Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one try this??? I just got an e-mail from MNUFACT.::: I asked if the beast works with the SportClassics..

http://www.tpoparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=119&osCsid=b1d3aa5ce10b7f34594000998412df0a

Hi Cory,

Yes, it can. Both the BEAST and the BEAST-R will fit the GT 1000. I generally recommend the BEAST-R for all 1000 CC and larger engines, especially in conjunction with other mods such as exhaust, ecu, etc. On the smaller motors that were common when we first created these intakes (Monster 620 and 750, etc.) then there was a trade-off to consider. On those small engines, the standard kit works better for street use. However, the larger motors like the 1000 suck so much air that the BEAST-R is all-around better.

The only "hiccup" that you would encounter is that the kit does not include a coil bracket which fits the Sport Classic frame. The bracket supplied with the kit fits the Monster only. However, mounting the ignition coils is easily accomplished. Many of our customers simply use zip ties to mount the coils to the frame. If you prefer a more professional installation, then you can use P-clamps to mount the coils to the frame. We can supply these if you require them--they are very inexpensive. We can also work with you to make a billet aluminum bracket.

You will also need a crankcase vent filter kit in order to complete the installation, as well as an idle air filter kit. We have both of these kits in stock.

Thanks, and let me know if you have any further questions or if any of that wasn't clear!

Allan
www.tpoparts.com

Cory Williams wrote:
> Can this beast kit be used on my 09 Ducati GT 1000 sport classic , I have termignoni exhausts and ecu.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I went with the standard Beast kit on my 1000S, securing the coils to the frame as suggested...works great and no need for a PCIII. It would probably work better with one, but i've had no issues with mine using the termi's and ecu... Plug and play.

The other option is look into Wasps PUK... a lot of people have gotten great gains out of this kit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've got the -R on my Sport 1000 '06. Very happy with it. You can clamp coils to frame as they say, looks neat. I made a bracket for the rear one. The Wasp mounts are killer, I tried to get just the brackets, as I already had the Beast kit, but n/a alone. I would consider Wasp kit for easy clean install. I have TPO, Termi w/DP chip, and PCIII as my only performance upgrades and just had it dynoed at FBF and it showed 93.38hp. Not sure how that compares. Runs great, no pops, surges, backfires etc. The PCIII form FBF came with a map for a bike with my mods. I would mount crank breather higher up as Wasp does if you go with TPO, I had some blow by, but now that I consider it, it may have just been the red K&N oil initially.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Do a search. You'll find a link that I started. My bike has a high-compression 1078cc big-bore kit, DP cams, DP lightened flywheel, lightened/knife-edged, balanced, and polished crankshaft, DP race cams, Termi 2:1, DP ecu, 520 Chain/Sprocket conversion running 15/42 sprockets, TPO Beast-R, and PC-III w/custom map. It makes 98.25 HP and about 77 ftlbs of torque at the rear wheel. The numbers would probably be higher now that I'm running magnesium wheels and the motor's completely broken in.

With all of the changes that I've made to the motor, I needed the custom mapped PC-III.

The sound from the intake is AMAZING! I don't even hear the exhaust any more. All I hear is the intake honk.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I bought the regular one and I love it! I think it is an ok price for what you get. The R version though....honestly, those two things are big enough to flow a small block chevy. All in all, a 1000 cc motor is not a very big motor. Look at the original filter. Then look at 1 of the reg. beast intake filters. Then double that sense you have one for each cylinder. The R version is cool, BUT, unnecessary. I guess the big reason I didn't get the R version because for the extra money you do not get what you pay for, and I wasn't sure on the clearance of them fitting.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The TPO Beast intakes have allways seemed like a sound product at reasonable value, but if you are more inclined to want a "One Stop - Plug & Play" solution,,,, the WaspPUK is the best, most complete, and neatest there is.
There are no modifications required to your bike or any of the components removed and the WaspPUK will fit straight on to your 2006>2010 GT,PS,SC1000mono+Biposto, and SC1000S.

As mentioned (through out this and many threads) the WaspPUK is complete with:
* All brackets for mounting the ignition coils in the standard position, as well a house the PC3.
* Fully terminated Power-Commander3.
* Indinvidual/twin cylinder tuned fuel maps to suit your configuration.
* Computer optimised and dyno proven high volume billet velocity stacks.
* High flow/Long life K&N air-filters.
* Water repellent "Outerwears" filter covers.
* K&N mini filters for crankcase and air-idle breathers.
* All billet fittings and hose for mini filters.
* All stainless steel fasteners.
* 30+ pages/60+ high quality photo installation manual for "follow the bouncing ball" D.I.Y fitting.

We have sent many kits around the world and have personally installed seven kits at our dyno facility in Western Australia, with each bike having dyno runs before and after. We have consistantly achieved an average of around 7hp and 5ftlb increases (from Termi equipped bikes) with our kit. We are soon to release the new ECU that will negate the nead for a Termi ECU while still offering similar performance results.

Keep reading these pages.

Greg.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
The TPO Beast intakes have allways seemed like a sound product at reasonable value, but if you are more inclined to want a "One Stop - Plug & Play" solution,,,, the WaspPUK is the best, most complete, and neatest there is.
I would agree with Greg's comments - his kit is really the easiest of hte bunch. The TPO kit (of which I bought one) requires a little more thought, but Greg's really addressed just about every question there was in this kit.

As greg says, the TPO kit is a quality product - and if you were setting up a race bike, might be the way to go because that would leave you open to other options re: engine management. But for a street bike, his is pretty much all you need.

·
Registered
737 Posts
The sound from the intake is AMAZING! I don't even hear the exhaust any more. All I hear is the intake honk.
Absofrikkinlutely!! DrD's clips are what sold me on the kit in the first place. I'm sure the noise id equally as glorious if not more so with the Wasp kit ... It's really six of one and half a dozen of the other. Choose your weapon :D

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
There are no modifications required to your bike or any of the components removed and the WaspPUK will fit straight on to your 2006>2010 GT,PS,SC1000mono+Biposto, and SC1000S.

As mentioned (through out this and many threads) the WaspPUK is complete with:
* All brackets for mounting the ignition coils in the standard position, as well a house the PC3.
* Fully terminated Power-Commander3.
* Indinvidual/twin cylinder tuned fuel maps to suit your configuration.
* Computer optimised and dyno proven high volume billet velocity stacks.
* High flow/Long life K&N air-filters.
* Water repellent "Outerwears" filter covers.
* K&N mini filters for crankcase and air-idle breathers.
* All billet fittings and hose for mini filters.
* All stainless steel fasteners.
* 30+ pages/60+ high quality photo installation manual for "follow the bouncing ball" D.I.Y fitting.

We have sent many kits around the world and have personally installed seven kits at our dyno facility in Western Australia, with each bike having dyno runs before and after. We have consistantly achieved an average of around 7hp and 5ftlb increases (from Termi equipped bikes) with our kit. We are soon to release the new ECU that will negate the nead for a Termi ECU while still offering similar performance results.

Keep reading these pages.

Greg.
Have you done a map for the Boom Tubes Greg? I'm not too sure if they have even finished the SC ones yet?

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Greg, how do I go about getting one of your WaspPUK kits and how much are they?
To protect Greg's status here, and keep him on the right side of the vendor rules, just send him a PM and he will respond to you with details and pricing info.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Have you done a map for the Boom Tubes Greg? I'm not too sure if they have even finished the SC ones yet?
All I know of them is what has been posted on this site..
At the end of the day though, they are just another "open" style fuffler system not unlike Termis so our map for a Termi equiped bike would not be too far from the ballpark.. Would maybe just require a minor tweak on a dyno after install to optimize.

Greg, how do I go about getting one of your WaspPUK kits and how much are they?
pm sent.

To protect Greg's status here, and keep him on the right side of the vendor rules, just send him a PM and he will respond to you with details and pricing info.
Thanks Gary.. See above.

Greg.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
i bought a tpo kit back before waspie made his puk setup. here are my thoughts:

the tpo's sound great and add performance you can feel for sure. i love my current setup but if i were doing it now i'd buy greg's kit instead - here's why:

- to dial in the afr i had to buy a pcIII
- i then spent several hundred dollars on a custom map for my setup
- i had to create bracketry for the coils and ecu
- it didn't come with outerwear covers for the pod filters
- i had to buy filters and hoses for oil breather and auto-idle air intake
- all this took extra time, effort and $$ (separate shipping, sourcing, etc.)

greg's kit comes with everything i wound up buying/making (including the fuel maps) and his hardware is so nice i'm actually buying a set to replace my crappy home-made stuff.

while i haven't held one of his puk's in my hands, i have a couple of his products (tailchop, tmsd) and his stuff is absolutely top quality: well thought out, carefully tested and developed, excellent instructions, and you can talk directly to the owner if you have any questions. i'm confident that his puk will meet or beat the gains available with a tpo kit simply based on how much r&d went into making it specifically for our engines.

oh, and i don't work for greg either ;)

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
TRO beast VS wasp

seems like there are some similarities and some differences... Seems like there is a lot to check out and compare.....I know a guy that is working with both so maybe soon we will have some more info.

I'm still researching and haven't decided yet I'll keep this thread alive :think::think::think::think::think:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
After seeing this thread I went ahead and bought a set of the Beast R velocity stacks, filters and a PCIII. I run a Wasp puk kit in my GT and really like it but figured I'd try these in my 06 SC.

Although I bought the filters also, I thought I'd experiment with running *no* filters at all, since I only run this bike on the track. After tweaking the PCIII a bit, this thing howls. I like both this and the wasp kit but there is a very noticeable difference between the two:

1. The wasp kit gives noticeably more torque and makes the cool intake sound. The wasp kit makes the bike more of a wheelie-machine.
2. The filterless Beast intake makes more top end horsepower but has noticeably less torque. Out on the track the bike pulls strong all the way until I hit the rev limiter. Before I put the kit on I always shifted well before bouncing off the limiter because the bike seemed to flat out before then so shifting made sense. Last time at the track I was bouncing off the rev limiter repeatedly because I was pulling hard all the way to the top. After I got used to it I was able to shift in time but it really helped on the track.

Also, at full-on wide open throttle at 125 mph, the beast intakes make a cool howling noise that you can hear over the roar of the pipe and the motor.

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Over 140 the intakes are so loud that it hurt my ears.... But i love the whomp noise of the TPO when you roll on the throttle in low RPM.... I've never had a problem with mine and I've been using them for two years now.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cool

Hey Barfer...
thanks for the A/B comparison... and the follow up.. I'm still "Deciding" but even the addition of the K&N made a big improvement..
but to day I'm mourning that I discovered the dreadful..... TSS..."tank Spreading syndrome"

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
After seeing this thread I went ahead and bought a set of the Beast R velocity stacks, filters and a PCIII. I run a Wasp puk kit in my GT and really like it but figured I'd try these in my 06 SC.

Although I bought the filters also, I thought I'd experiment with running *no* filters at all, since I only run this bike on the track. After tweaking the PCIII a bit, this thing howls. I like both this and the wasp kit but there is a very noticeable difference between the two:

1. The wasp kit gives noticeably more torque and makes the cool intake sound. The wasp kit makes the bike more of a wheelie-machine.
2. The filterless Beast intake makes more top end horsepower but has noticeably less torque. Out on the track the bike pulls strong all the way until I hit the rev limiter. Before I put the kit on I always shifted well before bouncing off the limiter because the bike seemed to flat out before then so shifting made sense. Last time at the track I was bouncing off the rev limiter repeatedly because I was pulling hard all the way to the top. After I got used to it I was able to shift in time but it really helped on the track.

Also, at full-on wide open throttle at 125 mph, the beast intakes make a cool howling noise that you can hear over the roar of the pipe and the motor.
Since the Beast "R" had more top-end HP than the WaspPUK, would you say that it is more comparable to the standard TPO Beast? TPO says that the standard one is for more low to midrange. Aloha Alex

1 - 20 of 25 Posts