Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I just got back from a five month deployment to Afghanistan and tried to take my Sport1000 out for a ride today. The bike was on a battery tender, and on paddock stands for the time I was away, so the electrical system was good and the tires were fine, albeit a touch low on air pressure. The issue that I have is that the bike will not idle. It was very rough getting started and only two times out of thirty or so would the bike actually idle on its own. I was thinking that this might be an issue of bad/old gas being in the tank (there was only about a miles worth in there) and that the problem would clear up after a short ride. Well, it didn't. I met a friend of mine who has a auto repair shop and we put a little fuel injector cleaner in as well and went out riding for about 50 miles to run the cleaner through by still no change; the bike simply won't idle on its own and dies as soon as you come off the gas. Everything else seems to be working just fine on it and I was wondering if somehow the TPS lost it's setting after being dormant for so long. Any thoughts?

·
Official Retired Person
7,408 Posts
I would not suspect the TPS. That just doesn't change on it's own. Run a couple of tanks of gas thru before you do anything else. The varnish left when modern fuels evaporate can be quite difficult to dissolve and may require some time. Ride it like you stole it for a while and then go looking for problems but 5 months sitting is a long time without any prior preparation.

Just my $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Seafoam

Mix about 6 ounces of Seafoam additive to a tankful of gas and when it is gone, your problem will be also. It is available at most auto parts stores. Trust me, it really works.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. There was a bit of prep done to the bike before I left. There was a little less than a quarter tank of fuel left in the tank itself, and I also put in the proper amount of stabil before I left. The one other thing that might have complicated issues is that the tank was replaced under warranty about a month after I left, a friend took the bike down to the dealer, and I am not sure what fuel/stabil/mixture was put back in after the tank went back on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts