Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks!

I’m thinking of recording my track days for post-session analyzing and learning purpose.

What’s the forums experience about using cellphone, GoPro or cheaper no-name recorders?

I started looking into TrackAddict and racer render, which looks promising.

Thanks for the feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Don’t bother. Two reasons. You’ll be depressed when you how little throttle you use and unless you can interpret your date and know WHAT YOU ARE DOING WITH IT, it won’t benefit you. Best and easier to follow someone faster and learn. About the best you may learn is how CONSISTENT OR INCONSISTENT you are.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
After being very disappointed with Track Addict, I switched to an Aim AXL2 dash and Smarty Cam.

My issue with Track Addict was the spotty reception. Even with an auxiliary GPS receiver, sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. I also didn't like having to mess with my phone every time I went out for a session. My advice is don't bother with phone-based timers.

The Aim dash is loaded with hundreds of tracks, and it begins recording as soon as the bike is started. Likewise with the Smarty Cam. The camera records throttle position and brake pressure, which I've found to be very helpful. The camera has helped me to refine my lines and bike position. When I'm ready, I can start to analyze all of the data it captures. Right now though, the video and data imbedded in the video is enough for me. This is not a cheap system (check Bike Sport Developments). However, I've found it to be a very useful learning tool. I recently had one of the hot local racers take my bike out for a session. The video and data was eye opening! Very, very helpful. IMO, this is a very powerful learning tool.

The AIM Solo 2 lap timer is also very good. It has a lot of the benefits of the dash at a more manageable cost. Check out Moto D Racing.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Next track day for me I'm gonna try out one of these -> https://www.pzracing.it/en/project/desmotronic-de400/ with a just a GoPro mounted on the triple.

I've almost got a device that does the same thing with a RaspberryPI, GPS and some other cards.

I"m slow as shit but the best advice is to follow someone faster. It is kinda nice to watch back the video and see your lap times slowly go down.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I just used this for the first time on Labor Day and it worked perfectly on my 1198s. It only triggers the laptimer though, it doesn't record GPS data (at least as far as I know). I haven't pulled up the DDA data yet, but everything I've read supports that. fwiw

Next track day for me I'm gonna try out one of these -> https://www.pzracing.it/en/project/desmotronic-de400/ with a just a GoPro mounted on the triple.

I've almost got a device that does the same thing with a RaspberryPI, GPS and some other cards.

I"m slow as shit but the best advice is to follow someone faster. It is kinda nice to watch back the video and see your lap times slowly go down.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I just used this for the first time on Labor Day and it worked perfectly on my 1198s. It only triggers the laptimer though, it doesn't record GPS data (at least as far as I know). I haven't pulled up the DDA data yet, but everything I've read supports that. fwiw
That's exactly what I want. Where did you buy it from?

I've used a GoPro Hero Session 4 and that thing is just about perfect. Small and out of the way. Battery is OK. Just needed charged over the lunch break. I've got a Hero 7 but I've not used that on the track yet.

Here's one of my last times slowly around Mid Ohio with the session 4 at 1080p 30.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did some more digging and research and I think I have found a very capable alternative => Garmin garmin virb ultra 30!

Some track vid:

10min review:

Apparently it does all what I want: video/still pics, GPS, g force, tilt, picture stabilization and you can overlap all of that with their Garmin app/SW.

It also integrates Bluetooth, WiFi and ant+ sensors. Hence, if you get a Bluetooth obd2 adapter for your bike you will be able to include and overlap engine infos into the video summary.

Not essential, but I think it would be very cool that you can actually connect a ant+ heart rate sensor as a data source.

All that for $400!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
The AIM Solo 2 lap timer is also very good. It has a lot of the benefits of the dash at a more manageable cost. Check out Moto D Racing.
AIM Solo 2 is great. Can't reccommend it enough. Realy shows you where you are chickening out and just how slow you are getting on the gas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts