Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took some time to convince myself to attend track day with my modified Paul Smart, mostly fearing a "crash" and the costs involved with it in this economic crisis. Sooooooo, off I went and bought some new tires (Dragon Supercorsa Pro) so that I wud be more sticky on the tarmac :D
This was my fourth track day event but have always ridden my 1098, hence my curiosity on how the Paul Smart wud perform :think:
Executive summary: Whhhooooooooohaaaaaaa :eek:. This was the most fun I ever had, especially as the track was short and twisty!!! Cornering is a "piece of cake" compared to the 1098, and the engine modification gave the bike the additional "push" it needed.
The Paul Smart handles great, is feather-weight, stable and the only problem was to find the right riding position in the curves...took about 5 laps or so to fine tune and I was hanging off the bike confidently. The tires helped out naturally [or mentally] :p.
Bottomline: Take your PS to the track as it is a blast!!

P.S. I rode it with the fairing on, and be aware that you will scratch the very lower side of it...:mad:

·
Registered
154 Posts
It took some time to convince myself to attend track day with my modified Paul Smart, mostly fearing a "crash" and the costs involved with it in this economic crisis. Sooooooo, off I went and bought some new tires (Dragon Supercorsa Pro) so that I wud be more sticky on the tarmac :D
This was my fourth track day event but have always ridden my 1098, hence my curiosity on how the Paul Smart wud perform :think:
Executive summary: Whhhooooooooohaaaaaaa :eek:. This was the most fun I ever had, especially as the track was short and twisty!!! Cornering is a "piece of cake" compared to the 1098, and the engine modification gave the bike the additional "push" it needed.
The Paul Smart handles great, is feather-weight, stable and the only problem was to find the right riding position in the curves...took about 5 laps or so to fine tune and I was hanging off the bike confidently. The tires helped out naturally [or mentally] :p.
Bottomline: Take your PS to the track as it is a blast!!

P.S. I rode it with the fairing on, and be aware that you will scratch the very lower side of it...:mad:
Sounds incredible -- I'm dying to do this with mine. My lower fairings are gone anyway, so no problem there.

What engine mods have you done? The only problem I'm having with my bike is that the engine is VERY testy under 3.8-4k RPM and doesn't behave well at all at low speeds; I think it needs a slight tuneup and tweak of the idle settings. It has the full Termi 2 into 1 with no baffles.

I'm also running the stock tires, which I can't stand. I need to splurge on a new set; probably a set of Diablo Supercorsas or Power Pilots.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
What engine mods have you done? The only problem I'm having with my bike is that the engine is VERY testy under 3.8-4k RPM and doesn't behave well at all at low speeds; I think it needs a slight tuneup and tweak of the idle settings. It has the full Termi 2 into 1 with no baffles.
I hope you're sitting down when he lists his mods!!!!

I'm not surprised he's having fun on the track, it's where that bike belongs.:cool:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Great Timing!

Just signed-up for my first track day in July with my Paul Smart. I have actually been going through a little of that - what if I wreck my beloved steed? (Not worried about the skin.) Having no alternate, I actually contemplated picking up a used GSX-R 750 for the outing. It would be cheaper to not go of course, but what fun would that be? Great tip on the fairings, as I was thinking about that too. While I don't imagine, it being my first time out, and never dragging a knee ever, that I will get enough lean angle to scrape, but no need to risk it. I will be pulling the fairings for the day.

I just switched to a 14-41 set-up a few weeks back, and while I love the lower gearing for the around town riding I was wondering if it will hurt me at the track? I am not concerned about top speed I will lose.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NJ-DUC: Dont worry about top speed as the bike in stock engine mode is enuff for the track I believe...unless u want to become a "racer"??? :eek:

Davemcqueen: Hmmmm...I dont think I can top your goodies listed there :think:

Localmotion411: Engine mods are racing cams from Ducati, port&polishing (local mechanic), FBF piston kit...ahhh and the Alpina wheels, and STM slipper clutch and....and..... :rolleyes:

I forgot to mention that the slipper clutch and the alpina wheels (though not very light but look awsome!!!) certainly will increase your performance on the track. Also, during track day you inevitably become faster with each session or lap...so its up to you where you want to slow down a bit or stop! In my case, I stopped 40 mins before the day ended as a) I was getting tired, b) was driving faster and faster c) had a blast and didnt want to spoil the day!! :)
But as Davemcqueen said, this bike really is a blast at the track.

·
Registered
281 Posts

+1 I scratched mine at Willow Springs as well. s

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I spent a lot of time and $$$ getting my classic set up for the track and it is a blast to ride.

The group of guys I ride with all 'upgraded' their bikes this past year so I followed suit so I could still dice it up with the group, picked up a 999S. And while I make my way around the track faster and hang with the group, I had more fun riding the classic.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I got mine out on the new Bluegrass Motorsports Park track a few weeks ago which has a 3,600 ft. straight. When I got the PS up to 119mph (GPS speedo reading) the front fairing was vibrating like crazy. Other than that, I handled in a superb fashion. Looking forward to getting it out on this track again after they officially open.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts