Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use some help/advice for some gear. I'm looking for stuff that primarily works well on the street and day tour type activity. I have no plans to get too involved track-wise but i would like gear that would suffice for doing that on occasion. Are there very spcific requirements typically for track days etc? I am considering Field Sheer Mercury over pants and Alpinestars SMX boots. If there is a definitive guide out there let me know. Thanks for any advice. George M.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
If your visiting the track, you need a full set of leathers, gloves and boots. 2 piece suits need to zip together so when you crash, the seam between the two pieces doesn't fall apart. You also need a full-face helmet with visor that can be closed.

Usually leather isn't the best thing to wear when touring. I actually much prefer lighter materials when going on long trips. I bought a nice alpinestars dry star suit for traveling purposes. Normally when touring you want something water proof and that breathes to keep you cool. These suits don't work on the track, they're not designed for high-speed crashes. If you have a leather jacket already, adding a set of pants is what you'll have to do for the track and then for touring, buying something lighter weight. Its very hard to get 1 set of gear that works for both purposes, unless you're OK with wearing leathers all the time. After buying that dry star suit, I won't go back to leathers on the street, that thing is so comfortable and has lots of protection built-in.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
101 Posts
Generally speaking for track days a one piece or two piece leather suit that zips together is what is usually required. Depending on who may be running the track day, a textile suit such as an Aerostitch is also acceptable. I've seen guys running two piece textile suits as well in my area so I think that you will be fine as long as whatever you get for pants can zip into a jacket. I think the A-stars SMX boots will be just fine too as long as they cover your ankles - I've seen some guys wear workboots and no one had a problem with it. If you have any questions about going out onto the track, you should contact your local track day organization.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gear

thanks for the replies. I think i will focus on street gear at least where jacket and pants are concerned. It turns out the group here in Albuquerque rents leathers pretty resonably and i certainly need good breathability for the street here in the summer. I'll pick up some closeout leahters down the road i get hooked on the track days. -George M.

·
Premium Member
1,403 Posts
You may want to check to see if the track day will allow you to wear an Aerostitch Roadcrafter. The Roadcrafter is a single best piece of street gear that you will ever purchase and is accepted at many track day events and schools.
If not take a look around on the WERA site, seems like there are some smokin deals on used leathers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts