Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to track down a problem on my bike and decided to fully test the TPS in hopes that it was causing the problem. I know that it is basically a potentiometer and it drawn as one in the manual:

The ECU puts +5V on A (Bn/G wire) and B (Bk/V wire) is the common. Then the signal is read by the ECU on C (orange wire). Of course as the throttle is twisted the voltage on C will change linearly on a PF2C TPS.

At first I started by just measuring the resistance. If this were just a basic potentiometer the resistance between A and B (Rab) would be a constant and the resistance between C and A (Rac) and B and C (Rbc) would be changing as the throttled is turned (one would be increasing and the other would be decreasing by the same amount). So Rac + Rbc would always equal Rab.

However this is not how it worked on this TPS. The resistance between A and B was 1.21k and remained constant while turning the throttle, as expected. The resistance from C (sensor signal) to B (common) started at 1.27k and increased linearly to 2.71k at full throttle. Then the resistance from C (sensor signal) to A (+5V) started at 2.32k at closed throttle and increased to 2.7k at about 1/3 throttle then decreased to 1.79k at full throttle. So obviously this doesn't work like a standard potentiometer.

I put the connector back on the TPS and removed the ECU connector and placed +5V across A and B and then read the C wire and it varied from aroound 0.3V at closed throttled to about 4V at full throttle.

It IAWDiag and JPDiag the ECU seems to be getting a good (linear) reading from the TPS as well. The only issue I have is that I will reset it and it will be at 2.6 and then I will open/close the throttle several times and it might read 2.4..so I reset again and it goes to 2.6, then operated the throttled and it might end up at 2.8. So it seems to vary around 0.2%, but I assume this is not significant and typical behavior?

·
Premium Member
93 900ss,2019 Triumph 1200XE, 2017 CRF250L RALLY, 2003 F650GS DAKAR, 1993 KLR250, 1986 HONDA TLR20
299 Posts
Your TPS is a voltage divider. Now I am not a ducati expert here but I can tell you most ECU' are not only looking for position but rate of change. Think of the rate of change as an accelerator pump.
If there is a tiny bad spot on the wiper inside the sensor it can cause a stumble. The only way to really pin it out is with an oscilloscope as it happens to fast to pick up on a volt meter.
I am speaking in general terms and not specific to ducati but most systems work like this.
the below is a bad tps wiper note the time frame that could manifest as a stumble on acceleration.

JD

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, a potentiometer is basically a varying voltage divider, but oddly the measured resistance didn't seem to indicate that. The impedance from the wiper to one end did not vary linearly as a normal potentiometer would. And the resistance from the wiper to each end didn't sum to the total resistance. That is what I found odd.

I have fairly nice Tektronix digital scope, so I will try to measure with that. Great suggestion. Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did this test several times doing it quickly (~200ms from closed to full throttle) and slow (>2 seconds) and both times the response, which was from about 0.3V to just over 4V, looked perfect.

·
Premium Member
93 900ss,2019 Triumph 1200XE, 2017 CRF250L RALLY, 2003 F650GS DAKAR, 1993 KLR250, 1986 HONDA TLR20
299 Posts
Looks like that is not your issue although there might be one other thing using the scope check it at the ecu end all 3 wires and wiggle the connector look for any signal change If you have a bad connector it should show up. If that proves ok I would start looking elsewhere for what ever the problem is.

Reactions: lemmy999
1 - 5 of 5 Posts