Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question:

Which is better? The Duc Shop version, or TPO Beast R.

My setup will be:
-Cams ECU (208B)
-Motocreations Boom tube exhaust (loud) baffles. http://www.motocreations.com/exhausts.asp
-Best velocity stack intake pods
-PC-V

I know the Duc Shop comes with evrything and is cheaper. Performance wise does the Beast-R provide more/ better airflow?

I read somewhere that the "R" increases the air by 18%. I plan to use my Cams ECU which increases the fuel by 18%. I realize the fuel still needs to be trimmed and perhaps a PC is in order however, I don't want to buy the DUC Shop and find out it is equal to the regular Beast and the "R" would've been a better match.

So can anyone confirm with numbers/size/experience? Is the Duc Shop another standard, Beast sized intake?

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Any comments on this ? As I am very curious about this as well.
F-
All I know is that exhaust will be extremely loud. The TPO seem to be general purpose and the Duc Shop ones seem to be designed for the Hyper. The -R version will give better top end but will apparently do nothing for the low end. It depends on your goals. You'll have to ask Duc Shop about their stacks. I'm not associated with either brand of course.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would go with DucShops version. My experience is that they are better made. When I had my hyper I compared Mark's stacks to TPO's and it looked better. But to be honest I couldnt really feel much difference, both bikes had the same mods.

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
All I know is that exhaust will be extremely loud. The TPO seem to be general purpose and the Duc Shop ones seem to be designed for the Hyper. The -R version will give better top end but will apparently do nothing for the low end. It depends on your goals. You'll have to ask Duc Shop about their stacks. I'm not associated with either brand of course.
I haven't seen any side to side dyno comparisons of the two. The Beast R has bigger pod filters, is more expensive and does not include coil mounting brackets. I have the Beast R, experienced gains across the RPM range compared to stock airbox, DP lid, and BMC filter. Duc Shop stacks were not available at the time I picked up the Beast R. Don't think you can go wrong with either.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'm waiting for my Ducshop kit to show up. Nice people to deal with and they apparently sold a lot of these. Neither kit includes a coil mount bracket, which would be nice. The Ducshop kit does include the idle air and crank vent filters where the TPO does not. The Wasp kit has a very nice bracket, wonder if he would sell that separate?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I did a back to back when a Hyper came with the TPO Beast's, we were installing DP cams, 100mm Pistal's and Mapping. I saw the TPO's were shorter which typicaly makes the power at peak RPM which seamed to hold true here.
Run 14 is TPO and 21 is the Ducshop stacks
If you add up the HP at every 100 rpm they total up very close, we just wanted the power at and before peak instead of holding on to HP on over rev. Playing with cam timming would have an effect also.
The second graph shows my Hyper with a DP ecu and 2 into 1 Termi, stock airbox with DP lid (run 2) and after Ducshop stack kit (run 11), so you can see either stack kit is going to gain you 6HP or so and is the best bang for the buck mod for a Hyper or SSport Classic which have the restrictive airboxes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
had both but on separate bikes dont think there is much difference u definitely wont be able to tell no matter what the dyno says....hp actually is more with duc shops pods when my bike was dynoed with cam ecu,full exhaust,and pc,it wasnt much diff but there was.theres also alot of conditions like humidity,temp,etc..that could of mad that result.moral of story just get the duc shops they are cheaper and same quality.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I did a back to back when a Hyper came with the TPO Beast's, we were installing DP cams, 100mm Pistal's and Mapping. I saw the TPO's were shorter which typicaly makes the power at peak RPM which seamed to hold true here.
If you add up the HP at every 100 rpm they total up very close, we just wanted the power at and before peak instead of holding on to HP on over rev. Playing with cam timming would have an effect also.
The second graph shows my Hyper with a DP ecu and 2 into 1 Termi, stock airbox with DP lid (run 2) and after Ducshop stack kit (run 11), so you can see either stack kit is going to gain you 6HP or so and is the best bang for the buck mod for a Hyper or SSport Classic which have the restrictive airboxes.
Were the TPO's on the Hyper the regular Beasts or the Beast "R"
that were tested against yours? Thanx Alex

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
No, not on this bike. Is a street bike so made the pistons 11.25:1 to run on pump gas, no porting or big valaves, just DP cams, Termi 2ino1 and the stacks.
Mark, while we're on this subject... do i need premium gas w/ these pistons, midgrade,regular? bringing her in tomorrow for wheel/tire exchange... see you then.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I would always run Premiun if you can, we retarded the ignition on yours some to compensate. See you soon.
Mark, while we're on this subject... do i need premium gas w/ these pistons, midgrade,regular? bringing her in tomorrow for wheel/tire exchange... see you then.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
I would always run Premiun if you can, we retarded the ignition on yours some to compensate. See you soon.
usually do... I remember Nicola telling me that you had mentioned that we didn't need premium in our superbikes as it just created more carbon deposits (hopefully I'm remembering this correctly) unless we had high compression pistons. Maybe you can offer some real insight to other on this board as well by answering this. does my 749R require premium? would the hyper make a little more power w/o the retarded timing if I always put premium in it?

*stopped by today to install those wheels, happy T-day if I don't see you tomorrow when I pick it up.*

·
Registered
176 Posts

This was exactly the graph I was looking for in that other intake thread.

I'm a believer. I'll be buying your stacks.

·
Registered
327 Posts
thread revival! why did the ducshop stop making/selling their stacks? I won't buy the WASP set up because I don't want the PCIII included in the bundle so Im' really only left with the TPO Beast-R. i guess beggars can't be choosers! :eek:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I sent ducshop an email not too long ago and they said there's just not enough demand for them anymore.

I ended up getting the corse dynamics ones from motowheels which they said are identical to the TPO Beast-R. They should know, they sell both of them...
CORSE DYNAMICS High Performance Intake Kit
They're way cheaper than the WASP kit at $279 (or $249 if you've got VIP pricing) and a little less than TPO, plus it includes the crankcase breather. I can't give a performance review yet though since they're going on this weekend and getting a dyno tune next Friday.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts