Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

Looking for some decent track bodywork for the occasional track day.
Sharkskinz is going to cost me 1K$, which is a bit spendy.

Any other decent options which cost a bit less ?
Maybe through a site sponsor ?

Thanks,

Yves

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'll tell you from my own experience in racing that it will be worth your while to get the expensive stuff. I know that Sharkskinz bodywork crashes great - it can survive multiple crashes in many cases and is easy to repair. When I was racing with cheaper bodywork it usually got completely destroyed and I would just end up having to buy another set. It really comes down to the choice of spending $1000 once or spending $500 multiple times.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
All,

Looking for some decent track bodywork for the occasional track day.
Sharkskinz is going to cost me 1K$, which is a bit spendy.

Any other decent options which cost a bit less ?
Maybe through a site sponsor ?

Thanks,

Yves
I've got a full set of painted Catalyst Composite (upper/lower/tail/ fairing stay/all fasteners/windshield) off of my 999 which is for sale for pickup at $400. Some nose damage from a fall off the wall hangar in the garage which needs a nose repaint. It is currently included WITH my bike for sale but if someone doesn't come up with cash SOON then I WILL sell separately at above price for local pickup. It's way to big to ship affordably/easily. 10 hour round trip for ya. :) PM if need further info.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=65947

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Hey Mad, your forsale link donna work! :(

Umm, in terms of fairings. There are two methods to protecting your bike; The simple one where you don't think your gonna crash and the more complex one, where you KNOW your gonna crash and protect your bike adequately.

I recently had a small 80mph low side onto pavement and my 749R looked like someone threw some dirt on the fairing and mashed it in with there palm. Basically a few light scratches and only my rear set peg fell off (which its designed to do). The Sharkskinz still look like new, but what saved the bike was the behind the fairing frame sliders.

Moral of the story, sure... the fairings make a big difference, but things like frame sliders and wheel sliders (front back) are what will keep your bike from self destructing. Go ahead and buy cheap fairings (hot bodies), but call up SpeedyMoto and pick up a set of behind-fairing frame sliders and you'll be in pretty good shape. The difference between sharkskinz and everyone else is the fitment, aerodynamics are better and rebuild-ability is substantially better.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
230 Posts
Catalyst Composit.... less expensive than sharkskin.. crash well.. great fit and finish.. took me 20 minutes to scuff mine last set before painting.... fit up perfect.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
My opinion is that if you are racing, and there is a strong likelihood that you will crash, go with the stuff that will survive multiple crashes...Sharkskinz.

If you are planning on doing an occasional track day and just want some cheap fairing insurance, I don't see any problems with buying something cheaper. If you can find a used set that has already been painted, that will be your best bet. Plus, if they were mounted on a bike of the same model year, the mounting holes will already be drilled and the bodywork should fit right up, negating the need for you to experience that hassle.

I waited and waited for a used set of track plastics, but no one was selling at the time. I bought a new set of Armour Bodies, and found fitment to be less than perfect, but certainly good enough. Wouldn't you know it, at least two sets of bodywork came up for sale on the classifieds here after I bought new...:rolleyes:.

I had a minor low side at the track in May, and the Armour Bodies held up fine. To be fair, the axle sliders, bar end sliders, and clutch cover kept most of the bodywork off the pavement.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just received my bodywork for my 1098. I went with Hotbodies trying to save a little money. They are $450.00 shipped from one of the track day websites. How does the saying go.... you get what you pay for??? I'm not too impressed with the level of finish or the fitment. It took me 4 hours just to mount the tail section, and I know what I'm doing. I spent a good amount of time with the dremel tool making slots for the tail pan and trimming to get the tail section to fit correctly with the side tank fairings.

The front fairings look a little better but there are quite a few areas that need some serious sanding.... the mounting points in particular. I'll tackle the upper and lower tomorrow after work.

Sharkskins are the way to go if you don't want to mess around... I've heard good things about Catalyst and Armour Bodies but don't have personal experience with them.

I spent almost 2k repairing my bike last year after a 30mph lowside at a trackday... so no matter what race bodywork option you choose you'll likely save in the long run.

·
Registered
230 Posts
seriously .. Catalyst Composite!

i think it was 750 shiped with the lower drilled with hardware. bolt right up in a few minutes.. very little prep to get it ready for paint.. crash well.

plus they were SUPER nice and helpful!

also they fit large exhausts.. mines a 57 and no clearance issues or burning thru cause its touching or any stuff like that.

what more could you ask for?? :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts