converted to track-only, and I am happy with that ( it makes the wife happier too!).

·
Registered
216 Posts
The only "must" do's are to protect yourself as in good riding gear. Find out if you like the track (which 99% do)

Good Helmet w/ear plugs
Full Leather Suit
Back Protector
Good Race Gloves
Good Race Boots

Next in order:

1.Tires DOT rubber as you get faster
2.Suspension set up and sprung for your weight, your tires will tell you what need to be done.
3.Race Glass/crash protection
4.All the other bling and suspension(offset triples) set up once you feel you are out riding the bike.......not likely. The extra stuff is nice if you have the extra coin but that stuff will be more rewarding if you can actually tell the difference. Then you will know what you like and dislike about set up.

and of course all the creature comforts when you are not in a session like a good chair, easy up etc.....

and repeat, repeat, repeat!

Have Fun!:D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice bikes!! it seems like the most important set up is suspension and glass/body work. I'm just hoping that there's someone at the track that can do suspension set up..
does anyone here ride only on the track??

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
nice bikes!! it seems like the most important set up is suspension and glass/body work. I'm just hoping that there's someone at the track that can do suspension set up..
I ride track only just like Duc995 mention it is boring on the street unless you're breaking the law. A Ducati superbike is not a good street bike anyways.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I only ride my bike at the track. Personally, I found that riding on the street was too dangerous and boring ( unless you are breaking the law ) after riding on the track. All my bikes were converted to track-only, and I am happy with that ( it makes the wife happier too!).
1+
Wish I would have wrote this:eek:

·
Registered
446 Posts
What @brettmess24 said.

If you want to get on track this weekend:
1 piece leathers, helmet, back & chest protector, gloves and boots. and a roll of blue painters tape. Unplug the head lights, tape over them, tape over the tail lights. Go ride

Next get the bike setup for you - usual stuff: springs for your weight, and then have the bike setup by somebody who knows what they are doing.

Next if you keep going swap out the street bodywork for race bodywork. This way you can alway go back to street riding if you want. Plus race bodywork is easier to fix (or not) or replace when you crash.

Wait on going to race rubber. Unless you are riding at a fast enough pace you won't keep the rubber warm enough to work. Plus, unless you live somewhere hot like Texas you're just making things harder on yourself. All of the highend street tires will do the job right up until you are in the mix with the really fast 'advanced' riders. You also get more track days out of them and don't have to worry about tire warmers.

It just occured to me that nobody has mentioned one important tool you are going to need: a trailer or pickup. How do you plan on getting your track dedicated bike to the track? Unless of course you go my route and start renting a garage at the track so you don't have to haul all your shit around.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What @brettmess24 said.
It just occured to me that nobody has mentioned one important tool you are going to need: a trailer or pickup. How do you plan on getting your track dedicated bike to the track? Unless of course you go my route and start renting a garage at the track so you don't have to haul all your shit around.
Yes, that's something I need to figure out... I don't feel like putting a hitch on my car, so I might just get a pick up truck or some SUV... I was also thinking about renting a car/truck until I find out which car I want to get.

Exactly the way I feel!!! I've been riding for years, but I feel like the street is just way to dangerous...

For you guys that ride only on the track, how far away do you live from the closest track? the closest track to me is about 2hrs away; a little annoying, but that's what you get in the north east...

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
You're in NJ you have 1 of the best track around 2 hours is nothing. New Hampshire track sucks but I have to make the best of it. Once a year I make the drive to NJ for a 2 days even I feel like I'm in haven. When I was in Southern California there are a few tracks to choose from. New England sucks!

·
Banned
523 Posts
Gearing really depends on what tracks you intend to run and how fast you are going. With stock gearing,and the tracks I run I spend 80% a lap in 3rd and 4th. NEVER in 1st or 2nd(unless getting out on track).5th and 6th really just for the one staightaway. At one track, not even 6th.
I wanna go the tracks that you go to...at my local track, I run 2nd gear about 65%, 3rd gear 30%, and 4th about 5% towards the end of the straight. Pretty twisty and relatively slow track, but VERY fun!

To the OP: I'm considering changing my 1198 to track-only, but I'm not ready yet to give up on street-riding and I don't have money now to buy another bike more suitable for the street (such as a monster 796). I agree with what has been said so far about track-prepping tips. 2 hours away is not that bad, there are plenty of guys that attend track days where I live who drive about 5 hours just to get to the track. I kind of lucked out because there is a track 1.5 hours east of me, another one also 1.5 hours but to the west, and another one about 2.5-3 hours south. :D The one to the west also happens to be in the town where my parents live so I get free food and housing every time I go there :D

·
Registered
279 Posts
I wanna go the tracks that you go to...at my local track, I run 2nd gear about 65%, 3rd gear 30%, and 4th about 5% towards the end of the straight
I've got two tracks within 2 hours of me that I do mostly. Jennings GP and Roabling Road. Daytona is an hour. My other "vacation" tracks, Road Atlanta 6 hours,VIR 9 hours,Barbor 7 hours.

·
Registered
444 Posts
depends on the day and organization. there might be a suspension guy, there might not be. i would go to ecs up in middletown, ny and get the basics set up. they know ducs and have tons of experience with the local tracks.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts