Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike worked great. Fast, amazing brakes and very stable at speed. Heat shield sucks. I will have something fabricated asap. Rode 2hrs to track, rode for two track days and them home two hrs. Not many bikes you could do that with and not be in some serious pain. This bike rocks!

·
Registered
315 Posts
so hows was willows was it hella hot? looked good out there what group ya running? who was the provider? ptt?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so hows was willows was it hella hot? looked good out there what group ya running? who was the provider? ptt?
It was hot! Drank about twenty water bottles between both days! This was my first time back on the track in over twenty years! Ran advanced the second day after I worked off the cobwebs ;)

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
Very cool pics... and while some are envious of those with a SF, there are still those of us who are envious of someone who can put it through the paces at the track. Bravo!

btw, what sort of reaction/comments did you get from other riders?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I am willing to bet that the SF is a better track bike than a overall street bike. My SF sucks around town due to the low rpm problems. This totally sucks for me since I bought the SF for the street and I already have a track only bike a 848. Believe it or not I rode my 848 last year on the street and it was a better street bike than the SF since it does not have any low rpm issues that my SF does. My 848 purrs like a kitten in low rpm. Sorry for my rant, it's nice to see someone having a ball at the track on their SF.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Very cool pics... and while some are envious of those with a SF, there are still those of us who are envious of someone who can put it through the paces at the track. Bravo!

btw, what sort of reaction/comments did you get from other riders?
That's funny you asked about reaction. Some of the younger sportbike guys gave me looks like, "oh look at the naked bike guy." After they saw I could ride it people started coming over and looking at it. Everyone loved the bike! A lot of people commented on how great it sounded when I passed them! :)

·
3,234 Posts
I guess it keeps coming down to the sum of the components is what is going to determine how well the bike will sort out. For the money, one more time... $20,000, you would think that top shelf components would be deployed on top of the line bikes. If Competition Systems has full time wide band sensing with an ecu that allows for expansion to full track duty, why do we fight with "b stock" ecu systems that are junk from go or maybe way off, to be nicely put.

Regardless of Euro3 tuning, is the business model set up for selling "race only" parts in order to get a street bike "street-able"? I give high marks to the 3rd Parties that put a lot of time into offering us solutions to get it right. I guess the question Ducati should be asking themselves is, "Does this grow the brand?". I don't think so. I believe when you talk shop with inquiring minds about the Duc and what you sometimes have to do to smooth out the problems inherent in the stock bike; you discourage prospective owners. The brand doesn't grow. The myth is not dispelled. Many will not want to go through the process. They expect things to be right for the money they lay out. Don't get me wrong, I'm a willing participant in the process. I know the end result will be worth it. But maintaining a closed mind to owners wanting solutions, not canned responses of "we care what you think, but cannot point you in the right direction". Yes, the remap was helpful. A sort of admittance of guilt or responsibility. I for one ride every day. I don't put the bike on a pedestal and I will not put the manufacturer on one either.

If there is an inherent flaw with the big twin and Euro3. Then Ducati should make it possible for "after the sale" fixes that do not jeopardize the legality of maintaining good standing with the Earth First crowd. If they cannot allow jailbreaking the ecu, then maybe each bike should come with 2 ecu's. The stock one that is shipped with the bike and the DP ECU that is put in the bike before it rolls out for its' first ride. The original ECU can serve as a paper weight and only because it cannot be flushed down the sh*tter.

PS I still love the bike. It's a funny relationship that's not about to end over a little drinking (fueling) problem. :)

·
3,234 Posts
That's funny you asked about reaction. Some of the younger sportbike guys gave me looks like, "oh look at the naked bike guy." After they saw I could ride it people started coming over and looking at it. Everyone loved the bike! A lot of people commented on how great it sounded when I past them! :)
I especially like the part about "when I passed them" !!!

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
I guess it keeps coming down to the sum of the components is what is going to determine how well the bike will sort out. For the money, one more time... $20,000, you would think that top shelf components would be deployed on top of the line bikes. If Competition Systems has full time wide band sensing with an ecu that allows for expansion to full track duty, why do we fight with "b stock" ecu systems that are junk from go or maybe way off, to be nicely put.

Regardless of Euro3 tuning, is the business model set up for selling "race only" parts in order to get a street bike "street-able"? I give high marks to the 3rd Parties that put a lot of time into offering us solutions to get it right. I guess the question Ducati should be asking themselves is, "Does this grow the brand?". I don't think so. I believe when you talk shop with inquiring minds about the Duc and what you sometimes have to do to smooth out the problems inherent in the stock bike; you discourage prospective owners. The brand doesn't grow. The myth is not dispelled. Many will not want to go through the process. They expect things to be right for the money they lay out. Don't get me wrong, I'm a willing participant in the process. I know the end result will be worth it. But maintaining a closed mind to owners wanting solutions, not canned responses of "we care what you think, but cannot point you in the right direction". Yes, the remap was helpful. A sort of admittance of guilt or responsibility. I for one ride every day. I don't put the bike on a pedestal and I will not put the manufacturer on one either.

If there is an inherent flaw with the big twin and Euro3. Then Ducati should make it possible for "after the sale" fixes that do not jeopardize the legality of maintaining good standing with the Earth First crowd. If they cannot allow jailbreaking the ecu, then maybe each bike should come with 2 ecu's. The stock one that is shipped with the bike and the DP ECU that is put in the bike before it rolls out for its' first ride. The original ECU can serve as a paper weight and only because it cannot be flushed down the sh*tter.

PS I still love the bike. It's a funny relationship that's not about to end over a little drinking (fueling) problem. :)
Well said Bill, I just hope someone comes up with a Solid fix for our SF. It's such a shame that Ducati would sell something like this with such an issue. Sorry for the thread jack.

·
3,234 Posts
I should apologize as well...

back to the track day... How did it work out being in open air? Any buffeting to deal with on the straights?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Ahh it looks so funny with the lights taped up :D

seriously though bad ass and I'm more then a little jealous, owell around the time the 2011 model comes out I should be back from deployment and riding my shiny new toy. I'm just hoping they put the 1198 in it next year.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I should apologize as well...

back to the track day... How did it work out being in open air? Any buffeting to deal with on the straights?
It was hot as hell so the air felt great! On the straights I was tucked down low so it wasn't bad until I sat up to brake but even that was not bad.

Jestor00 - Thanks man, good luck. You won't be disappointed!

·
Registered
188 Posts
That's funny you asked about reaction. Some of the younger sportbike guys gave me looks like, "oh look at the naked bike guy." After they saw I could ride it people started coming over and looking at it. Everyone loved the bike! A lot of people commented on how great it sounded when I passed them! :)

"Priceless" on the comments. Seems you showed them and had a great time. Love the pics.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts