Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I went to NJMP Lightening course yesterday (Absolute ran the event, nice job). We were the only non-sport bike guys there, although quite a few Ducatis were present. Well the Hyper performed better than I anticipated. After the first session I decided to bring the bike to a suspension guy and have him measure the sag etc. The first thing he did was suggest that I take some slack out of the throttle, HUGE difference:) Then he added a little pre-load both front and back, again HUGE difference. The front was moving around in some of the corners, not too much but enough to notice. After the adjustments it seemed like a completely different bike, much more solid, it inspired confidence. It didn't notice too much change in the rear-end but then I'm not too good at sensing what is wrong just that something is wrong.

The Pirelli guy stopped by our pit area and looked at my rear tire, he suggested a little more dampening after assessing the wear pattern on the edge of the tire. After the next session the wear pattern was very different, it changed from areas of more and less wear to much more even wear. Again nothing that I felt but none the less an improvement. BTW, look for a replacement for the Corsa lll:)

The quick right-left combo was where we really excelled. Man that bike turns fast:). Anyway by the end of the day the Hyper was dialed-in much better than when I started ( I guess that's the point of this post).

The only difficult part of riding the Hyper on the track was during braking. Man those brakes are good but regardless of how hard I held on with my knees I couldn't stop from sliding up the tank. And trying to turn left on an off-camber/late apex turn when you are unsettled is not a good feeling. I compromised by slowing sooner and with more gradual brake pressure. I never touched the rear brake during the day.

I did take the advise that I read here to use 30/30 tire pressure and it seemed to work fine. After the first session it took a reading and it was 34/35. Not too sure how accurate that is because I waited a few minutes before checking the pressure. Next event I'll rent tire warmers, there was a noticeable difference in grip after the first lap or two. (BTW Happy Birthday Charlie).

·
Registered
327 Posts
My friend and I went to NJMP Lightening course yesterday (Absolute ran the event, nice job). We were the only non-sport bike guys there, although quite a few Ducatis were present. Well the Hyper performed better than I anticipated. After the first session I decided to bring the bike to a suspension guy and have him measure the sag etc. The first thing he did was suggest that I take some slack out of the throttle, HUGE difference:) Then he added a little pre-load both front and back, again HUGE difference. The front was moving around in some of the corners, not too much but enough to notice. After the adjustments it seemed like a completely different bike, much more solid, it inspired confidence. It didn't notice too much change in the rear-end but then I'm not too good at sensing what is wrong just that something is wrong.

The Pirelli guy stopped by our pit area and looked at my rear tire, he suggested a little more dampening after assessing the wear pattern on the edge of the tire. After the next session the wear pattern was very different, it changed from areas of more and less wear to much more even wear. Again nothing that I felt but none the less an improvement. BTW, look for a replacement for the Corsa lll:)

The quick right-left combo was where we really excelled. Man that bike turns fast:). Anyway by the end of the day the Hyper was dialed-in much better than when I started ( I guess that's the point of this post).

The only difficult part of riding the Hyper on the track was during braking. Man those brakes are good but regardless of how hard I held on with my knees I couldn't stop from sliding up the tank. And trying to turn left on an off-camber/late apex turn when you are unsettled is not a good feeling. I compromised by slowing sooner and with more gradual brake pressure. I never touched the rear brake during the day.

I did take the advise that I read here to use 30/30 tire pressure and it seemed to work fine. After the first session it took a reading and it was 34/35. Not too sure how accurate that is because I waited a few minutes before checking the pressure. Next event I'll rent tire warmers, there was a noticeable difference in grip after the first lap or two. (BTW Happy Birthday Charlie).
Funny, I was at Thunderbolt yesterday with Tony's Track Days. Nate Kern was there with the new BMW S1000RR. Very interesting motorcycle. A fast guy told me to use 29/29 cold. The Pirelli guy said that the successor to the DCIII should be ready for purchase by the end of the year. Hopefully, It's cheaper than the outgoing model!:confused: I bought the Hyper and my RC51 but rode the RC51 all day. As for sliding, try Tech Spec: http://www.techspec-usa.com/overview.html I have it on my RC and Hyper.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i think i was pitted a few spots down from you with my gold 1098. the track surface was definitely cold early in the morning. what group were you in?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
i think i was pitted a few spots down from you with my gold 1098. the track surface was definitely cold early in the morning. what group were you in?
I tried to do this day, but it was full for absolute. I was on the waiting list, but never got the opening. I ended up running pocono the day before instead.

It sounds like the wear pattern on the rear was rebound wear. Also, it sounds like you were gaining too much pressure. If you were gaining 5 lbs. a few minutes after reaching the paddock, you were likely over 8 while on the track. You will start to see similar tire degredation as the rebound wear that you saw. Basically, the tire will start to overheat and melt with too little air.

The DCIII is a great tire. I don't know why you'd want a replacement. I've tried many others and always come back to them. I use them in the advanced class on my track bike and then take them off to run on the hyper for the street.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Me or NYSport? If me, I was in yellow. I should have moved to blue when Tony asked me to. Oh well, I still had a blast!

·
Registered
327 Posts
The DCIII is a great tire. I don't know why you'd want a replacement. I've tried many others and always come back to them. I use them in the advanced class on my track bike and then take them off to run on the hyper for the street.
Freezer, I think he means Pirelli is introducing a successor to the DCIII tire- that's what the Pirelli tire rep told us. And I agree, the DCIII rock!

Are you coming to Lightning this weekend?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Freezer, what are good pressures for DCIII? I've seen/read anything from 32f/34r cold to 29f/29r cold.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
(BTW Happy Birthday Charlie).
THANKS!!

Glad you had a good time. Don't "rent" tire warmers. If you need some, you can borrow one of my sets.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Freezer, I think he means Pirelli is introducing a successor to the DCIII tire- that's what the Pirelli tire rep told us. And I agree, the DCIII rock!

Are you coming to Lightning this weekend?
ADHD you are correct. I love the DClll. But the Pirelli guy said they are moving away from the dual compound tire because of transition area wear patterns.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oops, i meant nysport. i was over on lightning with absolute.
I was in group 1. I don't have many track days and because I was riding a motard I was in group 1. However I did get a coach's bump to group 2. I declined the bump, group 2 had a number of red flags and was a little crowded.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I was in group 1. I don't have many track days and because I was riding a motard I was in group 1. However I did get a coach's bump to group 2. I declined the bump, group 2 had a number of red flags and was a little crowded.
congrats on the bump! good move on not riding with group 2 yesterday. seemed like they had the majority of crashes and it definitely looked bunched up in places. i think yesterday was just a weird day..

·
Registered
327 Posts
ADHD you are correct. I love the DClll. But the Pirelli guy said they are moving away from the dual compound tire because of transition area wear patterns.
Very interesting!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I'm glad you guys all had a Safe time. My experience with Absolute track days was anything but safe. If fact it was the most unsafe track event I ever attended period. I was buzzed and nearly hit by a rider coach, YES a rider coach. That same day My buddy who happend to be a ducati mechanic was in the expert group was chopped at the apex exiting the chicane went into a high speed low side and broke his foot clear in half. All this happend back in July and my buddy is still OUT of work due to this extreme injury. All I heard were folks complaining about the bad riding both at the track and the night before in the garage. I for one will never ever ride with absolute ever again.

I ran most of this season with Team Pro-Motion and they were awesome, fun, and safe. I will do many more track days with TMP in the future.

Just so you guys know I am not blowing smoke please read this link. Apparenlty Absolute sunk to all time low at a track weekend held at NJMP this past August. One guy even called it Wreckfest!!!!!

http://www.absolutecycle.com/FORUM/forum_posts.asp?TID=625&PID=2574

It a shame the madness continues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts