Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Panigale alternative for occasional track use?

• Monster 1200R

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the absence of a Panigale, would you choose to track a Monster 1200R or a Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak as an occasional track bike?

Attachments

·
Bon Vivant
11,303 Posts
Both would probably perform equally well on the track but are not an optimum choice for track only duty. If the bike needs to be a good street bike as well as track I'd make the choice based on what you need for the street. The Multi will have more varied uses and be more practical but the Monster will be more fun for recreational street use if practicality isn't a necessity.

Edit: OK, that was rather blind of me. I see that you already have both bikes. I say take them both a decide which you like better. I used to take my 1098R and my streetfighter to the track and swap back and forth. The funny thing was my times were always the same no matter what bike I rode - the limiting factor was always the rider.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I say take them both a decide which you like better.
Absolutely. I intend to.
Just thinking this would make an interesting poll to get various opinions from the guys here.
Cheers.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Both would probably perform equally well on the track but are not an optimum choice for track only duty. If the bike needs to be a good street bike as well as track I'd make the choice based on what you need for the street. The Multi will have more varied uses and be more practical but the Monster will be more fun for recreational street use if practicality isn't a necessity.

Edit: OK, that was rather blind of me. I see that you already have both bikes. I say take them both a decide which you like better. I used to take my 1098R and my streetfighter to the track and swap back and forth. The funny thing was my times were always the same no matter what bike I rode - the limiting factor was always the rider.

^ what he said. My thoughts exactly.

2004 Ducati ST4s ABS “Senna”
2002 Yamaha FZ1
1998 Ducati ST2 apocalypse edition

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I would also consider which one will you get the most pissed off about crashing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would think the Monster would be more fun on the track . I haven’t tracked either but really didn’t like the handling of my 796 and my Multi is and S not the Pikes Peak .

Guess which track would make a difference too .

·
Registered
404 Posts
Tell us about the track. How high speed is it?

The thing about big nekkid bikes at high speed tracks is that you're spent after a day of trying to hold on and being a human parachute in the wind.

So if it's a high speed track, the choice might be the Multi after you stiffen up the suspension to keep it stable at high speeds. there's more to tuck behind on that bike. If it's a tighter, lower speed track I think I would enjoy the Monster more. The bike has a lower center of gravity and is easier to throw around.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Tell us about the track. How high speed is it?

The thing about big nekkid bikes at high speed tracks is that you're spent after a day of trying to hold on and being a human parachute in the wind.

So if it's a high speed track, the choice might be the Multi after you stiffen up the suspension to keep it stable at high speeds. there's more to tuck behind on that bike. If it's a tighter, lower speed track I think I would enjoy the Monster more. The bike has a lower center of gravity and is easier to throw around.
Haha yes. Last track day I did was on my 03 Tuono at Willow Springs. The self titled "Fastest road in the west". It just had a small windscreen. I found 130 mph was about my limit with the wind blast, although the bike had more left.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
The Multi touches down pretty quickly. Also, there aren't any good options for raising up the footpegs. For the PPIHC race, the team cobbled together some Rizoma parts to help get a little more clearance, but even that isn't enough. Carlin Dunne's boots were toast by the end of the race. I love my Multi and its fun to hustle on the street, but I wouldn't want to track it. I don't have any experience with the Monster, but I would imagine it has better clearance and better options for rearsets.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts