Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I fixed my 06' 800ss and started riding it again... I woodcraft clipons with spider grips and they make a my wrist hurt and I really want to ride this bike cross states. I know changing the seat is in on the TODO list as well as the 30mm slave clutch cylinder.

Any suggestions for improving the commuting/touring comfort level? Any experiences on touring on this bike or similar 99+ ss?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Probably the biggest comfort improvement you can make is to change out the clip-on mountings for something 1), higher and 2), with a more relaxed angle for the bars. Mine are from Fast by Ferraci.

Second, change the windshield for a design that moves the air higher, at mid-helmet height or better. I have a Zero Gravity and it made a big improvement, especially over 80 MPH.

Third, and this is very rider-specific, try a different seat. Some feel the Sargent or Corbin seats are great, but I'm fine with the stock seat.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have currently:

1. Stock seat
2. Woodcraft clip-ons... feel thinner than OEM, I am thinking of getting the Rinzoma grips for it since they are supposed to be thicker.
3. DB Zero G windshield (does make a good difference).
4. Stock rearsets... dunno if custom ones make a difference.

·
Registered
80 Posts
For what it's worth: I use Speedymoto clipons; not higher but an easier adjustable angle to the wrist was what cured my wrist pains.

Together with rotating my clutch lever to a more downwards position (biggest load on the wrist during breaking; operating the clutch for downshifting was what really triggered pain in my wrist as my lever made quite an angle with my fore arm. Rotating the clutch lever downwards solved that). I hope you understand my explanation.....

Good luck.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Okay, so here is what I did,

-I purchased a set of heli-bars for a forum member here. HUGE difference. I know cyclecats was more adjustable, but the helis were fine.

-Got the sargent seat, another great upgrade.

-then I just recently added lowered pegs from ducati designs(email paul, they arent on the page, but he has them in stock). The also have made my legs a "tad" less cramped. 1 inch drop, 1/2 back. (they are 360 degrees adjustable).

-crampbuster for the throttle hand

all 4 of these improvements equal less than 2 hours of work to install. I just got back from grand canyon (before the peg install) 1600 miles.

I didnt do the screen cause the wind hits me in the right place, right in the mid chest. Hold me up, takes pressure off the arms.

I am 6'1'' and these mods have made a HUGE difference.

My Duc is a 2000 SSie. similar to your duc in ergos, good luck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
angle on the ferraci mounts

Probably the biggest comfort improvement you can make is to change out the clip-on mountings for something 1), higher and 2), with a more relaxed angle for the bars. Mine are from Fast by Ferraci.

Second, change the windshield for a design that moves the air higher, at mid-helmet height or better. I have a Zero Gravity and it made a big improvement, especially over 80 MPH.

Third, and this is very rider-specific, try a different seat. Some feel the Sargent or Corbin seats are great, but I'm fine with the stock seat.
i have a 99 900ss, how much difference in the bar angle from stock to the ferrachi mounts. i am short and the agressive angle gets me after a few hours.
i have a corbin seat very comfy no complaints there
also i havent found any replacement screens anywhere

·
Registered
322 Posts
on my 99 900ssie i found the stock seat worked best. the corbin was a rock,the sargent raised me up to high putting more pressure on my wrists. the ferraci clipons are lots flatter than stock.i am dubious about adjustable clipons because you are limited by the fairing cutouts.the zero gravity touring screen worked well for me. i am 5-10.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
i have a 99 900ss, how much difference in the bar angle from stock to the ferrachi mounts. i am short and the agressive angle gets me after a few hours.
i have a corbin seat very comfy no complaints there
also i havent found any replacement screens anywhere
I'm 5'7" and the Ferracci clip-on mounts work fine. Zero Gravity has the windscreen you need.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I've heard the crampbuster is the best $10-ish dollars you'll ever spend on your bike.

Only downfall i've heard of is you have to get used to where its at on your throttle so you're not accidently hitting it and accelerating when you don't intend to.

I have Kyle USA clip on's, can't say I noticed a monster difference in riding comfort, it's fait to say it helped though. With the angle thats on the bars you can slightly adjust to your preference, with me only being 5"7, I angled mine back and slightly up.

Haven't tried a seat cause i don't see much benefit, nor does the price for one seem worth while. My ass just took a month or so to used to the stock one and now it's pretty rare to get so uncomfortable where i begin looking at a $300 option to make it better.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've heard the crampbuster is the best $10-ish dollars you'll ever spend on your bike.

Only downfall i've heard of is you have to get used to where its at on your throttle so you're not accidently hitting it and accelerating when you don't intend to.

I have Kyle USA clip on's, can't say I noticed a monster difference in riding comfort, it's fait to say it helped though. With the angle thats on the bars you can slightly adjust to your preference, with me only being 5"7, I angled mine back and slightly up.

Haven't tried a seat cause i don't see much benefit, nor does the price for one seem worth while. My ass just took a month or so to used to the stock one and now it's pretty rare to get so uncomfortable where i begin looking at a $300 option to make it better.
Why would you want a paddle on your throttle when you can add a nylon thumbscrew stop for less than $1.00 in parts and a little labor on your part?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Why would you want a paddle on your throttle when you can add a nylon thumbscrew stop for less than $1.00 in parts and a little labor on your part?
I haven't purchased one, just reviews and things i've heard about them. But you bring up an excellent point.

·
Registered
322 Posts
nylon thumbscrew

ahh, thats what that little hole is for.:think:

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I drilled a new hole in the throttle housing and threaded it to accept a nylon thumbscrew I bought at the local hardware store. It was located so it would contact the nylon throttle eccentric aft of the cable slot. The thumbscrew simply acts as a throttle stop when it is turned inwards. The thumbscrew is of a large enough diameter that I can turn it with gloved hands.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've been using a CrampBuster for the last few long trips I've taken on the bike (1300+ miles each). While they aren't a true cruise control, they are nice since it takes minimal pressure to maintain a throttle position. Last trip, which was a couple weeks ago, I actually forgot it at home, managed to find one at a Honda shop in British Columbia though. Personally I prefer these to a cruise-control type of thing (i.e. set screw or Throttlemeister) since I don't want to have the throttle pinned open in case any incidents happen.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've been using a CrampBuster for the last few long trips I've taken on the bike (1300+ miles each). While they aren't a true cruise control, they are nice since it takes minimal pressure to maintain a throttle position. Last trip, which was a couple weeks ago, I actually forgot it at home, managed to find one at a Honda shop in British Columbia though. Personally I prefer these to a cruise-control type of thing (i.e. set screw or Throttlemeister) since I don't want to have the throttle pinned open in case any incidents happen.
To each his own... I've used the thumb screw for over ten years now and it works fine. Your concern about a stuck throttle is real but I think the chances of that happening are very slim. I don't set the throttle screw so tight I can't rotate the throttle; just enough so I can let go for a few seconds to rest my arm.

·
Registered
207 Posts
That makes sense. At least one of my riding buddies using a Throttlemeister and loves it too. On really long stretches of freeway there are times where I definitely envy the ability to just leave the hands entirely off the bar for a while!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts