Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got access to some track fairings here in OZ.. Glass and pretty good quality..

But the thing is they don't do them for the SSie. They do make them for 748 - 998 or 749 - 999 and 1098 - 1198.

Has anyone fitted the 748 - 998 styles to their SSie? As they're for play use I don't mind trimming and cutting some.. Are there any hints or tricks?

Yes BTW I have seen the carbon set.. I've asked Mrs Claus for these.. but they won't be going on for the track.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
If you are willing to fabricate bracketry many fairings will fit. Choose from a bike about the same width as yours, with approximately the same handlebar opening and have at it.

Years ago I adapted a TZ250 front race fairing and TZ750 rear cowl to my 600 Pantah race bike. A bit of work, but it did the job.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a suplier for the SS track fairings in AU... only problem is they are well over $1000 + shipping on top of that..

There is a suplier in NZ that sells it for about half what i can get it in AU for, but they refuse to sell it to me because of the postage, even though postage and fairings are cheaper then just the fairing here in australia. Will keep pressing them. I am looking at doing the same thing. 999 or 1098 race fairing... hope it wont be to hard, will keep you posted.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Now all i need is a photo without the racewglass on it and showing the front mounts and ill have an idea to go on with! :) next few days off im going to get the 999 fairing off my other bike and mock it up on the SS and see what needs to be done! :)

And im sorry, but those sharkskin race tails look like shit.

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
If you want to put a 998 tail on it, I could take pictures of the brackets I made.

Takes me 10 minutes to swap between OEM tail and 998 tail (998 is CF mono, I need the normal for 2-up).

Tom

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you want to put a 998 tail on it, I could take pictures of the brackets I made.

Takes me 10 minutes to swap between OEM tail and 998 tail (998 is CF mono, I need the normal for 2-up).

Tom
Yes please. Photos of it on and off and of the brackets if possible. Thanks heaps! :) (might go with the 998 look yet! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Now all i need is a photo without the racewglass on it and showing the front mounts and ill have an idea to go on with! :) next few days off im going to get the 999 fairing off my other bike and mock it up on the SS and see what needs to be done! :)

And im sorry, but those sharkskin race tails look like shit.
I use the Yoyodyne Ducati 800/1000SS race fairing bracket for EITHER the Sharkskinz 800/1000SS race fairing OR the 749/999 fairing.

The 749/999 fairing is narrower; without replicating ductwork to cool the rear cylinder, conversion of the 800SS to dry clutch, and/or installation of a larger capacity oil cooler, we ran into severe overheating issues racing our Moto-ST 800SS at Daytona in 2008.

Tim
--
Herndon, VA

·
Registered
277 Posts
The bikes aren't mine. although I have a 750SS and 800SS that I've raced. The red one was raced in WERA the past two seasons. The white bike was raced in WERA year before this a few times before its owner quit racing to fly helicopters. Both bikes have had extensive work done by Duc Pond Motorsports in Winchester, VA. Donnie at Duc Pond has lots of experience with Duc SS bikes. The exhausts on both bikes were Duc Pond deals. ducpond.com Cool shop and cool people in the shop. They have a few MVs stashed away, too.

I'm not real keen on the Sharkskinz superbike tails, either, but they do crash well!

·
Registered
277 Posts
The 749/999 fairing is narrower; without replicating ductwork to cool the rear cylinder, conversion of the 800SS to dry clutch, and/or installation of a larger capacity oil cooler, we ran into severe overheating issues racing our Moto-ST 800SS at Daytona in 2008.
DucPond ran what looked like three-inch flexible accordian plastic tubing from the openings on the front fairing to the front and rear cylinders. Not quite sure how effective, but probably works as well if not better than the original duct work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
DucPond ran what looked like three-inch flexible accordian plastic tubing from the openings on the front fairing to the front and rear cylinders. Not quite sure how effective, but probably works as well if not better than the original duct work.

Yeah, Donnie sponsored my Screamin' Duc Racing team. He converted our 800SS to dry clutch after the Daytona debacle; and I ran ductwork similar to what you describe on out back-up bike.

Tim

·
Registered
157 Posts
I use the Yoyodyne Ducati 800/1000SS race fairing bracket for EITHER the Sharkskinz 800/1000SS race fairing OR the 749/999 fairing.
Seriously, it would be cheaper to buy a new 999 and a new 1000SS, take them home and cut them up then what it would cost for postage from yoyodyne and sharkskinz. They have some good products, but just are not interested in shipping anything to Australia. I wanted some plastic hose from yoyodyne and it was like $12 i think, but the postage was $40. Sharkskinz wanted nearly double the cost of the fairing just in postage.

I have a workshop full of tools to fabricate my own gear, so why pay pathetic shipping charges to a company that doenst care about international customers. Guess i will just make up my own... If they look good enough and work well, i will make up a jig and make some more for anyone who wants one... just waiting on some photographic ideas to be posted :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have a workshop full of tools to fabricate my own gear, so why pay pathetic shipping charges to a company that doenst care about international customers. Guess i will just make up my own... If they look good enough and work well, i will make up a jig and make some more for anyone who wants one... just waiting on some photographic ideas to be posted :)
That's the spirit! I ride pretty well, disassemble and assemble pretty well. But I don't have any fabbing or fixing skills beyond replacing parts. I end up spending the money :-(.

Best of luck with your shop work! That CAN be a great part of bike ownership.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Seriously, it would be cheaper to buy a new 999 and a new 1000SS, take them home and cut them up then what it would cost for postage from yoyodyne and sharkskinz. They have some good products, but just are not interested in shipping anything to Australia. I wanted some plastic hose from yoyodyne and it was like $12 i think, but the postage was $40. Sharkskinz wanted nearly double the cost of the fairing just in postage.

Ah, sorry, did not realize that. I'd be happy to post photos of the Yoyodyne fairing support if you would like me to. The other support brackets are fabricated with aluminum flat stock (3/4" by 1/8"); simple "Z" or "C" brackets.

Replacing the rear subframe with flat aluminum (heavier, 1" x 3/8", iirc) is equally easy, anyone with a hacksaw, vice, rubber or plastic mallet or even a 2-pound hammer and a drill can make one. I can take photos of our "A" bike's rear subframe - designed to fit the 749/999 tail section rather than the 800SS tail, if you want.

I plan to fabricate an aluminum tubing subframe this winter for a 748/916/996/998 tail section to replace the 999 piece' I don't particularly care for its looks with the SS bodywork; and I'm converting one of the Moto-ST bikes into a trackbike, so now I can "waste" time on making it look good as well as go fast!

Tim

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well, Kurt has already posted pictures of my bike so I don't have to which is a good thing as I don't know how. The brackets to hold the 999 bodywork on are just strips of aluminum to the stock mounting spots on the sides and just lined up with some bolt holes in the bottom and bent to shape. I do have a yoyo fairing stay bt that was just for the weight savings and the stock should work fine. The white bike has a ARC system while mine has a Custom Ducpond system that is close as the ARC was no longer available. I dont think that the SS superbike tail is great but I did like it better than the 999 tail. It sits very high and I thought about replacing with a 916 style tail over the winter as I like that look the best but decided to just lower the SS tail as that is the least expensive fix.
Good Luck

1 - 20 of 24 Posts