Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A. I keep staring at my 170 rear in a 1999 750 (785)ss on a 5.5 rim..(a 750 has a narrower case) and swear to myself there will not be chain clearance for a DOT 180. A few.. about 1-1.5 cm to spare? wanna try the Bridge bt-003s.

B. Do I need tire warmers? Want a hard rear and med front for track day (several) durability. I have bt-014s street tires now and am on my 4th or 5th day on them. Still lots of tread but look a little "melted"?

regards to all.

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
Track Tires

Well you are riding in Novice Group? I rode N group five times before moving up to "I" group and never used tire warmers. I feel that I need to warm myself and my bike and tires up.
I now run Power Race tires and they warm up just fine without tire warmers. Save your money for things your bikes needs more on the track like suspension, as for tire size bigger is better if you have the horsepower to turn the tire.

IMO.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
A) I know for a fact that Michelin 180's will fit without a clearance problem.

B) Skip the tire warmers for now as was said by curveman. Tire warmers are really only for the 1st lap of a race, you shouldn't be hitting the track at 100% on your first lap at ANY track day. I see guys at track days using tire warmers and just find it a bit silly... for racing absolutely.

For tires I would suggest using a soft front with a medium/soft rear or a soft rear during cooler weather/track temps. The SS750 (785) is a low HP bike and relatively light so it doesn't tend to eat tires too fast.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...but

Thanks for all the replies from everyone. Maybe I will stick with the 170 rears (street) for now. Tires were the last in the equation. Suspension? Done long ago by Speedwerks. Penske, grafted 996 front, springs, valves et al. Wheels? check. Not stock, Carrozerria. Lemme see..other bits? Check. Flywheel, filter, custom map, blah blah. I really do not want to race, but thought about doing it next year... just ride "I" group. I just have to finally strip the street stuff off to shave more weight. Still ride street once in a blue moon. Didn't figure I would need warmers, if i went DOT. Just trying to constantly improve.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts