Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm struggling with a decision and am looking for some input regarding a track bike purchase. At this point, I've 2 choices that I'm considering and they are polar opposites.

The 1st bike is a beautiful race prepped 2004 1000SS. Immaculate, well set up, well maintained. It's more than I wanted to spend on my budget, but I might be able to get that price down to the ballpark.

The other bike is a 2005 race prepped CBR 1000RR. Immaculate also, well maintained, tons of quality upgrades (Vortex rear sets, woodcraft clip ons and cases, frame sliders, Penske rear shock, power commander). The Honda also comes with spare rims with rains mounted, front and rear stands, tire warmers, spare parts and original street parts. It's several hundred under my budget. I wanted something with more motor than my current 2V but I don't know if I want that much motor. I owned an FJ 1200 back in the day, but that is still light years from the CBR.

My heart wants to go with the 1000ss, but my head is telling me I should consider the Honda simply because I would get a bike and equipment to last me a long time. Plus once I'm on the track with it, I might not care what brand is on the tank anymore. I tracked my 944CR a few times last year and came away wishing I had a little more motor.

I would sure appreciate some input on this...

Regards,

Jeff

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
I'd get the SS. I've tracked my 1997 SS/SP for 6 years now and I love it. 320 lbs with 1/2 tank of gas, turns on a dime, stops now, very easy to work on. Runs out of steam on long straights, but will easily keep up with 600s up to 6th gear. I'm not racing, so I don't care who passes me on the straights. The SS is just plain fun :yeah:!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really appreciate the feed back and I've been going back and forth over this. The price of each is now almost equal, so money isn't as big a driver.

I've been thinking that I might get the most benefit from doing track days on a bike that has similar handling characteristics and power delivery as my street Duc. The race Duc would be lighter and have a little more power of course, but I wouldn't feel like I had to learn a whole new style of riding when I get on the track 3-4 times a year. Plus I know how to work on it and already have quite a few parts that could swap back and forth. I am wondering if a big I-4 would feel a little overwhelming, especially for a newer track rider like me.

At this point I'm leaning towards getting the 1000ss and building a little harem of Ducati's...

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Others know better than me, but I have heard that the 1000SS has potential issues with the valve guides. As you say the bike's race prepped, so doubtless this has been addressed, but I'd just ask to make sure.

Seriously considered a 1000SS for exactly your purpose, but decided on the 999s when I happened on one that had my name on it. The 1000SS is a special machine, though. I was in Japan last year, on Koyasan, and was deep in thought on a professional issue, when all of a sudden I heard a tale-tell sound. I turned around, and sure enough, a silver 1000SS came around the corner, a cute couple in Bates leathers having the time of their lives. Cool.

Ron

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
inline-4?

I did a track day on my MV Agusta F4 1000s a few years ago at Miller. Scared the crap out of me (back tire wanting to spin coming out of corners). I did a track day a few weeks later on the same track with my 1997 SS/SP. FUN!. I sold the MV and converted my SS into a track-only bike. I haven't missed the MV (except for looking at :eek:). Compared to the Ducati, it was a bitch to work on too.

·
Registered
603 Posts
IMHO the 1000SS will be much more fun to ride. I have a video to prove that you don't need lots of horsepower to go fast. At Roebling Rd, Savannah (a high speed power track) I loaned my GoPro to Rick from Cogent Dynamics. He was riding in the intermediate group. He passed everyone, even the R1's, Gixxers, CBR's and a new Beemer 1000. The Beemer would just burn by him on the straight, Rick passed him every time half way through the tight stuff only to be passed again on the straight, again and again. This was all on his wife's 750SSIE.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
its hard to do but be as honest as you can with your experience level now. I wouldn't buy something to 'grow into' - take it one step at a time. I get often shamed by exracers on sv650 that I would swear could not go that fast. There is a lot to be said for less power on the track: less speed, focus on the riding skill, more fun to feel like you're wringing a bikes neck vs. hardly approaching its potential. To each his own, but for track day fun, I think often less power can be a good thing. (by the way SV650's can be had very cheap and easy to upgrade suspension etc)

·
Registered
105 Posts
As someone else mentioned a Japanese 600 would be a great track bike.

OF your choices though I would go with the CBR mostly due to honda's reliability.

You can have fun with the 1000 as long as you have some self control and take it easy until you get to learn it a bit better.

Variety is the spice of life. Get something other than a Ducati since you already own one.

(PS 600RR / 1098 owner here)

·
Registered
279 Posts
IMHO the 1000SS will be much more fun to ride. I have a video to prove that you don't need lots of horsepower to go fast. At Roebling Rd, Savannah (a high speed power track) I loaned my GoPro to Rick from Cogent Dynamics. He was riding in the intermediate group. He passed everyone, even the R1's, Gixxers, CBR's and a new Beemer 1000. The Beemer would just burn by him on the straight, Rick passed him every time half way through the tight stuff only to be passed again on the straight, again and again. This was all on his wife's 750SSIE.
Sounds like Rick needs to move up to expert then:D

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I've considered every one of these ideas over the last few days. Even though the opinions vary, I guess it takes some of the pressure off me trying to figure out the exact right answer. They're all good answers. My point is to have fun with this bike, so I shouldn't agonize over it.

I like the idea of wringing the bikes neck and focusing on skill over taming big horsepower. I've been riding a long time but have only done 1 track school and another track day. My instructor said I was OK to move into intermediate, but it seemed like that group was going really fast and I got intimidated. Maybe that's a sign that I need to focus on my technique with a bike that I know I can manage.

I've looked at several SV650's, and I know that can be ridden very quickly (one blew by me at the track) but I think those bikes are ugly as hell. I know it's just a track bike, but I enjoy looking at them too...

I'm going to look at the Duc and Godzilla next week. I think at this point I'll focus on which feels more comfortable ergonomically and which appears to have been cared for the best. Maybe one of them will grab me more than the other. I do love the sound of a v-twin and the clutch rattle has it's own weird charisma too...

Thanks again for everyone's input!

Regards,

Jeff

·
Registered
603 Posts
Sounds like Rick needs to move up to expert then:D
He is in the red group Bill , but rides in most of the other groups too as Control Rider/Coach.

·
Señor Member
1,466 Posts
Ive done a few track days now with the Multi. While it is huge fun, and I am increasing my skills, 150 BHP is a LOT on the track while trying to learn.

I'm working on a dedicated track day bike fund with a sorted SV650 as the goal. maybe by fall when folks are done racing for the year and I can get something that is relatively cheap and already track prepped for the most part. I figure something cheap that has already been prepped will sell for close to what it costs to buy and will cost a lot less even if I wad it up than it would if I have a minor tip over on the current $20k track whore :).

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
If money wasn't (always) an issue, I'd get the Ducati. Many personal reasons why.

Since money is always an issue, I'd seriously look at the 600cc Japanese bikes. As mentioned, you can get them salvaged in good condition (mechanically). Usually for less than a set of (factory) Ducati body panels. Crash it big? Leave it in the track's dumpster, forget about it, and go get another.

I'd RATHER track a(ny) Duc but it's hard enough to keep the three I have on the street!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I'm struggling with a decision and am looking for some input regarding a track bike purchase. At this point, I've 2 choices that I'm considering and they are polar opposites.

The 1st bike is a beautiful race prepped 2004 1000SS. Immaculate, well set up, well maintained. It's more than I wanted to spend on my budget, but I might be able to get that price down to the ballpark.

The other bike is a 2005 race prepped CBR 1000RR.

I would sure appreciate some input on this...

Regards,

Jeff
Well, there are very few tracks that you can really let a I4-1K fully run. So, if the tracks your run have long straights and high-speed turns - then get the CBR.

If the tracks you ride are more technical and have shorter straights, go with the 1000ss.

If you absolutely cannot handle getting passed on the straights, get the CBR. If you like being different and enjoy the sound, look and feel of the Ducati, go with the SS.

In the end, the only thing that really matters is the bike that will make you happy at the end of the day. Anyone can go slow on a fast bike, very few can go fast on a slow bike.

I enjoy every moment of my session on the 944ss. Ugliest bike on the track but it makes me grin.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
as above-

1 - 20 of 29 Posts