Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting new plastics for my 749R track bike and am looking for ideas for a paint scheme.

I was going to go black (tank included) with the red frame but I feel like going a bit more unusual with it.

Open to ideas if you have seen a cool paint scheme recently link it up!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was a reverse Fila/Xerox scheme a couple days ago... looked pretty cool.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=67140&highlight=Reverse

Warhawk, of course I couldn't find the picture.. I've been looking for it for a while now. It was on a 748 though.
Very sweet looking bike. BUT, I'm thinking of moving away from the Ducati branded schemes. I want something a little understated and a little unique. I just need something to spark my creative juices!

·
Registered
572 Posts
- Gulf ?
- Martini ?
- Redbull?
- John Player Special?
- Playboy?
- Silk Cut (As Jaguar XJR9)
- Total white, with red number plate and red "ducati 749r" on the fairing in an oem style. In fact, that's a reverse oem paintscheme.

·
Registered
98 Posts
race paint (I mean vinyl)

I did a design with vinyl; that way I can peal off later and do something new or go back to the OEM look.
Taped up a design on the bike then took measurements to input into an Illustrator file. Downloaded the line art of the bike in Illustrator and then drew the design in one to one scale for output onto viynl.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Those graphics make you look tiny :)

I did a design with vinyl; that way I can peal off later and do something new or go back to the OEM look.
Taped up a design on the bike then took measurements to input into an Illustrator file. Downloaded the line art of the bike in Illustrator and then drew the design in one to one scale for output onto viynl.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It's not the graphics it's the blue PJ's

·
Registered
619 Posts
+1 for vinyl over paint

Full wraps are really cool, cheaper than paint, and they just peel right off if you want to change it. Same way they wrap huge ads on vehicles and whatnot. Its a vinyl, but you use a heat gun to get it to stretch so you don't have bubbles that you get with usual cut vinyl decals.

There's a bunch of places like this that offer them, but this is my fav:
http://www.trackwraps.com/wraps.htm

There's a guy around town here that did the ACU digital camo on an R6. Thats really what turned me on to the wraps, because it looked so good. I've been meaning to try their carbon fiber wrap on my 1098 bellypan.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Me, too.

Too main stream, perhaps?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They all look good......and I may still go all black if I can't think of anything a little unusual....agian, IM not looking for real flashy.....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bike looks good.

Which track dod you ride? I did 2 2 day stints at thunderbolt since June 15th. Good times!

·
Registered
230 Posts
vynil is a great way to go. however if you want big changes it it is better to do a base paint scheme IMO and then use vinyl to spice it up. on the 999/749 bodywork it is hard to lay large fields of vinyl down perfectly because of the organic and rounded nature of the shapes. i personally LOVE the 749/999 design. it is unique and there is no mistaking it for a jap bike like the 1098/1198/848 design. NO OFFENSE to those owners.

a good way to do it i think it out is to do some photoshopping. it lets you suss out your ideas ahead of time with out major headaches.

Speedy Moto designed my 2008 and 2009 paint schemes.

my 2008 idea was to not have to paint the tank but still have something a little different.

then for 2009 we decided to paint the tank as well.

2008 mock up..

base paint

finished

2009 mock up

details of base paint, yes it changed from the mock up this time.. it just flowed better IMO

more details

i dont have any good pics of the bike finished... and yes i threw the dunlop sticker on at the last minutes before a race... its not strait, buts its taken care of!

here you can kinda see the top of the tank and tail section..
i have a matching fender that mimics the tank stripe, just didnt have time to throw it on yet.

it can be alot of fun getting something just for you. my advice it take your time and work it out, it will be worth it! also be prepared to make changes from your ideas , when you get it mocked up in the flesh sometimes the lines of the bike make your mind up for you. hopefully you arent trying to do it in a week before a race! :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts