Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I probobly cant afford it right now with just haveing bought a house and trying to save money for grad school, but I've come to the realization that my 749s isnt the most comfrotable of machines unless you make a B-line for the country roads. I didnt have this problem with my R6.

So on that note I was just wondering what people would recomend for a nice fun town bike. I dont need a big engin, I just want something a little torquey with a fun powerband like the 749. I was considering maybe hunting down a used monster as I really like my fathers S4R around town. Also trying to take a look at the new R6 but their a bit pricy and the local dealer cant keep them on the floor long enough for me to even walk in and see it and their only 3min down the road!

If you got a suggestion please suggest why you might think I would like it.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
migz123 said:
Monster or SV650
SV's are a load of fun and can be bought VERY cheap too, plus you dont have the service bills

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I love my multistrudle, but they are probably out of your price range for a few more years. a buddy just bought an absolutely primo SV for $1500. he had to drive out 25 miles of dirt road to find the peoples house! they should have bought a dual sport in the first place. of course you might even think about a dual sport or a motard conversion if you are not going to do many freeway miles. they make great city bikes.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Before I cast a ballot, what bothers you about the 749? If it's just ergonomics, that can be fixed a lot cheaper than a new bike. I ride a 998 around town and it's perfect for me. But, that's me. What's your issue with your bike?

bruce19

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
main thing that bothers me are the ergonometrics and the fusion reactor that runs under the seat and toast your ass off. The bike is a torture rack under 55. I love the bike but _boy_ she can hurt! Its one of those love hate things :)

Yea cheep monster or SV650 was what I was tossing around. Price is kind of important here. It's not becasue I dont have money but because I'm trying to be semi-conservitive while having fun while saveing cash for grad school.

Hows an SV compare to a monster?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I vote SV650, you might even pick up a 1000 cheap too.
The Monster is a Ducati the SV isn't but other then that the SV pretty much walks away with everything else. Having been on both these are my observation.
1.Handling is about even but then you are talking around town so that's sort of a moot point.
2. HP - SV has the edge
3. Seating - SV has the nod there for me.
4. Maintenance costs - SV again
5. Price - SV hands down
6. Less likely to see the SV missing from your parking spot then the Duc.
All that said I don't think I'd spend the money on a bike if I was only riding it "around town". If I already had a 749 was saving for grad school I'd be taking the bus or riding a moped or bicycle.

·
Registered
319 Posts
although a different style of bike (you weren't specific) I love my KLR650. It is an upright seating position, has good torque and maneuvers around town with ease!! You can pick a new one up for about $5,000 OTD or a used one for "cheap".

I tool around town on mine and don't worry if I come out of a store and find it laying on the ground from some interested teens or a over confident parallel parker! Fun bike and a good bang for the buck, not to mention if you have fireroads around you it opens up a whole new arena for riding!!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I love my 900ss because it has alittle bit of everything i need. did not hear you say you are thinking of replacing the duc but need something more practicle for in town riding. I agree with the majority. get a inexpensive sv650 as a comprimse. Good luck

·
I'm NOT an AAAAA-d-m-i-n
210 Posts
I came to the same conclusion on my 748. I'll toss my vote for the SV650, but I have to put in a shameless plug for the ZRX1200. Retro 80's style, mondo power, simple to work on and just plain fun. Won't handle like SV, but what are ya b!t(hing about? You have a 749 too. Probably the best part is being connected to the gang at http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/. They are fanatical!

Good luck!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ninja 250? why? uses no gas? And whats a KLR650? Looks like one of those do everything bikes.

·
Registered
319 Posts
it is a dual sport single cylinder 650 made by kawasaki from 1987 to current with the only real change being the graphics over the years. It is a great city bike and a great hard packed dirt road bike. A little too heavy for any soft dirt stuff. Here is a pict:

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'd give the Multi 620 a good look. If the looks don't sour you it should be a great around towner/commuter.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I had a love hate relationship with my KLR650. unless you have long legs you might find the seat a bit tall. the brakes are a bit weak, but aroung town that should not be an issue. you should be able to find one fairly cheap.
the ninja 250 is an amazing value. great gas milage, you have to wind it out to get much power. I put 500 miles on one Thanksgiving weekend. did hwy 1 along the northern California coast. I lept up with everyone no problem even tho it was the smallest bike by far. of course the windy with few passing zone road helped.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Honda VTR 250.. still a LOOKS like a Monster 6series, change the mirrors and paint the tank flat back.. everyone will THINK it's still a Ducati... if you paint the tank 'dark' slap on a Duke sticker.

Good for over 400 km from the tank and 25 000 km + from the tyres.
Another bonus that annoyed me, I sold it to a work mate who rode it to 52 000 km, then had it written off by a taxi cab, Insurance buggered up and paid him out on the Honda VTR 1000... he got paid $2 700 MORE than he paid me!!

Mal

1 - 20 of 22 Posts