Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About 1.5 months ago I bought a Demo 07 GT1000 with 650 miles on clock. Sunday the wife and I put 135 miles on the bike ran like a champ. That evening I stopped by car wash washed the bottom side and wheels off wiped bike down then on the way home filled up the tank.. Monday morning the bike starts but runs like crap. Figrured water in the tank I flushed the tank no differance, then I bypassed the fuel filter, no differance. I checked all connections looked good. I then cleaned the tps connection plugged back in bike ran some but like crap. I then unplugged and was able to ride down the street not good but it did run. I took to dealer this morning they hooked up and said no signal form TPS and the tps has to be bought with the throttle bodly. $2500 Geez glad I had a full two year warranty. I got to talking to the head tech,,,,,,,,told him my vacation started saturday. He had to put this same set up on a st4 our another bike awhile back cost was $2300 then. He looked up tps for the GT and the tps can be bought by it's self now $230. Also my luggage rack had showed up yesturday evening. They go back to get it for me and pull it out of the box and something from another box dearing shipping had got on it chrome was flaking rusting etc what a bitch looked like acid had got on it. So while I was there they got on the phone with Ducati and put a rush order on everything........also my clutch switch was not working and my front valve cover gasket was leaking. Glad it did not do all this while on vacation..... But looks like the yamaha Roadstar old dependable will be doing vacation duty again. Unless they can get the GT fixed up by saturday which I doubt.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
When it rains it pours! All that really sucks. Thanks for sharing that the TPS can be purchased separately- not that you ever want to. I also got the rack & several chrome items for my GT, and while it's chrome- it's not good chrome. Recently picked up my modded rear rack from a local plating shop and was shocked at how noticeably better the chrome looked. I'll be posting some pics soon.

At least your dealer sees the problem and is working to help, that's worth something.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Recently picked up my modded rear rack from a local plating shop and was shocked at how noticeably better the chrome looked. I'll be posting some pics soon.
How much did it run you to replate your modded rack?

Modded Rack...... sounds like plastic surgery for bikes!!! :D

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
How much did it run you to replate your modded rack?

Modded Rack...... sounds like plastic surgery for bikes!!! :D

It was $10 to strip the old chrome & $100 to re-chrome (+2 for enviro. fees). I don't want to post pics until I'm done, but I'm really pleased. (tease, tease...)

·
Registered
503 Posts
the TPS played up on my bike too.....got wet....8 days of warranty left...all fixed by Ducati no cost...including new plugs.

Cheers Roger

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I was once told by an English/Italian that the Italian chrome is poor because of low voltage in the Italian electrical supply. Is this true?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I was once told by an English/Italian that the Italian chrome is poor because of low voltage in the Italian electrical supply. Is this true?
Nope, pure idiocy. Household current in Italy is 220v, just like Great Britain - exactly double what we have, and we manage to make decent chrome.

AC is very easily converted to higher or lower voltages at the site. They can convert their current to whatever voltage is needed just as easily as we can.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Nope, pure idiocy. Household current in Italy is 220v, just like Great Britain - exactly double what we have, and we manage to make decent chrome.

AC is very easily converted to higher or lower voltages at the site. They can convert their current to whatever voltage is needed just as easily as we can.
OT: Hey, Major! Did you get to the bottom of the headshake on your GT?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Roggt1000

When I pulled the tps plug you could see on the plug side there was some green on the black plastic.................So water had been in there before the tps is suppose to be water proof. I also noticed the green rubber washer used to keep water out had been pushed in with one of the three sealer tips bent over. When I get this bike back I am going to use dialectric grease on this area. And also if I ever need to spray the bike this area keep the pressure low. even if water can't get around connectors in the tps. It is electrical and must short things out. The Duc tech said water in the plug its self will make the bike act real goofy. But my tps had no signal coming out open. This 07 was just bought as a demo and has 2 years warranty left.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'm glad they sorted that out for you. Be advised that if you plan to remove your TPS to use the dialectric grease, that you will probably need to have your TPS reset. The simple act of unplugging it or changing the wiring apparently breaks some reference point in the ECU. And I don't personally understand how that happens- it's so stated in the shop manual and was confirmed by my local shop. I recently had to change out my wiring and had the TPS reset as reccomended. The tech said my sensor was only .01 degree out, so I didn't notice anything weird. However, he also said he'd seen sensors out as much as 7 degrees. It just takes a couple of keystrokes if you've got the equipment.

How long is the "rush" shipment from Italy going to take for your rack?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The release for the rack is not a rush...............they are out. There just trying to find one some where. Ducati where not releasing them tell June 1st. I ordered mine May 4th it shows up june 24th destroyed eat all up by acid our something.....................It sure looks like for some reason I am not suppose to go on this bike trip.............Seems everthing that can happen is happening. Heck even saturday when we are suppose to leave is going to be 99 degree's heat factor probably 115-120 degrees. Got to get ahold of the dealer to see what Duc told them yesturday. I was really wanting to take it to colorado next week.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well just talked to the dealer

The tps and new clutch switch and a new luggage rack are sent and on there way. But the dealer said it will take some luck to get it by tomorrow. Even on the emergency ship. Ups are who ever don't ship on saturdays and the dealer is closed sunday and monday. So Tuesday is probably when the bike will be done. By then I should be in estus park colorado..

·
Registered
503 Posts
Where exactly is the TPS located?

Will spraying WD40 or similar around this area help. :think:

I have just fitted the chrome from guard and it's shorter than the plastic one....so more road spray will get on the motor....it maybe just a coincidence that I had trouble the first time it rained with the shorter guard....

Cheers

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I'm not sure why some TPS units are more susceptable to moisture, but I can tell you I have ridden through SEVERAL torrential downpours, without so much as a hiccup or sputter, despite open air box (top and drilled out bottom) and open belt covers. Same with the regulators. Some fail, some don't. Luck of the draw I suppose. I got the wheelie prone bike that keeps ticking I guess. :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would not spray wd 40.

It is hard for me to believe you can not unplug tps with out having to reset it. If this is true then maybe smear some grease around the top of plug to keep water out. I am going to put some grease around plug before I bring it home from the dealer incase there is any truth to the tps reset. I will ask dealer about it these guys at Hall's cycle head Tech Brian seems to be up on this stuff. Matter of fact I asked him about the tps when I called up there. And he told me to unplug and make sure no water was in the connection. I did and no water but did see some green corrosion on the plug surface. Maybe unplugging while running would do something..............don't think so. We will find out next week I suppose. I about got the Roadstar ready for the trip today. Any of you guys up by estes park colorado. Loaded the gps tonight for a map up that way. Is it still cold up there thanks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got the gt1000 back to night

Now that is some service. Even got the newer luggage rack. The head tech was gone when I got to the dealer 100 miles away. But I asked another Tech while I was there about unplugging the tps. He said as long as the bike is not runing everything should be good to go. Anyway I spent the last two days getting the roadstar ready for the trip. But just got done changing things around. I just left the GT in the back of the truck. And loaded more gear etc. I am heading from st.louis area to colorado springs climbing pikes peak then heading over to estes park. Tan colored chevy pickup with green-gray GT in the back..............IL plates.

·
Registered
152 Posts
My TPS went at 7500mi. It happened during a rainstorm. I would recommend applying sealant around the wires to keep the sensor free of moisture.

·
Registered
714 Posts
where is this plug located?having a lot of problems with loose connecters all over my bike,none of the plugs were not clicked into each other so good.poor preperation I guess.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts