Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a Throttle Position Sensor for my 2014 Monster 1200. My Indy shop says the dealers will only sell the whole throttle body assembly for way too much money. Does anyone have a part number or cross reference what other bikes might use the sale part? I am having a hard time coming up with the info. Found one on flea bay that says it fits Monster 620 750 1000 S4R 2002 as well as Monster 1200S, but no mention of the base model. Sent a question to the seller on it, but hope someone can direct me to a new instead of used part. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This should be covered by Ducati because it is a common part needing replacing due to failure. I had it happen on my 14 1200s as well and got it covered even after I was a bit out of warranty period

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm told by another ebay seller, It appears your bike uses a "fly-by-wire" throttle valve motor with integrated TPS.

I guess it is inside the airbox? :confused:

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
it's inside the airbox. given it's an electronic throttle body i would think it's not as easy as just replacing the tps. but pop the airbox open and see what's in there.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Bike is in the shop. Problem is Ducati wants over $2600 for this thing, which is complete BS.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ordered a slightly used one from ebay for $72 delivered. Hopefully that does the job. Hello Ducati! What's up with the insane pricing?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Indy shop replaced the throttle body assembly, did some other maint work and told me it was running fine, but I would have to go to a dealer to reset the check engine light. I called a dealer, says it should reset itself in about 50 miles.

Picked up the bike and as soon as I got onto a main road found it had lousy throttle response, and would not rev past 4,000 RPM's even with wide open throttle. Back to shop. Tried changing riding modes and it says close throttle. Throttle is already closed. Same crap as before. So, they will consult with dealer and dig deeper. :(

I have been using this shop for over 10 years and have a good level of confidence in them. But, if someone has seen this movie before and knows the fix, we would love to hear it.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's like one of those slow motion bad dreams.
Sell a couple bikes, cough up a few grand more, and ride home on the bike of my (good) dreams. A Monster. >:)

Three months later it pops a CEL and spends almost 2 months in shop with them trying to sort the intermittent electronic voodoo errors in the ride by wire system. Would start and idle fine, but run "soggy" and not rev past 4k RPMs. :crying:

Finally today the shop calls and says it has been working right consistently, starting it and running it for a bit, then trying again later. Whereas before it was hit or miss. Come get it, ride it, time will tell for sure.

The tech guy says in addition to replacing the TPS and throttle body assembly they disconnected the wire from ECU to throttle. Reconnect and relearn process for the ECU. I guess they ran it on the dyno for that. They say there was a wire pulled tight on its route, apparently from the factory. It may have pulled loose from it's connection. They took care of that.

Going to collect it tomorrow, along with the replaced parts. Crossing fingers, toes, eyes! It will take some time to trust the thing again. I hope that happens without more issues. Meanwhile there seem to be ants in my pants! :laugh:

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picked it up today and now it is running like a Monster should. Braaaap!
Put on just over 100 miles. Wee hah! >:)

Now I gotta work Saturday to make up for playing hooky today, Friday.

The old TPS / throttle body assembly is in the garage. Once I get to look it over will post up what there is to see. For the price Ducati asks it should have diamonds in it, but I don't guess that will be the case.

Very happy to have it back home. :x

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here is the throttle body assembly from Ebay. It was opened up up by the mechanic, thus the loose bolts etc. I'm guessing the metal box with 6 wires labeled Mikuni is the part that went bad. It must have an electric motor in there. Connects to the adjacent butterfly and the rod connects to the other one. Does not appear to be all that complicated.

I hate to throw it out but see little reason to keep it around. Will at least save the air filter. I wonder if Ducati includes that for the $2611.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Looking at Ducati Omaha some more. Air filter you see pulled most of the way out in pic 1 is a $31 piece. I will keep it. Not clear, but looks like maybe the throttle body assembly is just the metal parts, not including the wires and hoses, or the plastic air box. So maybe the e bay seller sent me more than just the throttle body.

Monster 1200 my14 usa en by Ducati Omaha - Issuu

No complaint, it works. >:)

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
that's a complete airbox.

the silver unit is the throttle body motor, which opens the throttles as directed by the ecu and which will have the tps inside it. probably more than 1 for the sake of redundancy and accuracy.

that's why you can't buy a tps for it. it doesn't have a bolt on one like the previous models.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, yes. And the wire harness, hose, and fuel injectors are all there and look to have their own part numbers. I am looking at page 78 at the link I attached. The injectors are $354 each. Crazy. I will just keep this stuff for insurance I guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts