Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about doing a track day coming up soon. The only question....do I need tires? I have about 4700 miles on the Michelin Pilot Powers that came on my 07 S4RS. I do a fair amount of commuting, so the center is getting pretty flat but the edges are still pretty meaty. I've only done one track day on these tires and a decent amount of Southern Ohio rides (some decent twisties). I'm no ricky racer so I probably won't be going crazy fast unless I have some amazing breakthrough in my riding. Do I need tires or can I get one more track day out of these tires? I wiped them down with a wet paper towel for better contrast. You can see that the center is down to the wear bars.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
the side wear bars look good, I am sure you will fine. If you find the bike sliding alot, time to get new tires!:D

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
They look okay to me. The track will even out the wear. ;)

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a pretty laid back track day, did it last year. My brother's tires were worse and he passed tech last year.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just remember to air down the tire's psi, recommended by 'the tire guy' at the track, and always take the first couple of laps slowly getting more aggressive after every lap.
Yeah, I usually go with some good people, one guy that used to race so he always helps me out with that kind of stuff.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would get new tires. Your bike will handle much better. The profile is shot on those tires and ruin your day. Why spend the money on a track day with bad tires? That's like dating your sister.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Will the flat spot make a big difference with getting the bike leaned over into the turn quickly? I'm sure it will, but enough to ruin my day?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
What better way to break in a new set than on the track? Treat yourself, you deserve it.:)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes, plus once over the transition of going over the "squared off" portion of the tire, you will have to make corrections to the pressure on the bars to stay online. Hard to be loose on the bars when you're always correcting for bad profile.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I agree with all of the above.

Get a set of new tyres for the day. Otherwise you risk clapping out your tyres half way through the day (that means less fun for you).

Cheers,
Russ

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Aaaaallllllllright, I guess I'll bite the bullet and get tires. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
735 Posts
track day tire question

How did you get those tires so shiny? My tires don't have that shine to them.

Fred

·
Registered
135 Posts
How did you get those tires so shiny? My tires don't have that shine to them.

Fred
Like he said, wiped them down w/a wet paper towel.

To the OP: Are you going to Mid-Ohio? I'm originally from Cinci and always wanted to ride that track. Now that Bluegrass is open it almost makes me want to move back. Almost.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, I wish. Going to Nelson Ledges. I swear I'm going to do a track day at Mid Ohio this year though, that's a badass track.

·
Registered
13 Posts
With your tire contact-patch already at the size of a bar of soap, why would you make the problem worse by running old, and most likely, now very hard tires at a track day?

At 4700 miles, you have several...nay...dozens of heat-cycles in the tires which degrades the coeficient of static friction (stickiness, if you will). Also, it has been mentioned above, you have a very large flat spot in the middle of both tires which is obvious from the pictures. The profile of the tire is now inconsistent which will result in very "un-Ducati-like" tip-in corner performance.

You've got an excellent motorcycle with a superb engine / suspension package. Why risk all that $ on crap tires to ride on your dream track?

Spend $400 and do the track day the right way.

Get new tires.

HORNETDRIVER

1 - 20 of 25 Posts