Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting some body work for track days for my 996. I have been looking on ebay and seen a lot from china and hong kong.

Has anyone here bought one of these sets? If you did buy a set how much work did you have to do to get the body work to fit right?

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I must admit I have not. I had Catalyst Composite bodywork for my 999 made in the good ole USA and it was fantastic. Based upon other threads I've read, the old adage "you get what you pay for" is the over riding theme. More money = better quality (fit/fitting, finish, etc)

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
I'm on the same page as my fellow compatriot above...

Some report the chinese stuff is not 1/2 bad once you paint it. Others say its complete garbage and likewise should never be purchased by anyone in there right mind. With other products like Sharkskinz and Hot Bodies, the varied opinion is substantially reduced. I think everyone agree's, sharkskinz makes the best non-carbon fiber ones around.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
516 Posts
wow tye im impressed that might be the most mature post ive ever read of yours, good job

it will be fine as long as you dont crash.......and you will........then youll buy the good stuff....just save yourself the money buy the good stuff first

·
Registered
797 Posts
I must admit I have not. I had Catalyst Composite bodywork for my 999 made in the good ole USA and it was fantastic. Based upon other threads I've read, the old adage "you get what you pay for" is the over riding theme. More money = better quality (fit/fitting, finish, etc)
+1 for Catalyst Composite's they stand behind their products and quality, they did with me for my 999S street bodywork with the AMA legal lower section. Also is super lightweight and strong. Nice stuff!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am looking at getting some body work for track days for my 996. I have been looking on ebay and seen a lot from china and hong kong.

Has anyone here bought one of these sets? If you did buy a set how much work did you have to do to get the body work to fit right?

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
I have a set and it looks so good that i use them as my street set. I had about 1 hour of work modifing the holes to line up but u dont see it anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
^^^ Can you post a picture of the headlight bucket.....from the front? Thanks

·
Registered
857 Posts
Don't do it! I bought two cheap sets before I started looking for sharkskinz. The cheap stuff just breaks at slightest low-sides.. my story. My cheap fairings ($200 + $300) became useless after one crash per set. I wish I got the skinz to begin with. If you're going to the track, crashing is inevitable. Skip a trackday and get the right skinz instead.

Sharkskinz or CRC is the way to go.

my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
While I am still an advocate for the good stuff on my Ducs; CRC on 999S and DP on Paul Smart. I ran two different sets of the cheap Ebay stuff on my SV650 this season and both sets survived 2 and 3 wrecks respectively. It definitely wasn't the nicest stuff in the world, but it wasnt as bad as some make it out to be. The actual wrecks have a lot to do with the extent of damage also. All of mine were lowsides and all were with frame sliders that took the brunt of the blow.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Don't do it! I bought two cheap sets before I started looking for sharkskinz. The cheap stuff just breaks at slightest low-sides.. my story. My cheap fairings ($200 + $300) became useless after one crash per set. I wish I got the skinz to begin with. If you're going to the track, crashing is inevitable. Skip a trackday and get the right skinz instead.

Sharkskinz or CRC is the way to go.

my 2 cents :)
I agree 100% with you... I have high sided and low sided. The shark skins held up great and tough as nails.
I will NEVER buy anything but their products.
If it's for a track bike, yeah... ur gonna bin it. Get the sharkskins

·
Registered
331 Posts
Do you need a fluid retaining lower, or just a set of race fairings? If you do not need a the fluid retaining lower, I have a set of Sharkskins that I would be willing to sell. Upper, both sides and a tail....all pre-painted (though in red) that I would sell for $550 plus shipping. PM me if interested and I can get you a few pictures.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a set and it looks so good that i use them as my street set. I had about 1 hour of work modifing the holes to line up but u dont see it anyway.
Where did you get the set?

I am looking more for the track day stuff without holes for the lights.

Thanks to all the other posters as well for the info I appreciate it.

Sucks being a newbie :confused:

Cheers

·
Registered
797 Posts
Where did you get the set?

I am looking more for the track day stuff without holes for the lights.

Thanks to all the other posters as well for the info I appreciate it.

Sucks being a newbie :confused:

Cheers
Nah, it does not suck, just remember that you get what you pay for, buy junk you get junk. Be patient you will will some used stuff out there, or buy quality stuff. Most U.S.A. manufacturers are decent stuff, but expect to be in the $500.00 range for new. And put in into proper context, you drop you bike at the track with OEM stuff on, one panel will cost the same as complete race stuff

·
Registered
167 Posts
While were on the topic of who has what, I have a want ad for 749/999 race fairings in the classifieds section. If anyone reading this thread has something that is in decent shape and "reasonably" priced, PM me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts