Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Might very well be wrong forum, but I thought I'd ask...

Plan on attending a track day this weekend on my SS. Current tire is a Dunlop Qualifier with two track days on it, and maybe 100 street miles give or take. Tire is in great shape, with the exception of some cold tearing evident on the rear tire. The track has a series of left handers than can be taken wide open (on an SS anyway :)) which resulted in that condition.

At any rate, I have some brand new BT016's I can spoon on, or I can ride the Dunlops. I've never riden brand spanking new tires at the track before. Should I decide to run the BT's, how concerned should I be with their extreme newness?

Or, should I just run the Dunlops?

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
If the tire is in great shape, then you should have no problems. You don't say what group you ride in, but I'm guessing not the advanced group based on your lack of experience scrubbing in new tires. There is nothing to be worried about with new tires. It will just take 3-4 laps to scrub off the mould release compound and you will be fine.

In summary, I would use the tires you have on the bike if you are a beginner or intermediate track day rider and would tend to switch them if you are advanced.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool! Yup, I'm very much a noob. My third track day. I was asked to move to intermediate which of course has given me a big head, but that only changes the speed of those around me. I'm still a noob with a LOT to learn.:)

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it weren't for the cold tearing, the tires look about perfect. I'm pretty sure that this will be the end of them this week, at least for track duty. A light bike with low HP is pretty easy on the 'ol skins!:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts